House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hourkid

Stratford: The Olympic Village

I'm keen to read any views you may have on the whole Olympic Village thing going on in Stratford. There's a load of building going on and huge redevelopment planned even beyond the Olympics. A zone safe from the impending housing-market collapse, or a white elephant? Does anyone have experience of the area?

Guest Cletus VanDamme
I'm keen to read any views you may have on the whole Olympic Village thing going on in Stratford. There's a load of building going on and huge redevelopment planned even beyond the Olympics. A zone safe from the impending housing-market collapse, or a white elephant? Does anyone have experience of the area?

Well, it's going to be high-density housing, mostly flats, so I'm not sure it will be safe. Old money places with real houses will be safe, I'm not sure about toytown newbuilds.

Well, it's going to be high-density housing, mostly flats, so I'm not sure it will be safe. Old money places with real houses will be safe, I'm not sure about toytown newbuilds.

So all newbuilds are at risk? But Toytown new-builds are the only game in London Town. Once the quality stock has gone (nice family homes), and even the not so nice family homes; all of which are being bid-up by the latest cohort of lifestyle couples desperate for a garden and a postcode near some school, you're left with flats. That is, once you're priced out of 'real houses', eventually, buyers are going to have to lower their aspirations and accept gyms, communal gardens and greater security over damp properties and on-street parking.

To be clear, I'd prefer an old house, but isn't the real game new developments which are a response to changing socio-environment?

All the transport links in and around Stratford have improved over the years so that helps the area.

What effect the Olympics will bring is anyones guess.

Underused, expensive sporting facilities I imagine.

in differing ways stratford, clapton, hackney, peckham and lewisham are all going to be interesting to watch.

stratford is probably the one im least familiar with, but the transport links are excellent, but yes i get the impression newbuild oversupply. however the normal housing stock seems pretty good?

increasingly i think the newbuild crash is something separate from the normal hpc. this isnt to say that there isnt going to be a normal hpc, or that the two aren't intertwined. but these newbuilds are going to fall in value, regardless of other conditions, and they are going to fall disproportionately. some of them have been falling in a rising market (which must really suck!)

of the above places, i keep coming back to lewisham being a better bet than stratford though, much improved transport links, and quickly becomes ladywell, blackheath, brockley, very good housing areas, proper houses. newbuilds in the centre of course, but thats to be expected.

in differing ways stratford, clapton, hackney, peckham and lewisham are all going to be interesting to watch.

stratford is probably the one im least familiar with, but the transport links are excellent, but yes i get the impression newbuild oversupply. however the normal housing stock seems pretty good?

increasingly i think the newbuild crash is something separate from the normal hpc. this isnt to say that there isnt going to be a normal hpc, or that the two aren't intertwined. but these newbuilds are going to fall in value, regardless of other conditions, and they are going to fall disproportionately. some of them have been falling in a rising market (which must really suck!)

of the above places, i keep coming back to lewisham being a better bet than stratford though, much improved transport links, and quickly becomes ladywell, blackheath, brockley, very good housing areas, proper houses. newbuilds in the centre of course, but thats to be expected.

Stratford already falling:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=48813

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=48402

All the above areas are already toast.

The areas in general could easily halve in value, new-build / flats will drop through the floor as two years supply continues to fall into a dead market.

Bear in mind that you could buy a flat in the Isle of Dogs or Rotherhithe for £50k ten years ago.

Stratford, Royal Docks, Woolwich, Lewisham, Deptford, New Cross will be brilliant places to buy bargains at the bottom of the crash in preparation for the next boom.

Stratford already falling:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=48813

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=48402

All the above areas are already toast.

The areas in general could easily halve in value, new-build / flats will drop through the floor as two years supply continues to fall into a dead market.

Bear in mind that you could buy a flat in the Isle of Dogs or Rotherhithe for £50k ten years ago.

Stratford, Royal Docks, Woolwich, Lewisham, Deptford, New Cross will be brilliant places to buy bargains at the bottom of the crash in preparation for the next boom.

Agree wholeheartedly. All the previous arguments about the relative merits of the area & its transport links are more or less redundant in the face of a credit crunch. Of course we all aspire to 5 bed detached with gardens, great parking and transport links (and so own down the property food chain), but if the money to buy them isn't available, who will?