House Price Crash Forum

Mervy Says Inflation Will Fall Sharply

HOLA441
Has anyone posted this? Can't see it...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....mp;in_page_id=2

Mr King, who last week had to write his first open letter to Gordon Brown after Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation reached 3.1%, said the spike in inflation had been caused by rising energy prices.

He said: 'CPI inflation has risen but now expect it to fall back - this could be a sharp fall back over the next four to six months.'

Mr King was giving evidence to the Treasury Select Committee on the 10 years of the banks' monetary policy committee (MPC), which took control of interest rates in 1997. The MPC is charged with keeping inflation within a 1% range of the bank's 2% inflation target.

The governor added that the committee's outlook for inflation was little changed despite March's rise and said that the MPC had to 'look through the fog to the medium-term prospects'.

Brown knew it a few months ago, Kings saying it now, CPIs going down (shake that basket till it hurts!)

I see, he is predicting a sharp fall in inflation. Is he looking in the same crystal ball which predicted the massive surge in inflation in the first place. If that is so he could have headed it off rather than run the embarrasment of writing an explanation letter to our Gord.

I suspect this is government pressure in trying to make light of a bad situation anf keep a lid on it. Its so transparent it won't happen.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I saw the parliamentry meeting today where he states this and its not quite as bullish as thisismoney makes out. Whilst he thinks inflation will come down in the short term he acknowledged that things werent so clear in the medium term and agreed with much of the article in the Times (or was it Telegraph?) today on the comments on money supply. The BoE know inflationary pressures are mounting.

Edited by housesforcourses

HOLA444
hey, Merv will have a face like that when next month's inflation figures come out. ;)
The governor added that the committee's outlook for inflation was little changed despite March's rise and said that the MPC had to 'look through the fog to the medium-term prospects'..

If you pull that face CPI looks like 2.1%

I'm sure before he said look at the data month on month and make a decision!

Now we're stumbling about in the fog!

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA445
HOLA446
Who says energy pxs will fall anyway? Who knows what they are going to do? Face it, the upward pressures are domestic.

The markets. They'll roughly follow oil prices - down 15% in dollars and 25% in sterling on a year ago. Obviously they won't fall that much as electricity companies and petrol retailers will use it to skim some profit, but they certainly won't go up - it's a fairly competitive market.

Of course, oil might go up again for some reason we can't yet see, related to weather, politics or war, then all bets would be off. Nonetheless, if you genuinely believe CPI will be 6% by Christmas, I am happy to have a substantial spread bet with you. I think it will be just below 3, having fallen to around 2.4 and then gone back up again.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest grumpy-old-man
The markets. They'll roughly follow oil prices - down 15% in dollars and 25% in sterling on a year ago. Obviously they won't fall that much as electricity companies and petrol retailers will use it to skim some profit, but they certainly won't go up - it's a fairly competitive market.

Of course, oil might go up again for some reason we can't yet see, related to weather, politics or war, then all bets would be off. Nonetheless, if you genuinely believe CPI will be 6% by Christmas, I am happy to have a substantial spread bet with you. I think it will be just below 3, having fallen to around 2.4 and then gone back up again.

do you have one of these crystal.gif

HOLA449
Merv has to say that, could you imagine the state of the stock market tomorrow if he said, "****ing hell help me someone, I thought I had it all under control but it would appear I've had my head up my ar$e".

He has had his head well above the paraphet for a long time, he just knows noboby is going to shoot at him.

Yet.

HOLA4410
Guest Charlie The Tramp

It`s that Global Inflation Monster you have to watch out for and those rascals on seeing inflation in the system use it to make that little bit extra.( we`re not talking Tesco here :D )

As in 1972 when Barber`s Boom let it out of the bottle it took over 20 years to re-cork it.

HOLA4411

Sorry, I meant interest rates at 6%. Not CPI! That would be something.

Three points jdc: Surely you are making a massive assumption when you say that oil "certainly won't go up" (unless related to weather, politics or war). But how can you assume that there won't be any bad weather, political changes or war? In fact it's probably more likely than not. My point was that it is impossible to predict these things.

Secondly, although Merv has quoted energy prices as pushing up CPI, wasn't it also driven also by domestic prices not affected by energy?

Thirdly, what's the point in having a bet with me about inflation when not even Mervyn King could predict the 3.1 figure. Otherwise they would have raised interest rates more in previous months.

HOLA4412
Sorry, I meant interest rates at 6%. Not CPI! That would be something.

Three points jdc: Surely you are making a massive assumption when you say that oil "certainly won't go up" (unless related to weather, politics or war). But how can you assume that there won't be any bad weather, political changes or war? In fact it's probably more likely than not. My point was that it is impossible to predict these things.

Secondly, although Merv has quoted energy prices as pushing up CPI, wasn't it also driven also by domestic prices not affected by energy?

Thirdly, what's the point in having a bet with me about inflation when not even Mervyn King could predict the 3.1 figure. Otherwise they would have raised interest rates more in previous months.

Fair enough. For what it's worth while (with reasonable savings and 0 debts) I'd like to see 6% interest rates, I anticipate two .25% increases to 5.75% and then sticking there for some time.

1) I'm making a bit of an assumption - oil might go up a bit, but I was talking about energy prices. For them to go up over the next few month oil would have to go up by over 25% very soon. I don't see it.

2) Yes, of course there are other things, but actually they mostly are affected by energy too - furniture prices are furniture, but they're affected by the cost of making them in an electric factory, the cost of driving them to the shop, and the cost of lighting the showroom.

3) I wouldn't bet with someone on .5% either way, but when I thought you were forecasting 6%, I'd be happy to have a bet on that basis!

Edited by jdc

HOLA4413
Fair enough. For what it's worth while (with reasonable savings and 0 debts) I'd like to see 6% interest rates, I anticipate two .25% increases to 5.75% and then sticking there for some time.

5.75% is certainly priced in, the December contract for Short Sterling is 5.88% so odds slightly favour a potential 6% move.

HOLA4414
Has anyone posted this? Can't see it...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....mp;in_page_id=2

Mr King, who last week had to write his first open letter to Gordon Brown after Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation reached 3.1%, said the spike in inflation had been caused by rising energy prices.

He said: 'CPI inflation has risen now expect it to fall back - this could be a sharp fall back over the next four to six months.'

Mr King was giving evidence to the Treasury Select Committee on the 10 years of the banks' monetary policy committee (MPC), which took control of interest rates in 1997. The MPC is charged with keeping inflation within a 1% range of the bank's 2% inflation target.

The governor added that the committee's outlook for inflation was little changed despite March's rise and said that the MPC had to 'look through the fog to the medium-term prospects'.

Brown knew it a few months ago, Kings saying it now, CPIs going down (shake that basket till it hurts!)

He has to say that.

Its all about managing the expectation of inflation.

Got to do all they can to spike the guns of the public sector unions, dont you know?

Edited by Johnny Cash

HOLA4415

If you watched the select commitee yesterday you will have heard his explanation. He has said that the recent fall in gas and oil wholesale price will feed through later this year bringing inflation back on target.

Dont hold your breath, utillities only know one way when making price adjustments and thats not down.

HOLA4416
What happens if CPI is still >3% next month? Will he have to write another letter?

The MPC has 3 months of over target CPI before they have to write another letter.

Edited by Jason

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...25/cnking25.xml

King says BoE not to blame for inflation
By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
Last Updated: 1:04am BST 25/04/2007
Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, has defended the bank's inflation policies against a barrage of criticism from economists and denied that surging growth in the money supply is the central cause of Britain's frothy economy.
Mr King, appearing before the Commons Treasury committee, said the main driver behind the property and stock boom has been the flood of global liquidity.

Now comes the finger pointing. No clearer sign that Gordon's HPI-MEW miracle is O V E R. Finito. Done. Terminated.

Should Merv carry the blame? Yes. If he didn't like what Gordon was doing he should have resigned. No Nuremberg defence for poor old Merv. I would have done so in August 2005 when the BoE dropped rates.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I still dont see any media comment about the WEEE directive

Everyone on this site keeps banging on about DVD players going down in value

But as far as I know on July the 1st all electrical items are going to go up in price as the manufacturers have to start paying for the recycling process.

People are talking about 3% increases so what must be the effect on the CPI figures if there is a universal increase on the same day. King must know about this?

Unless the government are intending to take out the 'recycling component' of the cost of these goods which would be very dishonest.

HOLA4422
I still dont see any media comment about the WEEE directive

Everyone on this site keeps banging on about DVD players going down in value

But as far as I know on July the 1st all electrical items are going to go up in price as the manufacturers have to start paying for the recycling process.

People are talking about 3% increases so what must be the effect on the CPI figures if there is a universal increase on the same day. King must know about this?

Unless the government are intending to take out the 'recycling component' of the cost of these goods which would be very dishonest.

The WEEE "entitlement" will be hedonically adjusted as increased 'value added' for the consumer.

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Oil at $68 today. Merv said energy prices would fall back and reduce inflation.

Nuff said.

Yep,exactly the position of one year ago.Merv was hoping for deflation to mask his f**k ups of the past.He is now counting on it sticking or falling,which will bring it back into deflationary territory;last year it continued to climb a further $10 into the summer

HOLA4425

OK. Three things.

1) Core inflation has surged. Everyone keeps banging on about food and energy. It doesn't matter, everything is rising in price because of inflation expectations.

2) Mervyn said last week "The MPC must ensure that inflation expectations are anchored on the 2% target. It is importnat to prevent that anchor from dragging." Why do you think he is always making these falling inflation predictions?

3) Inflation is approx 10% in China. Does no one suspect this is now feeding through?

We are now entering a period of higher consumer prices, higher interest rates and lower asset prices. A triple whammy for homeowners.