Homeowners 'taking On Second Jobs'

HOLA441

Home "owners", or home "debtors"?

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/busi...ond+jobs/522452

Homeowners 'taking on second jobs'

Print this page

Last Modified: 20 May 2007

Source: PA News

Almost a fifth of Britons have had to take on a second job to maintain their lifestyle as interest rates and house prices soar, a survey has revealed.

"Our research shows that increasing numbers of people want to get more out of life than a nine to five salaried job can provide. One size no longer fits all," said Andy Wiggans of Bradford & Bingley.

LOL! talk about spinning it!

HOLA442
Home "owners", or home "debtors"?

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/busi...ond+jobs/522452

Homeowners 'taking on second jobs'

Print this page

Last Modified: 20 May 2007

Source: PA News

Almost a fifth of Britons have had to take on a second job to maintain their lifestyle as interest rates and house prices soar, a survey has revealed.

But surely it's worth taking on two jobs to get onto the housing ladder. That's the most important thing in an Englishman's life isn't it? :lol:

"Our research shows that increasing numbers of people want to get more out of life than a nine to five salaried job can provide. One size no longer fits all," said Andy Wiggans of Bradford & Bingley.

LOL! talk about spinning it!

HOLA443
HOLA444

"But surely it must be worth working two jobs and never seeing my kids or going on holiday - at least I'm on the housing ladder."

"This is my responsibility as a property obsessed Englishman."

"I have to get on the ladder now or I'll be locked out for ever."

"You're nothin in England if your not an OO." etc

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

This reminds me of an an evening radio phone in the other day, on couples that hardly ever spent any

time together because they were always working.

Mainly women ringing in saying they were having second thoughts about married life, it wasnt what they expected.

It was all work for both.

Of course they never mentioned the real reason for this, that they paid far too much for their house.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
More adventurous sidelines uncovered by the research compiled for High Street lender Bradford & Bingley include an astrologer, a diver, a ski instructor and Reiki practitioner.

Having fun with those bank forms.

I wonder what they put as their income!

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest Bart of Darkness
Almost a fifth of Britons have had to take on a second job to maintain their lifestyle

What, in Crash Gordon's miracle economy? There must be another reason for this.

There must! :o

Maybe the UK is turning into a nation of workaholics. :unsure:

Yes, that must be it. :)

They're doing it because they want to you see. It's a lifestyle choice.

I'm glad we've sorted that out.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

for both partners to work is pretty much the norm. I guess that if you want to start a family then one of the partners has to get two jobs to cover what is lost by the other staying at home.

or you have three jobs between the two of you to pay for childcare

what a nightmare :lol:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I found the article a big non event. People have had second jobs for years (centuries) and in fact evening work becomes part of some peoples social life. Writing a book and memoirs is another and even taking in a lodger is a second job for many.

The only relatively new angle is selling on Ebay....and why not....this is efficient recycling, whether you are green or blue.

For others it is called 'getting a life' often in preparation for a second career.

When you work at something you enjoy 'doing the hours' is irrelevant and you are re-energised.

Many people on this forum are actually working in a sense albeit unpaid....do you not notice how the minutes fly?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest Charlie The Tramp

All the 22 years I was an employed person I worked 6 days a week plus 13 hours regular overtime. This enabled Mrs CTT to pack up work 5 years into our marriage and allowing us to purchase a 4 bed detached house on 3x my single earnings in 1976.

Sadly they don`t make them like me anymore. :D:P

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest Charlie The Tramp
But the fact remains that a young Charlie couldn't achieve the same outcome today despite working the same hours (unless he took to dealing charlie)

There are many opportunities today for those who are savvy. You don`t have to be a City Whizz Kid or high up in IT to earn good money, or commit illegal acts.

The richest person I know left school at 15 and at 60 is still earning a fortune every day. He reminds me of Pa Larkin. :)