House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
munimula

Poole Tory Mp Website Survey Of Concerning Issues

http://www.pooleconservatives.org/survey.p...veyid=1&c=1

I've sent the following email to this MP (no reply yet);

Dear Robert Syms,

I am traditionally a Conservative voter but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the Conservative party, lots of PR exercises, little in the way of real substance in any policies. After 10 years of Labour spin I have no appetite for more of it.

The one thing that is of most importance to me is the issue of housing and this is not being addressed satisfactorily by any party. There is now a dividing line in society between those that bought property prior to the boom and those that didn't and are now unable to. Or if able to, only by taking on ridiculously large mortgages, further transferring wealth to older age groups and those involved in property investment and taking money away from other provisions like pensions. In the UK housing is no longer about owning a home to live in, it is also being used as an investment vehicle, often to support poor pension provisions. The problem with this is that limited supply really means there is not enough property for everyone to own multiple properties. First-time-buyers, like myself have to go head-to-head with those leveraging money from existing properties to fund further purchases.

David Cameron recently, on his own web site video blog said that he supports buy-to-let as he supports the increase in properties in the private rental sector. How does this help first-time-buyers? Fine, if as a party you support a dramatic increase in house building, but do you?

The only thing the Conservative party talk about it shared ownership. All this does is help support current high prices, in fact it could be argued it would push prices higher. It doesn't and will never help enough people and because rent still has to be paid the costs incurred are still far to high to be classed as reasonable housing costs.

Gordon Brown has just launched the idea of eco friendly 'new towns' but this will never address the problems as it seems building would be in just a few choosen areas. It won't relieve local pressures all over the country. I also question how serious he would be to releiving the housing problem when the success of the Labour party has been built on the back of a 10-year property boom funding consumption and providing economic growth.

Does the Conservative party choose to ignore the plight of those, generally under 30 that are priced out of the UK property market? Does it support a growing wealth divide in the UK and increasing wealth transfer to the older generations via property? Does it expect young people to bring up familes in small flats as these are the only properties within reach, or indeed being built in most areas, particulary areas like Poole. Does the party support 2nd home ownership, where taxation is still lower for 2nd homes when there is already pressure due to lack of supply?

I would be really interested to know whether the Conservative party is actually going to do anything to address this issue. If they are not then we can expect a further divide in society and as one of the 'priced out' generation I will not be compelled to vote Conservative.

Yours sincerely,

...and I should add that Poole has the title of 'most unaffordable place to buy in the UK'

due to very low wages, poor job prospects and the expensive housing here.

so for most people it is a big issue....not according to our Tory friends in parliament though.

I think my generation will just have to face upto the fact that it's a lifetime of debt slavery and retirement at 85 for us

...and I should add that Poole has the title of 'most unaffordable place to buy in the UK'

so for most people it is a big issue....not according to our Tory friends in parliament though.

I think my generation will just have to face upto the fact that it's a lifetime of debt slavery and retirement at 85 for us

This is what I can never get across to other people. If prices keep rising, this situation will spread nationwide, and there will be no point in working because it won't even put a roof over your head. At that point, the economy will fold.

You should come over the ferry to the Isle of Purbeck average house price 12.5 times average income.

Locals have been priced out by second home buyers.

Why would the Tories give a stuff about housing? Aside from being utmost nimbies in opposing any form of development.

Some of the electorate still live under the misapprehension that the political class actually care about them and act in their best interests :lol:

Guest Bart of Darkness
Some of the electorate still live under the misapprehension that the political class actually care about them and act in their best interests

I used to think along those lines, many years ago.

I don't anymore though.

Yes, I dare say their housing policies are even worse than New Labour.

Kirsty Allsop as an MP!

There is no political party that is going to do anything about the plight of the young when it comes to housing.

The only thing that will improve things is house prices crashing under changing market conditions.

To expect political parties to do something is probably folly

Guest d23
This is what I can never get across to other people. If prices keep rising, this situation will spread nationwide, and there will be no point in working because it won't even put a roof over your head. At that point, the economy will fold.

I've been unable to buy for years and it hasn't stopped me from having a roof over my head or think there is no point in working

It annoys me a lot but lets keep things in perspective

I've been unable to buy for years and it hasn't stopped me from having a roof over my head or think there is no point in working

It annoys me a lot but lets keep things in perspective

Yes, we all have roofs over our heads.