House Price Crash Forum

Chip Price Inflation

MarkG

HOLA441

Went to the local fish and chip shop last week. Chips have gone up from 1.05 to 1.35, which is nearly a 30% rise. That's after increasing from 1.00 to 1.05 last year... I'm not sure when they last increased before that since I haven't been there often.

I guess Brown will be removing chips from the CPI rankings if they're still in there :).

HOLA442
Went to the local fish and chip shop last week. Chips have gone up from 1.05 to 1.35, which is nearly a 30% rise. That's after increasing from 1.00 to 1.05 last year... I'm not sure when they last increased before that since I haven't been there often.

I guess Brown will be removing chips from the CPI rankings if they're still in there :).

Maybe we need to track chip prices against the Big Mac index to get a proper view of how the pound is doing.

I doubt Gordo would remove it from CPI, he'd just add in a hedonic adjustment and cite Moore's law as applying to chips...

HOLA443

They're just putting chips up to cross-subsidise the fish which has gone up something mental because we're running out. Go to a chicken and chip shop instead :)

They did say though, food and fuel. Or was it furniture, I forget.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Chips have gone up from 1.05 to 1.35, which is nearly a 30% rise.

I know exactly what you mean MarkG - its happening at the other end of the scale too. Noticed the same thing with my regular Colombian Mocha Latte and Grilette de Abricot a few months ago.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I had wondered about fish prices given some of the articles that I've seen in the last few months. That may be a good point about spreading the cost increase over the chip purchases rather than pushing up the price of fish too much; a lot of people buy chips with burgers, pies etc or on their own.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA448

soft commodities inflation is going to be the challenge for the next 3-4 decades as weather becomes more extreme and droughts become a threat to lives far and wide.

we will look back on the late 20th century as a golden age in food prices and production.

HOLA449

One of my local takeaways (a rather good curry and kebab house) hasn't raised the price of its chips for ages (they cost £1 and are rather nice). It doesn't serve fish (apart from a fishburger), which fits the fish-inflation theory.

However, I have noticed that it has recently introduced a 50p surcharge on credit card purchases.

HOLA4410
Guest pioneer31

That's rather interesting. I was having a conversation with my father earlier today about chip shop prices and how I've noticed them increase.

When I lived up North ( a year ago), 3 fish, 2 chips and 3 peas cost about a tenner. In the South, the same cost £14 (up from £12 about a month ago) and they don't taste as nice.

There are lots and lots of things inflating at the moment. Workmen are another example. It seems that EVERY workman, no matter how simple his job, charges a fortune. It's back to DIY!!

HOLA4411
Guest Cletus VanDamme

Bad potato crop last year.