House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StrangeTimes

Boscombe, Dorset - £1m Flat

I saw this article today which gave me a laugh:

http://www.thisisdorset.net/news/tidnews/d...t_sandbanks.php

See if you can guess what the key phrase is?!!

No local in their right mind would pay £500k never mind a million on a flat in Boscombe. I used to live there and amazingly mamaged to escape without a durg habit, criminal record or a Scouse accent!!!

You could say the same of any area that has changed over the years. Take Clapham, Wandsworth, SOuth Kensington and the like.

The area mentioned in the article is a thin strip along the coast away from the seedier bits of Boscombe. Am almost tempted to make an offer on something thereabouts myself.

You could say the same of any area that has changed over the years. Take Clapham, Wandsworth, SOuth Kensington and the like.

The area mentioned in the article is a thin strip along the coast away from the seedier bits of Boscombe. Am almost tempted to make an offer on something thereabouts myself.

True but these parts of London have the benefit of being very close the booming City with the high incomes that it is producing. Obviously, Bournemouth's economy is nothing like this. The prices of these appartments, or Sandbanks in Poole are driven by money from outsdie the area, be it investors or second home owners.

The theory goes that if property prices fall or crash, elsewhere; up and coming areas with the high proportion of investors & second home owners get hit the hardest - as we are current seeing starting to happen in Spain.

If I were to buy a pad in the area, I would look to "established quality" such as Branksome Chine - might cost a bit more, but upmarket is always upmarket in the same way that Clapham will never become Knightsbridge.

He added two buyers from London had already looked at The Point penthouse and others from the capital had snapped up two-bedroom flats in the same block for around the £350,000 mark.

Why are buyers always reported to have "snapped up" new builds, as if they're naughty children fighting over the last chocolate biscuit. You'd think they just rushed in through the front door, pen uncapped and ready to sign on the dotted line before there's nothing left to buy.

So two Londoners (who may even have been together) looked at but didn't buy the penthouse...they're hardly beating them off with a dirty stick, are they.

Mr Neville-Jones added: "It's amazing when you think about the stigma Boscombe used to have. If you'd said 10 years ago there would be a flat in Boscombe on sale for £1 million people would have said You're mad.' "I can definitely see the trend continuing."

He says it himself, even if he doesn't mean it: the trend continues, it was mad to pay £1M 10 years ago and it's mad now too.

anto.

I was going to ask where are all these jobs that are going to support one bedroom flats for £145K ?????

Hmm I hear the 99p store and Lidyls will create 5 extra jobs :blink:

I noticed the travel agents has gone kaput in the high street.

And more

Still a lot of money sloshing around out there! :o

Illustrates that even if there is a crash there will be localised hot spots. After all, there's not an unlimited supply of flats close to the seafront with a sea view.

"This area is charming and is now being compared to Sandbanks. "Honeycombe Beach is a great development because of its fantastic location, practically on the seafront - the views are amazing and the sandy beach is a huge draw."

laugh ya socks off, thats one hell of a weird statement. the only huge draw your get at boscombe is a lump of black.

charming place is boscombe :blink: haven' t seen any dealers on the sandbanks or a 3rd world shopping centre.

maybe they mean Hastings ?

Edited by debtfree

they're hardly beating them off with a dirty stick, are they

They were when I stopped by to ask for some details of the properties... the Barratt Sales Woman asked how much I earned before she would let me into their sales beach hut. She was then decidedly sniffy... she probably thought (correctly) that I was a local.

The place really is on the sea front, with the prospect of rising sea levels your investment could just dissapear into a surf-reef generated tsunami.

Someone mentioned Branksome Chine as a better area to buy but seriously having lived in them both (well Canford Cliffs but it is the same thing) Boscome has quite a lot going for it. The beach is less crowded in summer and there are decent shops and cafes. 1 million is obviously silly money but a two bed flat is close to the seafront in somewhere like Boscombe Manor is probably "worth" around 80-90K.