House Price Crash Forum

Markets will always sort themselves out if they are allowed to do so. At one time fridges were very expensive, but as more manufacturers built more fridges, the price came down. This would apply to housing too.

So what's stopping this ? Well, the one market in Britain that ISN'T free is the housing market, and that's because, since 1991, we've had the most stringent Planning Laws in the world.

The Tories tightened them in response to calls from their (home-owning) supporters, and in every local paper in the country you will read stories about how Tory (and Liberal) councillors have just stopped another housing development, after protests from Nimby's.

These selfish hypocrites are the real enemy, and I'm surprised this web-site doesn't discuss them more.

Yvette Cooper is currently trying to reform the Planning Laws to allow enough houses to be built for all of us. The Daily Mail brigade, the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England and many others are opposing her. We should ALL give her our support, and let her know that what she's doing is just and right for British society.

Markets will always sort themselves out if they are allowed to do so. At one time fridges were very expensive, but as more manufacturers built more fridges, the price came down. This would apply to housing too.

So what's stopping this ? Well, the one market in Britain that ISN'T free is the housing market, and that's because, since 1991, we've had the most stringent Planning Laws in the world.

The Tories tightened them in response to calls from their (home-owning) supporters, and in every local paper in the country you will read stories about how Tory (and Liberal) councillors have just stopped another housing development, after protests from Nimby's.

These selfish hypocrites are the real enemy, and I'm surprised this web-site doesn't discuss them more.

Yvette Cooper is currently trying to reform the Planning Laws to allow enough houses to be built for all of us. The Daily Mail brigade, the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England and many others are opposing her. We should ALL give her our support, and let her know that what she's doing is just and right for British society.

Nimby's, along with BTL Scum, Self Cert Bullsh*ters, Property Developing Idiots, Estate Agent Losers, Money Grabbing Banks, NuLabour A*seholes, Kirsty & Phil, The BOE, Babyboomer Pension Plans and all the Dumb Sheeple are responsible for this HPI Nightmare. :angry: (Think thats everybody)

Wish they would all just F**k Off. ;)

Yvette Cooper is currently trying to reform the Planning Laws to allow enough houses to be built for all of us

And who is "All of us"

The more houses we build, the more people will flock here from abroad.

There are plenty of houses being built, and in the supply chain for British Citizens, the pressure has come on immigration that was not factored into the plans of 10 years ago.

You cannot just increase the working population by 35% and expect public services, infrastructure, housing supply to just cope.

Like everything this Government have done, housing is yet another New Labour Disaster Area. Thank God they wont be here much longer.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

There's plenty being built, unfortunately it's places most people don't really want to live in (1 and 2 bed flats on ring-roads or next to railway lines).

Yvette Cooper's proposal aren't going to help anyone, except the developers.

The land needs to be given back to the people. If individuals could be allowed to buy a plot of land and construct a dwelling for themselves and their family, within reasonable constraints, that would be a start.

Yvette Cooper

She is Married to Ed Balls

The man who is jointly responsible with the Government for pushing house prices up and out of reach of young familes.

Like everything this Government have done, housing is yet another New Labour Disaster Area. Thank God they wont be here much longer.

With respect to housing problem there have been no better suggestions from the other parties.

In fact David Cameron stated on his web blog that he supports buy-to-let and growth of the private rental sector. And the Tories will never oppose 2nd home ownership.

Gordon Brown and Labour, for all their misgivings in being a part of creating the mess, might actually be one of the only people/parties that will do something to sort it out. They've collected the votes for creating a housing boom and now they look like they want the votes for creating a solution to the problems caused by the housing boom.

If a NIMBY brings up their concerns on 'concreting over the countryside' is ask them how much of the UK they think is developed. The usual response is 50% - I then pull the rug from under their feet by stating that it's 7%.

Has anyone thought of land reclamation from the sea, then using the power from the sea and building houses on the reclaimed land to finance it?

Imagine building a spit out into the ocean 200yds wide creating a Bay, financed by housing either side of the spit, turbines to trap the power of the incoming/outgoing tide. The whole project could be financed by the house sales, I would suspect 500k each for ocean views maybe more.

Green Energy, Solving housing crisis also.

Not where I live, theyve converted 5 bed houses into 10 studios, 3 bed houses into 3*2 bed flats, converted industrial buildings into flats, 3 petrol stations deleted and replaced with more flats, 5 years ago there were maybe 20 front gardens in my street and lots of parking on the street, now there are about 3 front gardens and the rest have been turned into carparks and the road is packed with parked cars. Used to be a quiet area but now noise all night, different nationalities have different cultures and some of those cultures revolve around noise 24/7. I very much suspect we are the recipient of every other councils nimbyism and we are near on desperate to get away from it, preferably to an intollerant nimby bourough.

I have to say I am a NIMBY and very happy with it too.

I selected a new house and made sure there was no social housing within miles around, I also made sure that the land surrounding was Greenfield for ever. Its the next best thing to a gated community.

Has anyone thought of land reclamation from the sea, then using the power from the sea and building houses on the reclaimed land to finance it?

Imagine building a spit out into the ocean 200yds wide creating a Bay, financed by housing either side of the spit, turbines to trap the power of the incoming/outgoing tide. The whole project could be financed by the house sales, I would suspect 500k each for ocean views maybe more.

Green Energy, Solving housing crisis also.

Yeah - the surfers in Cornwall are complaining about a sea-powered energy scheme that's just been proposed. Not in My Back Sea too.

Wemb

Why dont we use the English Channel for landfill, to create a United Europe, we could build houses on the landfill at a later date.

It would save a lot of people across the world from having to use the Channel Tunnel, or Planes to get to the UK. In addition, it makes sense if only for the savings on the Carbon Emmissions used for this travel.

Why dont we use the English Channel for landfill, to create a United Europe, we could build houses on the landfill at a later date.

Because it's one of the biggest shipping routes in the world? It's already somewhat of a landfill, that container ship decided to dump its load.

It would save a lot of people across the world from having to use the Channel Tunnel, or Planes to get to the UK. In addition, it makes sense if only for the savings on the Carbon Emmissions used for this travel.

You are, of course, joking?

Right, let’s start at the beginning…

There is not enough housing. FACT. Argue of the causes (demographic profiles shift, immigration, planning restrictions) all you like (I happen to be of the mind that it is a little of all the aforementioned), but supply and demand is in the actual building has had only a limited effect on prices.

The real effect on prices is the ease with which people can access the money to pay for houses. Stop lending so much, people have less to spend, and prices adjust accordingly.

Now, as for the rural / urban debate; I understand that CPRE (and others) are doing a pretty good job of ensuring that the serfs live in urban hell holes whilst the rich folk enjoy the splendour of Great Britain, but there is more to it than that.

Urbanised centres are far more efficient in terms of reducing the need to travel, the concentration of services, and the ability to support economies, then remote towns and villages. Yes, Britain is green (lots of it is undevelopable due to proximity to water, topography etc, so the % figure hides some more practical issues), but to spread out would cause transport problems like they have in the USA where not owning a car is nigh on impossible.

What is needed, IMO, is an accurate assessment of the housing need, so that real, credible demand figures can be crystallized. Once we have these, then we can figure out how many homes are needed. From here, we need to work out how best to accommodate new homes.

@ Laurejon – you are basically a hate-filled NIMBY of the highest order. You would essentially like for immigrants to be sent home, which may well solve some problems, and for the place that you live to be free of people who need social housing etc.

Well, I too would like to see less social housing; imagine a world where it wasn’t needed! Unfortunately this is but a dream, for there will always be greater and less persons than yourself. However, you need to remember that the home that you live in, right now, was almost certainly protested against by the then neighbour; think about the future, and the need of those less fortunate than you.

Edited by Objective Developer

there has to come a time when you physically cant build any more houses though doesnt there?

i think what many people fail to realise is that previous generations have built their houses in all the best 'bits' and we are now left with the table scraps. thinking that there will be a house price crash and that after a few years of turbulence you'll lead a life similar to people in the 60's and 70's with regard to housing costs etc. is totally unrealistic.

i firmly believe there will be a house price crash, but i also believe that everyone one on here still won't be able to afford one because there'll be no credit to buy them.

britain is in long term decline and has been since the 1970's. we are just witnessing the final blow off at the moment which might take some time to come crumbling down.

the world is going to be unrecognisable 20 years from now.

I think she is a NIMBY her self.

The real enemy are the people who let millions in, have a generous benefits system to encourage them and not think about where the houses will be.

My wife was told before she came - come to the UK they will give you a house. Sadly in her case they did not - but they do for many. But not for anyone who is of any benefit to the country.

I AM A NIMBY, I AM A NIMBY, I AM A NIMBY. THIS SMALL ISLAND IS MY BACK YARD!

I DO NOT WANT THE COUNTRYSIDE CONCRETED OVER. I want this country to remain as beautiful and verdant as possible for as long as possible.

There are thousands of empty brand new flats in city areas that people simply don't want to live in, but that doesn't mean the answer is build on the green belt, it just means the wrong sort of developments were built in the first place - a planning mistake I think!

I don't believe there is a real housing shortage in this country, or that this perceived shortage is the cause of HPI. There are plenty of places to live, it's just that for many people they are unaffordable (for many reasons) or undesireable, not because there aren't enough to go round. I think that most people aspire to live somewhere nice, which is one of the reasons millions flock to this country.

We need to utilise the space we have very carefully, and if we are so overcrowded as an island already why the hell are more immigrants allowed in such numbers when so many other essential resources are so streched?

I grew up in a city council estate, but that doesn't mean I am bitter or resentful of those who live in the countryside, I would just like a good standard of housing at affordable prices for everyone.

I AM A NIMBY, I AM A NIMBY, I AM A NIMBY. THIS SMALL ISLAND IS MY BACK YARD!

I DO NOT WANT THE COUNTRYSIDE CONCRETED OVER. I want this country to remain as beautiful and verdant as possible for as long as possible.

There are thousands of empty brand new flats in city areas that people simply don't want to live in, but that doesn't mean the answer is build on the green belt, it just means the wrong sort of developments were built in the first place - a planning mistake I think!

I don't believe there is a real housing shortage in this country, or that this perceived shortage is the cause of HPI. There are plenty of places to live, it's just that for many people they are unaffordable (for many reasons) or undesireable, not because there aren't enough to go round. I think that most people aspire to live somewhere nice, which is one of the reasons millions flock to this country.

We need to utilise the space we have very carefully, and if we are so overcrowded as an island already why the hell are more immigrants allowed in such numbers when so many other essential resources are so streched?

I grew up in a city council estate, but that doesn't mean I am bitter or resentful of those who live in the countryside, I would just like a good standard of housing at affordable prices for everyone.

Hear, and indeed hear!

You NIMBY ;)

They vote Labour or so Brown hopes. If a survey showed the reverse we would have the strictest immigration controls in the world.