Oh Dear . . . 2.8% . . .

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erm...what part of this don't you get? :blink:

U.K. Inflation Exceeds Bank of England Target for a 12th Month

By Jennifer Ryan and Brian Swint

May 15 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. inflation exceeded the Bank of England's 2 percent target for a 12th month in April, a sign higher interest rates have yet to cool the economy.

Consumer prices rose 2.8 percent from a year earlier after increasing 3.1 percent in March, the most since 1997, the Office for National Statistics said today in London. The result matched the median forecast in a Bloomberg News survey of 39 economists. On the month, prices rose 0.3 percent.

The deviation in March forced Bank of England Governor Mervyn King to write to the government with the assurance that policy makers are determined to return inflation to target. The bank then raised its key interest rate to a six-year high on May 10, saying the risks to consumer prices remain ``tilted to the upside.''

``Inflation will be much more sticky on the way down to the target, and may not get there this year,'' said Jonathan Said, economist at the Centre for Economic and Business Research in London. ``The odds of another rate increase are rising.''

Investors are speculating the central bank will raise the benchmark interest rate a fifth time from the current 5.5 percent. The implied rate on the September futures contract was 5.94 percent at 8:49 a.m. today in London, up from 5.85 percent on April 16.

The contract settles to the three-month London interbank offered rate for the pound, which averaged about 15 basis points more than the central bank benchmark for the past decade.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Edited by Converted Lurker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6656899.stm

I await RB's trademark bo11ox tellin' anyone who'll listen that all is well. The crash is well underway . . . :lol:

You are the most boring person on this site.

It makes me laugh how on the profile tab, you say you are 'neither', yet you only ever post to slag bears off or to have a barney with someone.

And even when making a comment or posting a link about HPI/HPC, you use it as a dig at people.

Bore off will you...........

Shaddap . . .

So what if most analysts are predicting rates'll go up by another quarter . . . is that really going to crash the market ?? Lots of you reckoned 5.5% would have everyone running for the exits but I've yet to be bowled over by bailin' BTLers . . .

Fernando . . . if your bird's regular pilgramage to my gaff in Ladbroke Grove is anything to go by, my coming late is considered a very welcome and refreshing change . . .

You are the most boring person on this site.

It makes me laugh how on the profile tab, you say you are 'neither', yet you only ever post to slag bears off or to have a barney with someone.

And even when making a comment or posting a link about HPI/HPC, you use it as a dig at people.

Bore off will you...........

I don't care what you think . . . considering how much slagging off you do yourself.

Shaddap . . .

So what if most analysts are predicting rates'll go up by another quarter . . . is that really going to crash the market ?? Lots of you reckoned 5.5% would have everyone running for the exits but I've yet to be bowled over by bailin' BTLers . . .

Fernando . . . if your bird's regular pilgramage to my gaff in Ladbroke Grove is anything to go by, my coming late is considered a very welcome and refreshing change . . .

It is well known, and has been discussed on here at length, that there is a degree of hysteresis in the system. And you know that. You know that there at least three interest rate rises that have already occurred that won't have fed through yet. You know that a lot of people will be grinding the gears to find reverse as we speak. You know all this.

You sound a little defensive. Have you a vested interest?

official inflation figures are a load of chuff anyway, they mean nothing to the man in the street. The fall is put down to energy prices? Knackers, if inflation was anything to do with utility bills it would be sky high and just fallen a tiny bit, say from 10% to 9.8%.

What's the point of a government figure if its only purpose is to be manipulated to make the government look good?....Ah...I see!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I await RB's trademark bo11ox tellin' anyone who'll listen that all is well. The crash is well underway . . . :lol:

Sentiment is the most important thing. Those priced out or waiting are doing so with an immense sense of anticipation for the Schadenfreude that will befall the idiots. It no longer matters too much what interest rates do, the public consciousness for a crash is aroused and the tenuous credulity in the market of the past few years is waning very rapidly. I'm not wasting more than 20% of my salary on housing and there seem to be an awful lot of cheap rental properties out there in the meantime.

A predator in debt can only last at the whim of his masters. A predator in credit can keep feeding.

The CPI figures may well be pretty much made up to how Gordon sees fit, but in the end it is what real people experience. With higher bills in all areas, council tax, water rates, food, fuel etc etc it does not matter about the governments CPI figure, everyone knows that things are tight and eventually enough people will crack that they have to sell up. If i remember correctly, the CPI dropped to 2.8% before it went up to 3.1%. If Merv was relying on energy prices dropping out of the equation and thus lower CPI why did they only account for a 0.2% drop. They believe that factorys are confident in putting up prices. What a load of c**p. the company i work for is only having to keep on putting up prices because everythings becoming more expensive (raw materials) that coupled with higher interest rates is FORCING them to put up prices. It is a feedback loop and we all know how they go!

The planet is the same, greenhouse gases increase as temp increases which increases temp and so on and so on, until there is an Ice Age (planetary correction).

Richard

As lame as you are in mind and wit then I somewhat doubt you could get anyone into your 'Ladbroke Grove' gaff bar your own mum, keep trying though 'BULLET' you might get a bite one day. :lol:

Shaddap . . .

The CPI figures may well be pretty much made up to how Gordon sees fit, but in the end it is what real people experience. With higher bills in all areas, council tax, water rates, food, fuel etc etc it does not matter about the governments CPI figure, everyone knows that things are tight and eventually enough people will crack that they have to sell up. If i remember correctly, the CPI dropped to 2.8% before it went up to 3.1%. If Merv was relying on energy prices dropping out of the equation and thus lower CPI why did they only account for a 0.2% drop. They believe that factorys are confident in putting up prices. What a load of c**p. the company i work for is only having to keep on putting up prices because everythings becoming more expensive (raw materials) that coupled with higher interest rates is FORCING them to put up prices. It is a feedback loop and we all know how they go!

The planet is the same, greenhouse gases increase as temp increases which increases temp and so on and so on, until there is an Ice Age (planetary correction).

Richard

Regarding the planet, how sure are you of your knowledge of the factual basis for being able to predict what climate changes would occur regardless of man?

Guest X-QUORK
Regarding the planet, how sure are you of your knowledge of the factual basis for being able to predict what climate changes would occur regardless of man?

Exactly, and further to that, WTF has it got to do with this thread?

Indeed these processes operate anyway and are inevitable, it is the cycle of life. We may (or may not) be speeding up global warming but the outcome will be the same regardless. It has happened many times in the Earths past, and will continue to do so, even without human interference.

Exactly, and further to that, WTF has it got to do with this thread?

About as much as Inspector Clouseau.

As lame as you are in mind and wit then I somewhat doubt you could get anyone into your 'Ladbroke Grove' gaff bar your own mum, keep trying though 'BULLET' you might get a bite one day. :lol:

put the littel turdwrangler on ignore.

Makes for a fun thread - 20 posts of people slagging off 'tenroom'. :lol::lol::lol:

Excellent.

Although it would probably be better if the mods marked him down for what he is - a troll estate agent trying to get a rise out of the board.

2.8%? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Must be the cheaper petrol? No not that, its up quite a bit.

I know, cheaper heating oil? No, just paid for 1000 litres and its up again.

Must be cheaper rail travel then? No?

Okay, let's see--I got it--its the council tax decreases? No--they went UP about 5%? Okay, then it must be...

Got it! Food is cheaper--isn't it? No?**

Clothing-tat? No--factory gate prices up last report on manufactured goods.

I know---- the most critical thing of all--house prices? No, they say they went up at almost 4 timers the "inflation" rate so it can't be that.

This is it: WAGES!! No? Are you sure? Yup--wage push-inflation is near 4%.

Well then, WHAT is dropping in price to cause inflation to be the lowest in the world?

How can Merv bare it?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c65efaf8-02bb-11dc...00779e2340.html

UK inflation falls from record levels
By Jamie Chisholm, Economics Reporter
Published: May 15 2007 10:37 | Last updated: May 15 2007 11:11
Cheaper household utility bills last month helped push inflation down from its March high but analysts remained concerned about the
rising cost of food
The index of consumer prices rose by 0.3 per cent between March and April, taking the annual inflation rate to 2.8 per cent, the Office for National Statistics said on Tuesday.
However,
food prices jumped 6 per cent over the past 12 months
and rises in the price of clothing and restaurants added to the inflationary pressures.
“With food prices now rising consistently, not just in the UK but everywhere, it is increasingly difficult to dismiss rising food prices as erratic,” he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6645615.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 11 May 2007, 09:11 GMT 10:11 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Inflation 'pushing up pay deals'
Rising bonuses have kept wage inflation in check
The number of UK pay deals
above 4%
is picking up as level of inflation rises, according to a report from Income Data Services (IDS)
Edited by Realistbear

RB,

I blame the sole bank that changed the comission it charges on foreign exchange! :lol:

Food is going up at a 6% click. Quick Merv, better tell Gordon to get the ONS to drop it from the index, nobody pays cash for food any more - it just goes on the cards and doesn't count.

http://www.theretailbulletin.com/?tag=27bc...949a69ebeb4eb4c

CPI inflation down on last month's record

Tuesday May 15 2007

CPI annual inflation the Government's target measure was 2.8 per cent in April, down from 3.1 per cent in March, today's figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

The main downward pressure came from average gas and electricity bills

which fell on average this year but rose a year ago.There was also a large downward effect from financial services. This year, foreign exchange commission rates fell following the abolition of a charge from one major bank; last year, by contrast, average commission rates rose. In addition, fees for overdrafts fell this year but rose a year ago.

There were also small downward effects from: Furniture and household goods, mainly due to steeper cuts in the price of furniture this year, particularly bedroom furniture. This follows a record month-on-month increase in furniture prices in March 2007; and Air travel, particularly long haul routes, with fares rising by less than a year ago when the price collection period coincided with the Easter holiday period.

A large partially offsetting upward effect came from bus travel where prices rose this year but fell a year ago following the introduction of free off-peak local bus travel in England for disabled people and those aged over 60. The largest upward effect on the inflation rate came from men's and women's clothing, with prices rising this year following the introduction of higher priced replacement stock. Last year, by contrast, there was a mixture of special offers and higher prices.

Edited by OnlyMe