House Price Crash Forum

Tonsleys, Wandsworth Sw!8 Ldn

HOLA441
I don't live that far away but on the Battersea side of Clapham common. Been here for 8 years or so. Moving south of the river was something of a wrench but having got here I have found it very hard to move. Pre family it was fantastic for reasonable bars and restaurants all within walking distance, good transport to the West End and City and 5 minute drive to the Kings road and Chelsea/Knightsbridge.

Post family it offers everything for parents and kids in a pretty safe environment.

The only downside now is in order to upsize from my 4 bed house to a 5 bed or one with a slightly bigger garden I need to find an additional £300k which isn't going to happen for a few extra square metres.

My only choice now is to stay where I am or leave London and move to the country which is the plan. The only thing that might change that plan would be a good crash in prices that allowed us to trade up without a huge additional outlay.

How much do you think in thismarket I shouldbe paying for 3 bed with garden?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
How much do you think in thismarket I shouldbe paying for 3 bed with garden?

Very hard to say as there is a big gap between what I think you should pay and what is on offer. Put it this way my brother has just put his 2 bed flat with terrace on the outskirts of SW11 civilisation on the market for £400k. I very much doubt that you would find anything close to your expectations for less than £500-550k if not more. My 4.5 bed victorian terrace is valued at about £800k currently which £300k more than what I paid for it 3 years ago. Hosues are always in mopre demand round here than flats which also doesn't help.

If you skirt around the edges of the better areas you might find better value but to be honest i would simply hang on for a few months and see what happens to the market. You ahve very little to lose by waiting 6 months and very possibly a lot to gain. Even if prices dont' crash then they aren't going to rise in the next few months so you almost have a free bet on prices falling, except rent costs.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Firstly, I am not an estate agent and am unbiased – but I am looking to move from my flat to a larger house in SW London.

In answer to some of the comments:

• The houses are not all the same size in The Tonsleys – the houses on Fullerton Road and Dempster Road, for example, are 1,650 sq ft+ where they have been extended and attics converted. The smaller houses on say Dalby Road are smaller (circa 1,000 sq ft) and cheaper.
  • Old York Road has lots of successful local retailers so the Council’s policy clearly is working – Wandsworth Town is the main station in the area so there is plenty of passing trade.
  • In terms of there being ‘no value’ in this area this is probably the case across London – unless you are prepared to seriously compromise in terms of location, size, condition etc.
  • One reason why there is a sense of place is that the area is confined to a few streets – it is not row upon row of houses.
  • I think that some people are missing the point of this particular forum – if you are looking at the Tonsleys I assume you don’t want to live in the countryside. With £500,000 to spend in SW you can get a large (1,000 sq ft+) two or three bed flat in Clapham, Balham, Wandsworth, Battersea or Putney or a three bed terrace house in the scruffier parts of these areas or in Tooting, Colliers Wood, Southfields or Brixton.
  • There is no point saying that £750k+ is ridiculous for a house in SW London – that is how much they cost. And the idea about ‘waiting’ for a crash is silly – people were saying it was the top of the market when I bought my flat in 2001. The economy and population of London is continuing to grow so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

HOLA448
[*]There is no point saying that £750k+ is ridiculous for a house in SW London – that is how much they cost. And the idea about ‘waiting’ for a crash is silly – people were saying it was the top of the market when I bought my flat in 2001. The economy and population of London is continuing to grow so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

And this spouted from someone who puts on his avatar that he's a bear. :lol::lol::lol:

• 7 months later...
HOLA449

There is no point saying that £750k+ is ridiculous for a house in SW London – that is how much they cost. And the idea about ‘waiting’ for a crash is silly – people were saying it was the top of the market when I bought my flat in 2001. The economy and population of London is continuing to grow so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

How you feeling now? Will this area hold up? I just checked and they're still asking 800+

HOLA4410
There is no point saying that £750k+ is ridiculous for a house in SW London – that is how much they cost. And the idea about ‘waiting’ for a crash is silly – people were saying it was the top of the market when I bought my flat in 2001. The economy and population of London is continuing to grow so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

How you feeling now? Will this area hold up? I just checked and they're still asking 800+

But are they still getting 800k ? People moving into houses in Wandsworth were usually funding the purchase with the sale of other properties. Usually selling up a city centre flat to buy a wandsworth house and start family. If they can't sell their bachelor flats etc they won't be buying houses - plus with a recession round the corner many may be putting the 'lets have kids' on hold. I live in the area and believe the 2001 prices are true reflection of this areas value. Post again in six months time and I believe prices will be back to 2004 values, in 12 months they'll be back to 2001 values - I'll eat my hat if they are not. Only thing that will schew the market is the fact that so many houses have been converted into flats - perhaps we'll see the return of them being converted back?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

As I've posted before, much of inner London continues to rise.

People don't like commuting, for ANY money. The increase in quality of life through not having to battle with commuter trains is still worth paying a premium for.

Who knows what will happen. However now, the current reality is that there is no crash in central London. Some areas have seen small price drops over the last few months, some have seen price rises.

HOLA4413
25/01/2008 £950,000 Ter. F No Map 24, Coleford Road, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1AD

yes they are

Point taken although that sale is from January of this year probably from a chain setup in Autumn 2007 - will you be posting similar sales this June? I believe the only places that may hold up in SW18 will be the big houses to the south of Wandsworth common and the better properties on Westover Road.

HOLA4414
25/01/2008 £950,000 Ter. F No Map 24, Coleford Road, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1AD

yes they are

We looked at a house on Coleford Road in late summer 1999, not sure the exact house number but was "twenty something". We also looked and nearly bought one in Fullerton Road but it was too much of a stretch and we were worried (!) that prices were getting a bit too high (we still remembered the early 90s). The Fullerton Road place was then £325,000 - now priced around £800k. The Coleford Road place was in the same ball park price wise £300-350k but of course most of the houses down in the Tonsleys have had side/rear/roof extensions since then which will have "added value".

I don't know what they are really "worth" down there but best part of a million quid for an old (if extended) labourer's cottage sounds mad to me. I can see them back at £500-600k in a couple of years. Having said that, it is a cliquey area where a certain type of 20/30 something "PLU" with a city salary likes to live side by side with similar others/uni mates etc and nothing wrong with that if they want to pay to do so. It is locked off effectively on all sides by the A3 and the Wandsworth one way system so does offer (in the residents eyes) some "island exclusivity" which will always keeps its prices higher than average for such housing. If one can't afford to live there then do what we did and try the housing down between Wandsworth Common Northside and Earlsfield which offers more space/rooms and garden for much less money.

HOLA4415
  • 5 months later...
HOLA4416

Tonsley Hill 2007 to date. What slow down?

1 01/08/2008 £815,000 Ter. F/H No Map </map.php?pc=SW18+1BE&show=s> 27, Tonsley Hill, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1BE

2 25/04/2008 £769,250 Ter. F/H No Map </map.php?pc=SW18+1BE&show=s> 37, Tonsley Hill, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1BE

3 01/02/2008 £635,000 Ter. F/H No Map </map.php?pc=SW18+1BE&show=s> 29, Tonsley Hill, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1BE

4 07/12/2007 £750,000 Ter. F/H No Map </map.php?pc=SW18+1BE&show=s> 7, Tonsley Hill, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1BE

5 27/09/2007 £660,000 Ter. F/H No Map </map.php?pc=SW18+1BE&show=s> 3, Tonsley Hill, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1BE

6 13/08/2007 £693,000 Ter. F/H No Map </map.php?pc=SW18+1BE&show=s> 15, Tonsley Hill, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1BE

7 04/05/2007 £690,000 Ter. F/H No Map </map.php?pc=SW18+1BW&show=s> 59, Tonsley Hill, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1BW

8 30/03/2007 £562,500 Ter. F/H No Map </map.php?pc=SW18+1BB&show=s> 50, Tonsley Hill, Wandsworth, London, Greater London, SW18 1BB