House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WSG

Jonathan Meades Gives Newbuilds A Kicking

Surprised no one has mentioned it but there was a prog on bbc2 tonight about 730ish which had jonathon meades (posh pertenious public school oik) taking the piss out of new build urban regeneration architecture, esp in manchetser and liverpool. very good it was an all....he may be a posh boy but he's no fool

Surprised no one has mentioned it but there was a prog on bbc2 tonight about 730ish which had jonathon meades (posh pertenious public school oik) taking the piss out of new build urban regeneration architecture, esp in manchetser and liverpool. very good it was an all....he may be a posh boy but he's no fool

He did a brilliant programme about travelling around with his father (who was a biscuit salesman and not posh at all) a couple of weeks ago experiencing architecture as a child and studing his mother's architecture books in the attic. It was a very touching and thought provoking programme and got rave reviews in the paper.

He knows a heck of a lot about ordinary vernacular architecture and what works and why - form the natural stone buildings of farm workers right through to railway sheds and even potting sheds.

I wish I had seen tonights offering. From the comments here he sounds like he was talking a great deal of sense.

Missed tonight's, saw the one Wad has mentioned - anout how Meade gained his interest in the environment around him during his childhood. Excellent piece of TV in a sea of crud.

He did a brilliant programme about travelling around with his father (who was a biscuit salesman and not posh at all) a couple of weeks ago experiencing architecture as a child and studing his mother's architecture books in the attic. It was a very touching and thought provoking programme and got rave reviews in the paper.

He knows a heck of a lot about ordinary vernacular architecture and what works and why - form the natural stone buildings of farm workers right through to railway sheds and even potting sheds.

I wish I had seen tonights offering. From the comments here he sounds like he was talking a great deal of sense.

I like Jonathan Meades, humanist and raconteur with his acerbic wit and it has nothing to do with the fact that he went to a good school. He has covered many subjects including both Hitler and Stalin with his documentaries and if he does not like something then he is not afraid to say so. I think he is right especially about Manchester as I was at University here and new builds started going up in areas where you would not walk alone in the day let alone at night and now they are valued at over 130K. The areas have not changed so I pity those buying.

Those buying a leasehold should be careful as they will need to buy the freehold if they are to have any security and this can be costly so take care if you are looking at BTL. I have heard no one mentioning this so let me be the first to say freeholds can be expensive if they are not purchased early. Leases with 80 years can now cost up to 5K and 5 years after this and you can be looking at 15- 28K if you have a particularly difficult freeholder. I have had this first hand from an estate agent so beware if you think a flat is a cheap option. Some mortgage companies are now stopping lending to those with leases of less than 70 years so those ignorant of these facts could end up in a difficult situation in the future maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but someday to paraphrase one of my favourite movies.