House Price Crash Forum
Pedro

Electric Heating

Does anyone have any experience of electric heating? I've been looking at a few places to rent recently and some of them have this which I've never had before. My brother has electric heating in his studio flat and says it's OK, but I'm not sure if this applies to larger properties too. It sounds like you need to plan in advance, and you can't adjust it much during the day, but my question is - is the heating sufficient in the winter?

Does anyone have any experience - good or bad?

Does anyone have any experience of electric heating? I've been looking at a few places to rent recently and some of them have this which I've never had before. My brother has electric heating in his studio flat and says it's OK, but I'm not sure if this applies to larger properties too. It sounds like you need to plan in advance, and you can't adjust it much during the day, but my question is - is the heating sufficient in the winter?

Does anyone have any experience - good or bad?

Electric storage heating is best avoided in my view. You have it on at night when the electricity is cheap, and then it stays warm supposedly during the day. Like you say though, you have to plan ahead and keep a close check on the weather forecast! A sudden cold or warm spell and you are stuck. Depending on the type and size of house, you may also find it doesn't stay warm enough during the day.

Guest goat

I lived with electric heating only once (storage heating) in a new-build, well-insulated flat, and it worked OK. The flat had triple glazing and a large south-facing window that caught a lot of sun even in winter. I think that's the key. I have a friend with electric (non-storage) heating in a victorian terrace. The place is freezing from November to March and the electricity bill is astronomical.

You could ask to see the current tenants' electricity bills over the winter.

I currently have gas central heating which powers radiators around my flat, very ineffective and turned out expensive, I also have a standalone electric heater.

The radiators with the gas on full turned a freezing cold room to luke warm at best so made it bearable but certianly not hot, heating in my opinion should be hot enough to make you want to turn it off or down after a while. So there is periods of warmness with it turned off. Within 20 minutes of my gas central heating been turned off I can feel cold drafts again. Granted the place has horrid insulation so doesnt help.

The electric heater when turned on makes you feel hot within 5 minutes and the room stays warm for at least 30 minutes after I turn it off.

During the course of dec-feb I had my gas on about 6-8 hours a day and the electric heater on about 2 hours a day.

The electric bill which includes my computer,fridge,cooker,tv etc. as well as the heater was £35 for 3 months, the gas bill was £176. A guy I know who runs a bakery tells me electric is much cheaper to run then gas as well and after my experience I am inclined to believe him. Gas fires are effective but I havent got any :(

Edited by Chrysalis

I currently have gas central heating which powers radiators around my flat, very ineffective and turned out expensive, I also have a standalone electric heater.

The radiators with the gas on full turned a freezing cold room to luke warm at best so made it bearable but certianly not hot, heating in my opinion should be hot enough to make you want to turn it off or down after a while. So there is periods of warmness with it turned off. Within 20 minutes of my gas central heating been turned off I can feel cold drafts again. Granted the place has horrid insulation so doesnt help.

The electric heater when turned on makes you feel hot within 5 minutes and the room stays warm for at least 30 minutes after I turn it off.

During the course of dec-feb I had my gas on about 6-8 hours a day and the electric heater on about 2 hours a day.

The electric bill which includes my computer,fridge,cooker,tv etc. as well as the heater was £35 for 3 months, the gas bill was £176. A guy I know who runs a bakery tells me electric is much cheaper to run then gas as well and after my experience I am inclined to believe him. Gas fires are effective but I havent got any :(

Must people will want to heat the whole house not just a single room. If its costing you £35 a quater to heat one room electrically then x that by 5? (x2 bedroom, livingroom, kitchen, bathroom) and it suddenly looks a lot less economically(which trust me it is!)

Sounds like the heating system wasn't designed and installed properly. The radiators are probably too small to heat the rooms. Alternatively it could be a maintenance issue, the radiators may need power flushing or you could need a new pump. Modern condensing boilers are much more efficient too.

Re: storage heaters. If you can avoid properties with these ghastly energy guzzling monsters, please do. These horrible machines can easily add masses to your rent in winter unless you can cope with below zero temperatures.

ESPECIALLY (sorry to shout but I do want to emphasise this) avoid properties with the big bulky older style storage heaters, if you can. The ones that are a bit smaller and slimmer and have a boost button are not quite as expensive but are still not cheap. Old style storage heaters do give off quite a damp heat as well. On their own, they are completely ineffective and any heat built up is usually gone by 6 pm at the latest and you have to use convector heaters or portable radiators to top up what heat there is.

The last 3 flats I've lived in have all had storage heaters, two with old style storage heaters and one with newer style. With the older style ones bills of £100 and more a month were not uncommon in winter. In one flat even that wasn't enough to pay for the electricity and I used to often have to regularly make extra payments of £50 to keep in credit with the electricity company. All the properties were one bedroom flats, and both I and my partner were out during the day. In my experience this form of heating is the most pointless and expensive ever devised and you'd be better off with a few hot water bottles, tins of soup, electric blankets, and a camping stove!!

Unfortunately landlords seem to LOVE these kind of heaters, presumably because the houses they are attached to tend to be older and therefore cheaper to buy than new build. It does make me laugh and laugh when estate agents describe Economy 7 as a "benefit" when they advertise properties. (But then estate agents in general make me laugh, hollowly and hysterically, as do politicians, tabloid journalists and all who lie for a living!!) My current flat has storage heaters and my winter electricity bills were horrendous. I also found the level of heat was so low I had to buy convector heaters to top up the heat in the winter, which obviously didn't help with the bills. If all 3 heaters are on, they use 40 units per night. It might not sound like a lot, but over 6 months that's more than 7200 units. To give you a comparison, the smaller, neater storage heaters in a previous flat used 10-15 units per night for 3 heaters.

If you HAVE to have these horrible heaters, there is a slightly different tariff to the usual Economy 7 that does at least allow some heat during the evening/afternoon rather than at night. I wouldn't have known about it if a nice man from our local electricity company hadn't mentioned it. The tariff is Economy 10 (also known as Warmwise), which gives me 5 hours of cheaper electricity through the night, 3 hours in the early afternoon, and 2 hours in the evening. A calculation of my bill so far shows that the cheaper units will be 25% of the cost of what I was paying for the same power on the day units. Not all electricity companies offer this tariff though.

Oops, this was intended to be a short post! Help, I'm turning into a rabid storage heater hater!

Generally speaking I have found that storage heaters are expensive to run and as many other posters have said tned to not be warm by about 6pm when you really need it.

My feeling is that LLs install them and also some new build developers because they have a lower capital cost and are quicker to do than installation of central heating with radiator and gas boiler.

In other words, its saves LLs money and the cost is imposed on the tenants.

Must people will want to heat the whole house not just a single room. If its costing you £35 a quater to heat one room electrically then x that by 5? (x2 bedroom, livingroom, kitchen, bathroom) and it suddenly looks a lot less economically(which trust me it is!)

well I live on my own so I see it as a waste paying to heat rooms I am not in.

As I said the heater isnt costing £35 a quarter the £35 was for ALL electric in the flat.

Edited by Chrysalis

I've got a minute rented flat in a building built in the 1920s I would think.

It is heated from below by a restaurant and apparently the people above me are Spanish and like to live in a sauna.

Anyway I have 2 storage heaters. They are pretty useless. Even with a boost control which seems ineffectual.

You have to predict what the weather will be like the next day and increase your input in the night to have the heat to carry you through the day. When you are probably at work.

I have an electric meter with a key so I can see how much electrickery I am using in real time.

Over the winter I was using about £1.20 a day.

I am now using less than half that.

Incidentally using a desktop computer burns the old leccy at about a penny a minute. A decent electric shower costs 10p and tune the immersion heater on at night and off in the morning to save more cash.

Sounds like the heating system wasn't designed and installed properly. The radiators are probably too small to heat the rooms. Alternatively it could be a maintenance issue, the radiators may need power flushing or you could need a new pump. Modern condensing boilers are much more efficient too.

I would agree with this,

If you know anyone in the heating trade it would be worth asking them to calculate the radiator size for each room and compare to what you have.

The pump could be running slow and the system may require cleaning. It could also be the boiler temperature control is to low.

Its also worth adding Thermostatic Radiator Valves to every radiator apart from one (usually the bathroom or the room in which your room thermostat is located) so you can control the heat in each of the rooms.

Will save you a lot of money

FAVRE

With my radiators the gas boiler was on the highest temp. in fact for a while I accidently put it overiding the thermostat so the gas was always flowing regardless of how hot it got.

The hot water was hot, and touching the radiators were also hot, but they didnt seem to actually heat the room up well at all like the heat was limited to the radiator itself. There is what you could call ventilation holes at the top of them but putting hand over it dont feel any hot outgoing air at all.