House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tara747

Utv Insight Wants You!

Copied from NI thread in case nobody sees it...

I have been chatting to a producer from UTV Insight, she's making a real balanced prog on the NI housing market and is keen to talk to those who do not toe the VI line!

Especially:

Priced-out FTBs who have good salaries and a deposit but just refuse to buy into the madness

Parents whose house is worth £££ but are suddenly seeing the negative effects of HPI as their offspring are priced out

Anyone who remembers the last UK crash (doccyboy?)

If anyone is interested, her number is 07920 053640. Can't wait to see the prog.

Copied from NI thread in case nobody sees it...

I have been chatting to a producer from UTV Insight, she's making a real balanced prog on the NI housing market and is keen to talk to those who do not toe the VI line!

Especially:

Priced-out FTBs who have good salaries and a deposit but just refuse to buy into the madness

Parents whose house is worth £££ but are suddenly seeing the negative effects of HPI as their offspring are priced out

Anyone who remembers the last UK crash (doccyboy?)

If anyone is interested, her number is 07920 053640. Can't wait to see the prog.

High quality, impartial journalism can be expected then :lol: . They could get a few hints and tips form big Trev McDonald on creating infomercial drivel, not so much news, just speculation.

High quality, impartial journalism can be expected then :lol: . They could get a few hints and tips form big Trev McDonald on creating infomercial drivel, not so much news, just speculation.

I can't tell whether that's meant to be a positive or negative comment...

Apparently Jamie Delargy (journo who's also involved in the prog) is v. bearish on the NI housing market.

I can't tell whether that's meant to be a positive or negative comment...

Apparently Jamie Delargy (journo who's also involved in the prog) is v. bearish on the NI housing market.

Like most of your posts Tara, its negative....

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by peemac

Wonder if Ms Gildernew, Sinn Fein, is activisting on behalf of FTBs. Her family were involved in a massive housing confrontation with the authorities at the beginning of The Troubles - has that translated into concern for todays priced out generation? - don't matter if your catholic or protestant these days!

Edited by gruffydd

Wonder if Ms Gildernew, Sinn Fein, is activisting on behalf of FTBs. Her family were involved in a massive housing confrontation with the authorities at the beginning of The Troubles - has that translated into concern for todays priced out generation? - don't matter if your catholic or protestant these days!

The Troubles actually started as a civil rights issue based on - you guessed it - lack of housing!

Might be worth contacting her about this.

Just a friendly dig. I'm checking the daftwatch at the mo', touching the 40k threshold.

Ah OK.

Yes, daft.ie is hovering around 39,800, exciting!

Found this on Web Tara - Ms Glildernew's family has a long history of grievances with the old Unionist-dominated Northern Ireland government when a single female secretary to a local UUP politician, who was in a relationship with a senior police officer. Emily Beattie (19 at the time), was given public housing in the town of Caledon in Tyrone over Gildernew's grandmother, the now-deceased Annie Gildernew, who had a large family. The Northern Ireland government at the time, was highly criticised across the world for dragging a pregnant Geraldine Gildernew (a daughter-in-law of Annie Gildernew) from the house while carrying a child in her arms.

And by Ms Gildernew herself:

When history was made

By Michelle Gildernew

In Caledon, County Tyrone there is a small housing development called Kinnard Park, a place that I had never been to until I was an adult, but somewhere that I heard about throughout my childhood. It was here in 1968 that my family were evicted from a house in an event that was to have major implications for my future and that of this country.

On their return from England in 1967 my aunt, her husband and their two young children found themselves homeless and had to live with my grandparents and their six grown-up children in a small house five miles from the village of Caledon. There was an appalling lack of housing in Tyrone and other parts of the Six Counties for Catholics as every ratepayer was entitled to a vote. By not giving Catholic families homes they were effectively disenfranchised and many were forced to live in cramped conditions or travel to England for a better standard of living.

In an attempt to remedy this situation my mother, grandmother, her sons and other members of the Brantry Republican Club (then an illegal organisation) entered into negotiations with the council asking them to build houses in the area. After much wrangling and with the aid of the local priest it was finally decided that 15 new houses would be built in Caledon and of those seven would be allocated to Catholics, eight to Protestants.

However, when the time came only one of the houses was allocated to a Catholic, an ex-serviceman from the British Army.

At this stage it was decided to take matters a step further and my aunt and her family moved in, in a squat that was to last for almost a year. There was no electricity or water in an attempt to drive them out. As they did not have a key, members of our family had to stay with them for their security. During this time the couple's third child was born and the Republican Club, of which my mother was secretary, started a publicity campaign, receiving letters from 10 Downing St, Buckingham Palace and the United Nations among others in an attempt to get the decision overturned, all to no avail.

When these avenues had failed they turned to the local MP and asked him take up the fight. He agreed, hence Austin Currie became involved.

However when the eviction notice was served and the date when the family were to be thrown out of the house loomed, Mr Currie's enthusiasm had waned and after the eviction he felt that the protest was over and nothing more could be done. Not to be deterred, however, members of the Republican Club decided to continue the struggle and took over the house next door. This one had been given to an unmarried Protestant girl, the secretary of a unionist politician and at this point Currie had to be cajoled into continuing the campaign.

The subsequent scenes of the forcible eviction of women and children struck a chord in the hearts of an oppressed people. Enough was enough, northern nationalism was coming off it knees.

Encouraged by the success of the Brantry Republican Club in drawing attention to the inequalities that existed, the first Civil Rights march from Coalisland to Dungannon was organised. Taking the Civil Rights Movement in the United States as a model, the Catholic population here, who had been refused basic human and civil rights for so long, began to demand those rights, turning a society on its head.

Over 30 years later, only some things have changed, and we are still fighting for our rights. Prophetically, on the morning of the eviction one of our neighbours asked our grandmother if we were making hay today. Her reply was: ``No, we're making history.'' Hopefully, the struggle is now coming to an end.

Edited by gruffydd

Found this on Web Tara - Ms Glildernew's family has a long history of grievances with the old Unionist-dominated Northern Ireland government when a single female secretary to a local UUP politician, who was in a relationship with a senior police officer. Emily Beattie (19 at the time), was given public housing in the town of Caledon in Tyrone over Gildernew's grandmother, the now-deceased Annie Gildernew, who had a large family. The Northern Ireland government at the time, was highly criticised across the world for dragging a pregnant Geraldine Gildernew (a daughter-in-law of Annie Gildernew) from the house while carrying a child in her arms.

Thanks. Will definitely contact her. She is the new agriculture minister in the Assembly.

Guest vicmac64
Thanks. Will definitely contact her. She is the new agriculture minister in the Assembly.

And while you are at it you might consider the following - I'm from the opposite side of the fence - (by the way from what I have read from her account of the treatment of ms Gildernews family can i say that this was a travesty) I believe in the equality of everyone in Northern Ireland including the old and the sick.... who I believe are being treated in a dastardly fashion at this present time.

Can I suggest a few questions for the reporter?? like - 'do you know how banks create mortgages?', 'what is the effect on money supply of such mortgages?', 'What is the effect of money supply on growing inflation?', 'how exposed are our banks to a collapse in house prices' - is it possible they could collapse on the back of it?

And thats just the start of it.

Now that there really does seem to be a demographic shift from being a nation of mostly homeowners to a nation mostly in rental accommodation,

maybe you could mention that the assembly should look at bringing back long-term tennancy agreements. That way people renting would have security - no rush to buy, no danger of being served up 2 months notice either - without the financial nightmare of buying, and as a nice side-effect it would remove a lot of speculators from the market too and encourage serious landlords.

Now that there really does seem to be a demographic shift from being a nation of mostly homeowners to a nation mostly in rental accommodation,

maybe you could mention that the assembly should look at bringing back long-term tennancy agreements. That way people renting would have security - no rush to buy, no danger of being served up 2 months notice either - without the financial nightmare of buying, and as a nice side-effect it would remove a lot of speculators from the market too and encourage serious landlords.

I think Margaret Ritchie is the Social Development Minister, she would be an interesting one to contact too!