House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Winnie

C4 News Last Night

Guest Winnie

C4 News had a special report on IRs last night with Faisal Islam, their Business Editor sitting in the BoEs meeting room at the Treasury, basically saying they were being too slow in tackling inflation and were under GBs control. They talked about inflation being understated in the figures and in people's experience. He also highlighted the fact that Broon took mortgage payments/ HPI out of the inflation basket, against Merv's advice, and basically siad they should be put back in. The camera focused on the antique (aka out of touch) style of the room, and ended panning into a paitning of the first governor of the BoE, who was, in the last words of the report "diagnosed by Jung as being insane".....

Once C4 News get onto things they pulverise - they have upped the anti on Pat Hewitt in the last week, for eg. Faisal Islam is exactly the sort of potentially affluent FTB who is looking at a bleak HP future....if they start going ith this story it could be interesting. :P

C4 News had a special report on IRs last night with Faisal Islam, their Business Editor sitting in the BoEs meeting room at the Treasury, basically saying they were being too slow in tackling inflation and were under GBs control. They talked about inflation being understated in the figures and in people's experience. He also highlighted the fact that Broon took mortgage payments/ HPI out of the inflation basket, against Merv's advice, and basically siad they should be put back in. The camera focused on the antique (aka out of touch) style of the room, and ended panning into a paitning of the first governor of the BoE, who was, in the last words of the report "diagnosed by Jung as being insane".....

Once C4 News get onto things they pulverise - they have upped the anti on Pat Hewitt in the last week, for eg. Faisal Islam is exactly the sort of potentially affluent FTB who is looking at a bleak HP future....if they start going ith this story it could be interesting. :P

Channel 4 News rocks! Best news programme on the TV.

He also highlighted the fact that Broon took mortgage payments/ HPI out of the inflation basket, against Merv's advice, and basically siad they should be put back in.

Don't worry, once they start to slide, they will.

I remember watching all 3 news programmes a week ago after the BoE raised the IR. Not a single mention on the BBC and ITV news - they were full of St. Tony's leaving speech & ascention in heaven accompanied by the cheering of the masses. Only Channel 4 had a sizeable article on it. Mind you, it helps being an hour long....

Channel 4 News rocks! Best news programme on the TV.

Agreed. Channel 4 evening news is quality. I watch it almost every night.

I saw this too, it was excellent!

Faisal Islam wrote that great generational robbery piece in the Guardian recently - explosive stuff.

Does anyone know whether Liam Hallagan (sp) is still economics editor for Ch 4 news ? The Dispatches program he did on PFI was fantastic.

Edited by sossij

He also highlighted the fact that Broon took mortgage payments/ HPI out of the inflation basket, against Merv's advice, and basically siad they should be put back in.

Don't worry, once they start to slide, they will.

<_<

I'm sure you're right.

defo - the itv and bbc news are a small step from john craven's newsround.

Good point, but is that a small step up or down a level?! (sadly I think in at least one of their cases it is a good big step down :( )

Agreed. Channel 4 evening news is quality. I watch it almost every night.

It is good actually made by ITN but shows what you can do with a longer slot and a more serious focus.

I thought after the BB Racism scandal that the Politicians and other sections of the Media were trying to get C4 to lose its license. C4 to me seems to be the only channel that has quality documentaries and news exploring the war in Iraq etc and thus the Labour party hate it.

Newsnight is the only other news programme worth watching.

I never usually see BBC at 6pm, but was shocked the other month when their first item (ie the MOST IMPORTANT thing happening in the world that day) was the fact that Blue Peter had also had a phone-in scandal.

:o