House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
It is different this time

The Media Are Still Pumping Hpi?

Nationwide: house prices to rise 8% rise in 2007

Rupert Jones

Thursday May 17, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Britain's biggest building society today predicted house prices would end this year up about 8%.

However, Nationwide's new boss appeared to question whether the housing market was ready for the arrival of controversial home information packs in two weeks' time.

Announcing record results for the year ending April 4, Nationwide's new chief executive Graham Beale said annual house price growth was running at 10.2% last month, but it expected the market to cool somewhat during the second half of the year...bla bla bla

You can read the rest here

Is it me or what? How do you read it? Something has gone up 10.2% so far this year but the final rise will be 8% so far so good. This is what I don't understand if product A is currently up by 10.2% but the expected rise is only 8% so the rest of year the increase of product A will dip by 28%

So our Great British media & lenders report house prices to rise 8% rise in 2007, but helloo if it is already up by 10.2% what clearly will happen is a drop of HPI up to 28%

so why can't they report it as "HPI to fall up to 28% following IR rises" or something like that. I just can't understand how they can just report HPI part but not the fall of it.

Obviously I wouldn't make a good reporter neither for media nor lenders!

The YoY is up 10.2% just now. That's May 2006-May 2007. Prices are actually up 4% this year so far, so by the end of the year, there only needs to be another 4% growth, which is actually over 8 months compared to the 4% in 4 months, to support the highest of their predictions. It certainly doesn't need a drop.

Is it me or what? How do you read it? Something has gone up 10.2% so far this year but the final rise will be 8% so far so good. This is what I don't understand if product A is currently up by 10.2% but the expected rise is only 8% so the rest of year the increase of product A will dip by 28%

So our Great British media & lenders report house prices to rise 8% rise in 2007, but helloo if it is already up by 10.2% what clearly will happen is a drop of HPI up to 28%

so why can't they report it as "HPI to fall up to 28% following IR rises" or something like that. I just can't understand how they can just report HPI part but not the fall of it.

The OP seems to have missed out one option - are they being stupid.

<_<

Newspapers are a business sector in decline; advertising money is going online.

Advertising revenues are the main way newspapers make money.

Look at how much property/bank advertising is in any paper you pick up - some have entire sections devoted to it!

Newspapers are a business sector in decline; advertising money is going online.

Advertising revenues are the main way newspapers make money.

Look at how much property/bank advertising is in any paper you pick up - some have entire sections devoted to it!

getting back on topic, I suggest you read the second post in thsi thread. All will be explained. The OP doesn't understand the concept of annualised figures.

getting back on topic, I suggest you read the second post in thsi thread. All will be explained. The OP doesn't understand the concept of annualised figures.

And I suggest you read the article. The predicted annualised figure, for 2007, is 8% increase however the fact is this increase will be 28% less than last year but of course we wouldn't expect VI & Media to report HPI fall would we?

If we all believed Nationwide & Halifax we wouldn't be here would we?