House Price Crash Forum
letsprocras

Has Anyone Contacted Landlords Directly?

Hello,

I've been looking around and it seems that it is fairly standard practice that even though you are paying all rent up front, you still need to have a credit report done and we've been quoted up to 250 for reports for two.

I feel uncomfortable doing such in case the landlord is unhappy that I should do a Land Registry search on him/her or would prefer to do it through the agency, who might give us grief if they find out we've tried to contact the landlord directly.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with by passing estate agents to contact landlords directly?

Any advice would be very valuable. Especially to whether you think that it is a good idea.

Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with by passing estate agents to contact landlords directly?

Any advice would be very valuable. Especially to whether you think that it is a good idea.

Thanks!

I think it unlikely that you would be successful in trying to bypass the agent where a property was advertised with them. The landlord will have signed a contract with the agent and having done so he would not be able to just sign a tenancy deal with you and not pay them a commisison. There is nothing wrong with contacting a LL direct but the likelihood is that he will refer you to the agent for the credit checks etc to be done.

Guest goat
I think it unlikely that you would be successful in trying to bypass the agent where a property was advertised with them. The landlord will have signed a contract with the agent and having done so he would not be able to just sign a tenancy deal with you and not pay them a commisison. There is nothing wrong with contacting a LL direct but the likelihood is that he will refer you to the agent for the credit checks etc to be done.

I think you're right. However, in the case of Letsprocras there is some suspicion that the agent is not passing on an offer (here to pay the full six months' rent upfront rather than in monthly instalments, conditional upon the credit search being waived). If I were the landlord I would want to have been told of the offer, and I would want to accept it. Moreover, by failing to pass the offer on the agent is in breach of the agency contract and the landlord would be at liberty to sack them and take the offer himself.

However, who knows how this particular landlord will react. They may not be all that bothered, they may have no mortgage, want nothing to do with the mechanics of renting the place, and just want an easy life.

Personally I would go ahead and do it as I have a very low opinion of agents who will connive and behave as dishonestly as they think they can get away with, whereas this particular tactic is not in any way unlawful. However, you may have a different approach to mine!

Goat

Hello,

I've been looking around and it seems that it is fairly standard practice that even though you are paying all rent up front, you still need to have a credit report done and we've been quoted up to 250 for reports for two.

They are ripping you off. It costs about £2 for a credit report from Experian / Equifax.

It is highly unlikely that the landlord will waive the requirement for one though.

The other option is to ask the agents for their details/the LLs details, so you can do a credit check on them... They after all, will be holding at least your deposit, if not 6 months rent - you want to know that the EA isn't going to go bust/that the LL is going to keep up with mortgage repayments on the place you're going to be living in.

Although, of course, it will only cost a couple of quid from Experian, but your admin fees for this are mighty high - say about £250 ish? ;)

Our plan was get a flat with money ahead of time out of our savings.

Get a job as soon as I get out of university while in the flat whilst my partner does the same (he's finding it difficult as home life is currently very stressful with bullies for mother and brother).

After 6 months, we should have a permanent job and have at least this flat's landlord as reference.

But the unemployment is making things very difficult. The last agent told us that 6 months ahead is bonus but unemployment may be a problem.

I dont understand what the problem is? There is no non-payment risks. Possibly unable to pay day to day bills?

Do they assume that unemployed people are difficult ppl to deal with? That we will naw away at their furniture or threaten the neighbours? Whilst molesting all the pets in the area?

We are sensible mature people who are friendly and just in a difficult situation, but lucky enough to have savings.

I dont think we will be contacting any landlords alone for reasons promoted here by members (thank you) and also considering how the three so far have problems with our unemployment status.

My partner was humiliated this morning by a lettings agency because he said that he was unemployed then was promptly told there was no point in even viewing the flat because of it. This was while the whole office was empty and all other agents listening.

Just feel so grr with the whole ordeal. But i suppose flat hunting is stressful for everyone anyway, just never thought letting agents could be so rude when they need your business. To a point now calling up an agency and hearing a friendly voice is a breath of fresh air and we forget what we were trying to ask in the first place.

We're still hopeful though and I've put up a couple of Wanted adverts. Hopefully we'll find somewhere with a nice landlord.

Edited by letsprocras

look for a landlord that doesnt use estate agents they do exist, estate agents are just a middle man out to make money.

Asian landlords typically like look after things themselves and to stick their noses in your bedrooms. Go for a ****, man!

BTW I have once contacted an English landlord directly and got a very cold welcome + nasty comments from LA. next time I contacted them I got termination notice. I avenged this by cancelling direct debit and overstaying my tenancy a bit :P