House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustYield

Prince Harry - Kept Out Of Harms Way

Prince Harry will not be serving with his regiment, the Blues and Royals, in Iraq after all, it emerged today.

Do you think the Army is right not to deploy the third-in-line to the throne to a war zone? Is this U-turn a victory for common sense or a victory for the insurgents fighting British troops in Iraq?

"The last thing I said was there’s no way I’m going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my **** back home while my boys are out fighting for their country," Prince Harry once said. "That may sound very patriotic, but it’s true. It’s not the way anyone should really work."

I think he has to resign now if he is to retain any self-respect.

The UK's armed forces commanders and politicians are becoming a laughing stock. This must be bad PR for the Royal Family too?

What a farce.

I think the real fault lies with the Royal Familly/MoD for even allowing this discussion to get into the news in the first place. I think wherever possible a royal serving in the forces most certainly should be sent into combat but if Harry were to go to Iraq whatever unit he was in would be subjected to absolute hell from insurgents/terrorists/whatever. By having this discussion and then saying he won't go we've just ended up looking stupid.

He should have been sent quietly with nobody knowing... just another faceless British soldier to take his chances with the IEDs and mobs like any other.

I don't think he can carry on and look his men in the eye.

I don't blame him for this though.

I don't blame him for this though.

I'm not so sure. Great bit of PR. Anyone can claim they'd love to go over to iraq and 'have a go' knowing full well it would never be allowed to happen.

How are Tony Blairs children and the rest of the cabinet who started the war getting on in the services in Iraq?.

I have forgotton what Battalions Tony Blair's son fights in, anyone remember?.

Also, I have seem to have forgotten what regiment Tony Blair served in, with the war being such a success and WMD's now removed it takes the knowledge of an ex war hero like Tony Blair to declare war on a nation and send in the troops because he has first hand knowledge.

How are Tony Blairs children and the rest of the cabinet who started the war getting on in the services in Iraq?.

I have forgotton what Battalions Tony Blair's son fights in, anyone remember?.

Also, I have seem to have forgotten what regiment Tony Blair served in, with the war being such a success and WMD's now removed it takes the knowledge of an ex war hero like Tony Blair to declare war on a nation and send in the troops because he has first hand knowledge.

This is a point I've raised before.

When sending the forces to Iraq Blair blabbed on and on about how he agonised over his moral duty and god will be his judge, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wonder if he would have viewed his moral duty slightly differently were it that he would have been sending his own family to fight in a desstert hell-hole rather than someone elses. Call me cynical but I suspect it most certainly would have been.

This is a point I've raised before.

When sending the forces to Iraq Blair blabbed on and on about how he agonised over his moral duty and god will be his judge, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wonder if he would have viewed his moral duty slightly differently were it that he would have been sending his own family to fight in a desstert hell-hole rather than someone elses. Call me cynical but I suspect it most certainly would have been.

There was a good article in The Independant about 6 months ago highlighting the fact that national service and/or conscription would make many of the politicians (and the general public) a bit less gung ho about fighting an unecessary war.

When your family and friends are being blown to bits in the name of oil, your support for the war may start to dwindle.

I dont see how he cant resign. Whats he going to do? Hang about Salisbury plain for the rest of his career?

I dont see how he cant resign. Whats he going to do? Hang about Salisbury plain for the rest of his career?

Cotton wool brigade...chaaaaarge!

I think he has to resign now if he is to retain any self-respect.

The UK's armed forces commanders and politicians are becoming a laughing stock. This must be bad PR for the Royal Family too?

What a farce.

To be honest I think the royals will be gravely disappointed with the decision.

Harry's lineage aside,there does seem to be a code of honour among the monarchy here,something which our politicians have yet to grasp.

That being:we(the monarchs and sovereigns) will do our duty and get stuck in too,matching words with actions.That,at least commands a great deal of respect.This goes back to ancient times when kings would be among the soldiers,hacking each other to bits with broadswords.

If only our slimy parliamentarians had the balls to walk the walk.It would be rather amusing to watch TB and the gang deliberately getting an exocet missile to chase after them(like andrew did in the falklands)

Guest Charlie The Tramp
getting an exocet missile to chase after them(like andrew did in the falklands)

Andrew was kept well back from the front line, I remember he merely acted as a taxi service between ships.

I have a huge amount of respect for the Royals.

With all the so called trappings of luxury as printed by the press they chose to fight for their country, we should applaud them for being one of the few people who appreciate what has gone into building and defending this nation.

As for Harry, if the press had kept their big mouths shut he could have gone. As it is, Harry would be a liability should he serve in Iraq, and he would also be a serious liability for the troops that serve with him.

It is the right descision, and Harry retains his honour as a soldier as he has no control over the descision.

I have a huge amount of respect for the Royals.

With all the so called trappings of luxury as printed by the press they chose to fight for their country, we should applaud them for being one of the few people who appreciate what has gone into building and defending this nation.

As for Harry, if the press had kept their big mouths shut he could have gone. As it is, Harry would be a liability should he serve in Iraq, and he would also be a serious liability for the troops that serve with him.

It is the right descision, and Harry retains his honour as a soldier as he has no control over the descision.

I think you are right - the more I think about this the clearer it becomes that the press was to blame for his predicament. It's about time that editors realised we are at war and act accordingly and stop reporting and speculating on his every move. Harry is blameless in this and should be rightly furious.

Andrew was kept well back from the front line, I remember he merely acted as a taxi service between ships.

his job was to act as a decoy for incoming anti-ship missiles,like the one that blew up HMS sheffield.

Not a very nice job at all.