House Price Crash Forum

Is Car Insurance Included In Inflation?

Dylan

Just to be clear, yeah car insurance is in both the CPI + RPI.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/articles/nojo...basket_2007.pdf

Rent is in CPI + RPI

Mortgage fees are in CPI + RPI (new item from 2007)

Mortgage interest payments are in RPI only

Credit card charges are also an interesting new inclusion from 2007 (in both CPI+RPI baskets)

I've yet to receive a competitive renewal quote for any insurance product. Norwich Union's home contents insurance being the most recent example I can think of. I managed to find equivalent cover for half their renewal price online, and improved cover (inc. accidental damage outside the home) that was around 20% cheaper.

They're just capitalising on peoples' inaction.

There's no way anyone should have to accept a 25% increase in any insurance premium, shop around and you'll find it cheaper.

Absolutely, I fully intend to. When I rang them to find out why it was so much, even they were surprised and couldn't explain it. I was curious whether this is a general trend (albeit not so severe), or whether the underwriters have changed something specific that affects me. Judging by the lack of 'me too' posts, it's probably the latter.

Got my renewal quote this morning - same address, same car, no claims or endorsements - 25% increase!

It's not inflation though - the price of cars is falling. Merely a reaction to several years poor returns. Aviva is a big player and is hoping other insurers will respond in kind, the opposite of a price war really.