House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Leonard Hatred

Not Heard It For A While

Has anyone seen a mention of it recently? I certainly haven't.

BTW, if the house I saw the other day went from "Under offer" to "For Sale" again, does this mean that (statistically speaking) there's a house somewhere with 160 buyers? ;)

BTW, if the house I saw the other day went from "Under offer" to "For Sale" again, does this mean that (statistically speaking) there's a house somewhere with 160 buyers? ;)

My friend put his house up for sale 5 weeks ago with a price recomended by the EA and has had only one couple to view and he thought they were a bit dodgy.He rang the EA to see why there had been only one viewing and the EA said the market was a little slow at the moment.

SO MUCH FOR THE EIGHT BUYERS FOR EVERY HOUSE FOR SALE A FEW WEEKS AGO,I EXPECT THINGS WILL PICK UP WHEN ALL THE BUYERS COME BACK FROM HOLIDAY.SILLY ME FANCY SAYING THAT,SOUNDING JUST LIKE AN EA.

It was propaganda used to help start the mini boom of 2006, the maths doesnt add up

between 3% and 5% of all housing stock is up for sale at any one time. The uk has 25 million properties, which means 1.25 million are up for sale at anytime, if there were 80 buyers for each property that means the UK has 100m buyers which is much bigger than the entire population.

In reality there is only ever one buyer for each seller at a particular price.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Edited by moosetea

What this statistic probably means (although i'm guessing this is not the way it has been sold) is there are 80 potential buyers for any given area that an esetate agent looks after (lets say 10 square miles) which sounds about right.

well, theres a million homes for sale on rightmove, 25,000 completions per month, so thats about 80 homes per buyer in my estimation.

Some things were ever so ...

My dad, who was a lecturer at a polytechnic at the time[1], explained the 1960s expansion of Higher Education. They created the UCCA to make it less hassle for students to apply - all well and good. But the "real" reason[2] was that a form where you enter five choices of university. So for the purpose of govt reports and the expansion agenda, each student became five applicants for those scarce university places!

[1] Indeed, from before I was born until he retired.

[2] According to him.

To be honest I have never heard it, although a web search did show - this article as the only match.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/feb/1...siness.property

80 buyers for every sale: welcome to the property bun fight The Guardian, Saturday 10 February 2007

I am not that convinced that overall there was ever 80 buyers for each house. My sister sold her house in Dec 2006 and although she did achive asking price within a week of it going on market she had about 10 viewings and 3 offers. Thats not 80!

At the moment I suspect there are numerous (although maybe not 80) houses for every buyer!!!! Unless wouldbe buyers can be tempted by lower prices there will continue to be lots of hosues for each buyer. Only then will prices stabilise and its not for a while!

well, theres a million homes for sale on rightmove, 25,000 completions per month, so thats about 80 homes per buyer in my estimation.

This mst be part of Gordo's MasterPlan - increase the population by immigration from 60 to 80million. Then there will be 80 ppl per house in Rightmove!

Edited by dryrot