House Price Crash Forum
munimula

Boe Forecast 2% As Usual

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6660891.stm

In its report, the Bank said that it forecast inflation at 2% in two years' time.

And they've been wrong for at least the last couple of years so don't expect them to start getting it right now.

A year ago with interest rates at 4.5% the BoE predicted inflation now at 2% :lol::lol:

They haven't got a clue what inflation is going to do so everyone out there that's borrowed too much just better be praying that inflation is going to come back down. On recent past performance by the BoE I'd say we've got many more interest rates to come, they are so far behind the curve it's unbelievable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6660891.stm

And they've been wrong for at least the last couple of years so don't expect them to start getting it right now.

A year ago with interest rates at 4.5% the BoE predicted inflation now at 2% :lol::lol:

They haven't got a clue what inflation is going to do so everyone out there that's borrowed too much just better be praying that inflation is going to come back down. On recent past performance by the BoE I'd say we've got many more interest rates to come, they are so far behind the curve it's unbelievable.

Maybe they're predicting inflation at 2% cos they know they're gonna keep ramping IR's over the next 2 years until it comes down to there. :-)

Yeah but come on this is the Bank of England. They're hardly likely to say "Well, that's it we've totally given up on controlling money supply growth and the inflation figure's a lie. Buy gold before it's too late" now are they? The illusion of competance is vital to any government.

Yeah but come on this is the Bank of England. They're hardly likely to say "Well, that's it we've totally given up on controlling money supply growth and the inflation figure's a lie. Buy gold before it's too late" now are they? The illusion of competance is vital to any government.

The point is that the BoE are always predicting inflation to be 2% in two years time. This is the inflation target that they are aiming to hit, they adjust now to hit inflation target in two years time.

Last year when they predicted it would be 2% now that was based on interest rates staying at 4.5%, you need to look at the graphs in their inflation report to see their inflation prediction. 2 years ago with rates at around 3.5% guess what....they were predicting inflation now at 2%

BoE_cpi_projection_may_2005.JPG

It's always 2% based on their current interest rates which basically means that they are reacting reactively rather than proactively. They haven't got a clue what inflation is going to do so they'll wait too late as they have done already and then further rises will be necessary because they left it too late. This BoE is not in control of anything.

I could predict inflation at 2% in 2 years every quarter....and I wouldn't charge anyone for doing it :)

post-852-1179320068_thumb.jpg

Edited by munimula

The point is that the BoE are always predicting inflation to be 2% in two years time. This is the inflation target that they are aiming to hit, they adjust now to hit inflation target in two years time.

Last year when they predicted it would be 2% now that was based on interest rates staying at 4.5%, you need to look at the graphs in their inflation report to see their inflation prediction. 2 years ago with rates at around 3.5% guess what....they were predicting inflation now at 2%

BoE_cpi_projection_may_2005.JPG

It's always 2% based on their current interest rates which basically means that they are reacting reactively rather than proactively. They haven't got a clue what inflation is going to do so they'll wait too late as they have done already and then further rises will be necessary because they left it too late. This BoE is not in control of anything.

I could predict inflation at 2% in 2 years every quarter....and I wouldn't charge anyone for doing it :)

The thing I really like about that fanchart is that CPI at 3.1% isn't even within the upper limit of their projections. BTW am I correct in thinking that these fan charts are based on little more than market expectations?

That's funny. I'm always told how lucky I was to have high inflation as a homebuyer in the 70's.

But back then lending criteria was stricter so although it was a stretch to buy there was still slack in peoples budgets to absorb higher rates. Now the slack has gone so high inflation will result in high IR's and bang - there goes the house.

Guest grumpy-old-man
But back then lending criteria was stricter so although it was a stretch to buy there was still slack in peoples budgets to absorb higher rates. Now the slack has gone so high inflation will result in high IR's and bang - there goes the house.

that it a very important point. I remember it being so much harder to get a bank loan or a mortgage in those days.

When I was buying my first house I remember thinking how lucky I was to be accepted, now you can get a car loan whilst doing your weekly shop, ffs

High inflation and static house prices would soon bring slack back.

Just like in the 70's when you borrowed the maximum and had sleepness nights for a year, but then after a few years of double digit inflation, the repayments were suddenly far easier

Guest grumpy-old-man
I remember applying for a loan in 1995 and it being refused, I wanted 1K and was earning about 13K.

that's back in the days when a bank manager was exactly that & not a business manager, getting bonuses by the loan. <_<

everytime my wife goes into the bank she is asked does she want a loan. She also gets asked at the post office when she goes to buy stamps :blink:

it won't be long before McLoans are the order of the day, "so that's 2 chicken sandwiches, do you want a loan with that sir?" ;)

Just like in the 70's when you borrowed the maximum and had sleepness nights for a year, but then after a few years of double digit inflation, the repayments were suddenly far easier

The modern buyer relies on a combination of high wage inflation together with low IRs to make the purchase worthwhile in the long run. A highly implausible combination, I'm sure you'll agree.

Guest grumpy-old-man

you argument surely has a simple fatal flaw, why are employers going to give everyone big pay rises, or any type of rise above inflation ?

when we have an oversupply of cheap labour, that just doesn't make sense to me.

I assume you mean double digit wage inflation ?

Wage Inflation: 3.6%.

This is not the seventies.

Wage Inflation: 3.6%.

This is not the seventies.

Quite. This is a period of low inflation compared to the seventies. I was responding to the poster who spoke about inflation rising.

BTW, wage settlements are at about 4.5%

you argument surely has a simple fatal flaw, why are employers going to give everyone big pay rises, or any type of rise above inflation ? when we have an oversupply of cheap labour, that just doesn't make sense to me.

I assume you mean double digit wage inflation ?

I don't think employers will give everyone big pay rises actually. Which is precisely the reason I don't think inflation will grow too high.

The flaw in your argument is that you don't need wage increases above inflation to erode a fixed debt. You just need wage inflation.

If general prices and wages both rose by 10% per annum for 3 years. today's 200k mortgage would look a lot more sane.

Guest grumpy-old-man
I don't think employers will give everyone big pay rises actually. Which is precisely the reason I don't think inflation will grow too high.

The flaw in your argument is that you don't need wage increases above inflation to erode a fixed debt. You just need wage inflation.

If general prices and wages both rose by 10% per annum for 3 years. today's 200k mortgage would look a lot more sane.

that depends on whether you believe the inflation figures doesn't it ? & based on the BoE's run lately, I wouldn't pin too much hope on those figures. ;)

edited to add, who said the debt was fixed ? I don't know many people with a fixed 25 year mortgage, do you ?

Edited by grumpy-old-man

that depends on whether you believe the inflation figures doesn't it ? & based on the BoE's run lately, I wouldn't pin too much hope on those figures. ;)

But the inflation figures which you don't believe are the ones that the IRs are targetting. If the CPI is reading 2%, they're not going to increase IRs to 8%, on the grounds that they don't believe in the accuracy of the CPI. :rolleyes:

But the difference now is that higher IR's due to inflation combined with the borrowing multiples we are seeing these days will cause defaults. If people had sleepless nights back then when lending was restricted what do you think it will be like for recent homeowners who are stretched to the limit.

I'm not saying it was easy in previous decades so please look at this from an un-biased point of view.

edited to add, who said the debt was fixed ? I don't know many people with a fixed 25 year mortgage, do you ?

:rolleyes: Go away and think about what you've said, GOM.

I said the debt is fixed, not the interest rate. It's the originbal loan that erodes through wage inflation. Borrow 200k and its real value will erode with inflation.

I said the debt is fixed, not the interest rate. It's the originbal loan that erodes through wage inflation. Borrow 200k and its real value will erode with inflation.

But that's only if you can keep hold of the property in the crucial part of the mortgage - the first five years.

Guest grumpy-old-man
But the inflation figures which you don't believe are the ones that the IRs are targetting. If the CPI is reading 2%, they're not going to increase IRs to 8%, on the grounds that they don't believe in the accuracy of the CPI. :rolleyes:

it's simple at the end of the day.

You choose to believe the RPI/CPI & any inflation related figures, I do not.

But the difference now is that higher IR's due to inflation combined with the borrowing multiples we are seeing these days will cause defaults. If people had sleepless nights back then when lending was restricted what do you think it will be like for recent homeowners who are stretched to the limit.

I'm not saying it was easy in previous decades so please look at this from an un-biased point of view.

I don't disagree with you, but don't forget that people who took out high multiple mortgages will see those decrease as their wages increase.

Example, my son borrowed about 4.2 times salary originally, or thereabouts, but with wage rises this is now down to about 3.5ish after 16 months. If inflation (including wage inflation) increased, this process of debt erosion accelerates

Guest grumpy-old-man
:rolleyes: Go away and think about what you've said, GOM.

so you base all of your arguments on one key area, wage inflation going up. This is probably the worst area to base it on, as it's the area that has the least chance of going up based on our current economic status in the UK imo.

it's simple at the end of the day.

You choose to believe the RPI/CPI & any inflation related figures, I do not.

You are really confusing me now!

We're talking about the prospect for IRs and their effect on house prices. It doesn't matter if you or I think true inflation is 50%. The fact is that IRs are 5.5%, wage inflation is 4.5%, and CPI is 2.8%.