House Price Crash Forum
Property Owning Democracy

Tonsleys, Wandsworth Sw!8 Ldn

Not up to date on recent prices but a quick search on one of the sites that feed off the land registry will get you a long way. Quite a lot of DINKYs and a diproportionate number of plastic porsches I think. Friends bought a place ther in 04 and sold a year later at a tidy profit despite the summer 05 doldrums. They bought on the advice of a friend of theirs who ran a local branch of Foxtons and also owned there on the basis that it offered the best potential uplift in the area (SW11/SW18) - I think he was right at the time given the way the bar and restaurant scene improved on East Hill and York Road - but I think the time of the big uplift came and went - Garch is right that if you head West or South from there it aint too pretty. Also the commute from Wandsworth Town is a game of sardines.

Not up to date on recent prices but a quick search on one of the sites that feed off the land registry will get you a long way. Quite a lot of DINKYs and a diproportionate number of plastic porsches I think. Friends bought a place ther in 04 and sold a year later at a tidy profit despite the summer 05 doldrums. They bought on the advice of a friend of theirs who ran a local branch of Foxtons and also owned there on the basis that it offered the best potential uplift in the area (SW11/SW18) - I think he was right at the time given the way the bar and restaurant scene improved on East Hill and York Road - but I think the time of the big uplift came and went - Garch is right that if you head West or South from there it aint too pretty. Also the commute from Wandsworth Town is a game of sardines.

Tnx. Seems that houses there sell for about 500k looking at the LR. But Cound an EA who seems to have the area pretty much wrapped up is selling them at 700 and the seem to be selling. He has a 3 bed at 815k under offer! Whats a DINKY? - And what do you mean plastic porsche?

Yeh I remember it was an EA beginning with C or something.

DINKY - Dual Income No Kids Yet - round that area likely a professional couple - so plenty of buying power.

Plastic Porsche = Boxster (as against 911 - real Porsche)

A yuppie isle in a sea of skank. Need anything else?

An isle? I don't think it's nearly that big. I'd say 50 yards in each direction and you're in that sea of skank.

Not somewhere in London I'd choose to spend my £700k for a rabbit hutch, if I had it.

An isle? I don't think it's nearly that big. I'd say 50 yards in each direction and you're in that sea of skank.

Not somewhere in London I'd choose to spend my £700k for a rabbit hutch, if I had it.

Spoke to agent on Saturday - says I will be lucjky to get 3 bed for 700 now - seemed totally serious - has a 3 bed on mkt for 825k - had a look round area - seems v smart and common just to east - but next to Europes busiest roundabout, 24 hour McDonalds , and sewage waste (seriously)...you gotta wonder

I think that's about par for the course. You're paying a lot for being 5 minutes walk from the train and some nice victorian houseing, but as others have posted, there's some less pleasant areas close by. I was mugged in Clapham Junction about 4 years ago and when the police came they took me on a tour looking for the suspect around all of the estates that back onto this area. (Round the back of St John's Hill, on the other side of the dual carriageway that goes over Wandsworth Bridge).

If you're willing to add 10 minutes to your commute, there are some nicer areas of Wandsworth for the same money.

I think that's about par for the course. You're paying a lot for being 5 minutes walk from the train and some nice victorian houseing, but as others have posted, there's some less pleasant areas close by. I was mugged in Clapham Junction about 4 years ago and when the police came they took me on a tour looking for the suspect around all of the estates that back onto this area. (Round the back of St John's Hill, on the other side of the dual carriageway that goes over Wandsworth Bridge).

If you're willing to add 10 minutes to your commute, there are some nicer areas of Wandsworth for the same money.

Tnx - however not that I can find...!

last night I actually bothered to print off some sold houses from land reg. and check them out round the Tonsleys. Houses have gone for 800, 700 & 685 - they are being marketed as high as 825 - Realm & Cound lical agents tell me they have gone at the asking price. The ad truth is there is no slowdown in SW London

Hi - just seen your post after you saw mine.

Each to their own but I never rated the Tonsleys very highly. It is a small area with hugely busy roads surrounding it ( wandworth one way / Trrinty road underpass / Swandon way/ York road / . With no green areas at all. It seems like a huge roundabout to me. It does have some nice Victorian house though that have been well restored and gentrified.

Have you ever thought of Earlsfield where there is tons of open space and a 3 bed for £500k is a reality - Earlsfield station is better connected too,,,

Hi - just seen your post after you saw mine.

Each to their own but I never rated the Tonsleys very highly. It is a small area with hugely busy roads surrounding it ( wandworth one way / Trrinty road underpass / Swandon way/ York road / . With no green areas at all. It seems like a huge roundabout to me. It does have some nice Victorian house though that have been well restored and gentrified.

Have you ever thought of Earlsfield where there is tons of open space and a 3 bed for £500k is a reality - Earlsfield station is better connected too,,,

Yeah that looks like where i'll end up - I started looking in Fulham :) ...! I like the Tonsleys though - I take yr point about the surround but oddly that contributes to the atmosphere - an island of well maintained homes with a few bars and restaurants etc. 20 mins from work (we don't all earn millions in the city) and Wandsworth Common only 10 mins away - although the grid of houses itself is not green - I agree. Putney close, St Johns Hill close. But a lot more value in Earlfield and not a bad area. I f you believe theres still value in housing...

Yeah that looks like where i'll end up - I started looking in Fulham :) ...! I like the Tonsleys though - I take yr point about the surround but oddly that contributes to the atmosphere - an island of well maintained homes with a few bars and restaurants etc. 20 mins from work (we don't all earn millions in the city) and Wandsworth Common only 10 mins away - although the grid of houses itself is not green - I agree. Putney close, St Johns Hill close. But a lot more value in Earlfield and not a bad area. I f you believe theres still value in housing...

True Old York Road is nice and futher up the hill are a couple of pubs which were good ( and I can't remember the names ). It is well kept and maintains some village feel - but as you say the prices have gone all 'Fulham' now. Best of luck!!!

At the prices you're talking I reckon you should check out SW11/SW12 Clapham Junction/Clapham South type areas. Much nicer 'hood IMO.

At the prices you're talking I reckon you should check out SW11/SW12 Clapham Junction/Clapham South type areas. Much nicer 'hood IMO.

Ive looked prices are similar. Theres a stretch ofhousing now from C ham Junction through to Wimbledon that is basically the most expensive in London after the areas that normal people will never get a look into - thats Chelsea Mayfair etc. One stretch of SW London that is basically unaffordable for 95% of people. It will keep getting nicer for that reason

Tnx - however not that I can find...!

Look on the west side of Balham High road, between Balham and Tooting Bec station. 4 beds at £750, but I don't think they're shifting at that level so make an offer. It's about the same walk to Balham overground which is 10 mins max to CJ. Plus on the Northern Line straight to the city if you can stand the heat......

Earlsfield is one for the future if you can bear to live there during the wait.

Guest Cletus VanDamme
http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=01848

5 bed, inches from main Wandsworth thoroughfare 1.1 Mil - I shoud have bought at 700 when I had the chance

Yep, it's really bad right now. Bears who didn't take my advice and buy in early 2006 have no option but to sit it out now for the next 5 or 6 years.

That includes me too, by the way :huh: I was outbid on a Barbican flat last year, so no option now but to wait it out with everyone else :(

5 bed, inches from main Wandsworth thoroughfare 1.1 Mil - I shoud have bought at 700 when I had the chance

or should have bought in 1996 at £200k - ah, hindsight - what a wonderful thing

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=01848

Looks like an astonishingly hideous, soulless place! Nothing 'luxurious' or particularly expensive-looking about it. It's even got laminated floors, I believe! And all the furniture looks as though it comes from Ikea. . .

Probably a reflection of the type of person who would buy such a place. :lol:

Guest Cletus VanDamme
or should have bought in 1996 at £200k - ah, hindsight - what a wonderful thing

It'll take a bloodbath before houses are ever that cheap again.