House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EmpiricalBear

Crash Of A Thousand Cuts

On the radio this morning was surprised to hear about the forthcoming (Monday) white paper on planning. The pre-release leak is that planning will be relaxed for home extensions etc.

This is just the sweetener of course...

The real meat is that the public enquiry process for things like new nuclear power stations will be shortcircuited. By 2012 might we even have a new runway for Heathrow to handle all the Olympic traffic?

However... this made me wonder about whether Brown might try a controlled deflation of the HPI bubble in the same way that he has masterminded the increase in tax revenue over the last 10 years via a series of stealthy tax innovations.

Surely, if people were allowed to extend lofts, build extensions, add conservatorys etc. without going through the planning process this would help reduce housing demand. People could more easily stay put instead of moving.

It would only have a little bit of impact on demand. But maybe over time, a bit more building of his eco-towns, a bit of a relaxation in planning, a bit of a reduction in the availability of credit and... over another 10 years things will be 'back to normal again' without anyone feeling that anything much has happened.

Surely, if people were allowed to extend lofts, build extensions, add conservatorys etc. without going through the planning process this would help reduce housing demand. People could more easily stay put instead of moving.

It would only have a little bit of impact on demand. But maybe over time, a bit more building of his eco-towns, a bit of a relaxation in planning, a bit of a reduction in the availability of credit and... over another 10 years things will be 'back to normal again' without anyone feeling that anything much has happened.

easier extensions, conversions etc. that add value to a house - when is the council tax reassessment due?

easier extensions, conversions etc. that add value to a house - when is the council tax reassessment due?

When its done I assume.

BUT the planning process means building control has to get involved. If you don't have to tell anyone will people build fallingdown things?

It's already done, but it won't be introduced until after the next general election, they don't want to do a maggie.

Changes are made for a reason, why extend, improve, and would you bother if there was nothing to be made from it? Most improvements are done, not to gain a better standard of living, but to hopefully make a few bob, or in other words a means to an end. Most of us are getting wise to the idea, things are not quite as easy as they used to be. ;)

Changes are made for a reason, why extend, improve, and would you bother if there was nothing to be made from it? Most improvements are done, not to gain a better standard of living, but to hopefully make a few bob, or in other words a means to an end. Most of us are getting wise to the idea, things are not quite as easy as they used to be. ;)

Not sure about that. I notice quite a few small family house sbeing extended around my way by the families living in them. These are not get rich quick amateur developers but people with a real need for an extra bedroom over the garage etc. These are people who cannot afford to trade up. If allowing extensions and so on to be done much more freely then there will be less need for people to move and a reduction in the need for larger family homes to be built which is where I think there really is an acute shortage - especially in the South East.

There was a story in the local paper about a woman having an extension to her house and it being deemed a separate property.

So they now have to pay two council tax bills at different bands.

Guest d23

i would have thought a lot of improvements (extensions etc) are done now because lots of people need more space but can't afford to 'move the ladder'

i would have thought a lot of improvements (extensions etc) are done now because lots of people need more space but can't afford to 'move the ladder'

yep, in our neck of woods 113K for extra bedroom, or 25K for loft conversion (was 15K 5 years ago).

Well, I would say if you have a property that you able to improve/extend go for it, if it brings you a better quality of life without the costs and taxes of moving.

But the property developers of the past who made a quick profit from updating and extending a downtrodden property that no one else wanted are long gone

When its done I assume.

BUT the planning process means building control has to get involved. If you don't have to tell anyone will people build fallingdown things?

I think you'll find that Building Control and Development Control are seperate departments and if you are building you have to make two seperate forms of application.

Hence "permitted development" currently may not require planning permission but may require building control approval

Edited by pricedout

Planning permission and building warrant are separate, and its the planning permission which will be relaxed. The worry with relaxing permitted development rights on house extensions is that people will butcher their property with awful extensions to maximise space. Huge loftspace conversions with unsightly box dormers, crap uPVC conservatories plastered all over the fronts of houses etc. Although this isnt too worrying on newer houses (as most of them aren't great to start with) it is a worry on the scores of attractive older properties and streets which are unlisted and not within a conservation area. This is just typical of this 'i want it all and i want it now' society which this govt panders to. Who cares about the visual damage some of these extensions could do (remember everyone has to look at these, and really bad extensions can devalue whole streets of property), as long as the brat culture gets what it wants now.

I just hope the govt is sensible in what it allows under these changes. (doubt it though)

Planning permission and building warrant are separate, and its the planning permission which will be relaxed. The worry with relaxing permitted development rights on house extensions is that people will butcher their property with awful extensions to maximise space. Huge loftspace conversions with unsightly box dormers, crap uPVC conservatories plastered all over the fronts of houses etc. Although this isnt too worrying on newer houses (as most of them aren't great to start with) it is a worry on the scores of attractive older properties and streets which are unlisted and not within a conservation area. This is just typical of this 'i want it all and i want it now' society which this govt panders to. Who cares about the visual damage some of these extensions could do (remember everyone has to look at these, and really bad extensions can devalue whole streets of property), as long as the brat culture gets what it wants now.

I just hope the govt is sensible in what it allows under these changes. (doubt it though)

Completely agree... but in reality this is being chipped away at anyway and the planning rules aren't flexible enough to cope. Who in their right mind would have created planning rules that allow people to replace suburban front gardens with parking spaces, yet planning hasn't prevented it. As a result, already sparse public on street parking space is reduced further while the environment suffers (less gardens to soak up rain run off now result in increased stress on London's sewage system).

Planning needs to be there and needs to be simpler and more flexible. Perhaps reducing the load from more minor applications will free up resources to do the more important things (some bloody hope!)

The aesthetic quality of every development could be improved by requiring the involvement in an ARB or RIBA accredited architect in drawing up the plans for any extension. Sure, there would still be bad results, but they would be better minimized by putting the time and money into a positive input in design than in a negative 'stick' preventing a development.

Edited by 2MeterBear

However... this made me wonder about whether Brown might try a controlled deflation of the HPI bubble in the same way that he has masterminded the increase in tax revenue over the last 10 years via a series of stealthy tax innovations.

Excellent news though. Brown is doing and saying all the right things. I don't really buy all that eco town stuff. Headline grabbing but not substantive. Things like this convince me that he is intent on doing the right thing.

I know it does not fit the he stole my pension, caused hpi and eats babies for breakfast script but where's Cameron? So far I have not heard a damp fart from him on housing.

He is also the only one promissing to pull the troops out of Iraq. Dump ID cards and that's the full set for me. I will be voting Labour this time round at this rate. Never thought I would say that.

Edited by gordonbrown

Excellent news though. Brown is doing and saying all the right things.

well, you would say that - with that username!

I don't really buy all that eco town stuff. Headline grabbing but not substantive.

...you don't buy your own proposals, you think they're not substantive... man, I should get down to the press with this!

Things like this convince me that he is intent on doing the right thing.

are you sufferring some form of schizophrenia...? :lol:

sorry - had to do that... on a more serious note; well at least back to the thread of conversation...

IMHO this is all just about more MEW... more MEW == more debt flowing around == propping up the economy for a bit longer and indebting the masses even more than they already are. Flow some more cash to the builders and joiners and B&Q for extensions and conservatories and you stave off the inevitable for a little while longer.

Well, at least long enough to have a think about who the blame donkey should be...