House Price Crash Forum

Protest In Brighton - An Audience With Gordon Brown

HOLA441

It is interesting to see that the press are interested in this story before the event.

Doesn't that show a certain appetite for this issue now by the media?

The media interest if there is enough support on the day could be huge

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
I think if those controlling policy thought there was a serious problem then it would not have got to the stage we are now at.The trouble is the status quo suits most policy makers ,boomers making policy for boomers.I have massively benefitted from the house price boom,but at least I admit I have.Trouble is with most boomers on this site they try to defend the indefensible and think the equity gain at the expense of twenty somethings has somhow been earned or is a reward for all that hard living in the sixties.Yes it really was hard picking a house up for a couple of grand,not.

You're honesty is very refreshing. :)

HOLA444
Guest AuntJess
I think if those controlling policy thought there was a serious problem then it would not have got to the stage we are now at.The trouble is the status quo suits most policy makers ,boomers making policy for boomers.I have massively benefitted from the house price boom,but at least I admit I have.Trouble is with most boomers on this site they try to defend the indefensible and think the equity gain at the expense of twenty somethings has somhow been earned or is a reward for all that hard living in the sixties.Yes it really was hard picking a house up for a couple of grand,not.

I don't make policies and neither do most 'boomers'. The electorate do that and have done that for years by voting MPs in, who then go on to renege on promises. The fact that I was born at a time when it was relatively cheap to buy my home, has you eaten up with hatred. I also have a host of health problems as a result of being my age and having worked all my life. Would you like to be my age and me yours?I could rant and rave about people who have freeloaded all their life and exploited the system. However I don't make the mistake of attributing it to one age group/class.

I guess my extra years gave me a wisdom you so sadly lack and look unlike achieving. :rolleyes:

I lived in the same house for 40 years ands sold below market price. What would you have me do, huh? Sell my house for half of the going rate and be homeless? How would that help you and thousands like you?

I think what you are most in need of is a therapist.

Edited by AuntJess

HOLA445
I don't make policies and neither do most 'boomers'. The electorate do that and have done that for years by voting MPs in, who then go on to renege on promises. The fact that I was born at a time when it was relatively cheap to buy my home, has you eaten up with hatred. I also have a host of health problems as a result of being my age and having worked all my life. Would you like to be my age and me yours?I could rant and rave about people who have freeloaded all their life and exploited the system. However I don't make the mistake of attributing it to one age group/class.

I guess my extra years gave me a wisdom you so sadly lack and look unlike achieving. :rolleyes:

I lived in the same house for 40 years ands sold below market price. What would you have me do, huh? Sell my house for half of the going rate and be homeless? How would that help you and thousands like you?

I think what you are most in need of is a therapist.

I just think there is a bias towards policy favouring the fifty plus generation.I put it down to the fact that it is them who make the decisions and may not even realise they are doing it.It was not always thus,in the sixties housing was very much the priority policy with the mass building of social housing ;they must have been a more altruistic lot then.

I really can't see this protest getting anything like the press attention of the restoring the earnings link to pensions protests.There is a bias now towards health and pensions because they are boomer priorities.

HOLA446
Guest wrongmove
I just think there is a bias towards policy favouring the fifty plus generation.

There are a lot of them, and they tend to get out and vote. Politicians aren't going to waste time pandering to abstaining 20-somethings.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest AuntJess
I just think there is a bias towards policy favouring the fifty plus generation.I put it down to the fact that it is them who make the decisions and may not even realise they are doing it.It was not always thus,in the sixties housing was very much the priority policy with the mass building of social housing ;they must have been a more altruistic lot then.

I really can't see this protest getting anything like the press attention of the restoring the earnings link to pensions protests.There is a bias now towards health and pensions because they are boomer priorities.

The health needs of many older citizens are not priority, as you would realise if you had to try to get into a hospital or once there get reasonable treatment. Many older people fear going into hospital as they see it as a one-way ticket to the next world, what with MRSA 'n'all.

I guess the modern solution is to propose euthanasia for all over 60's - bit like Logan's Run, 'cept it won't hang so well when it is your turn.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
It's in today's Mail.

daily mail

If this Brighton demo gets any more publicity I reckon Macavity Brown won't come out of hiding 'til next week at the earliest :lol:

Mr Brown, who is due to speak at the festival on his new book Courage, has ordered plans to be drawn up to stop increasing numbers of people being priced out of the market.

How is it even possible for one sentance to contain so many contradictions?!

HOLA4414
Guest wrongmove
I think you grossly underestimate us - certainly amongst my peer group.

Sorry - I wasn't trying to pass a comment on 20 somethings - I am nearer to 20 something than 50 something myself. It is just a fact that the 50+ population is more numerous and more likely to vote, therefore politicians will tend to pander to them.

HOLA4415
Mr Brown, who is due to speak at the festival on his new book Courage, has ordered plans to be drawn up to stop increasing numbers of people being priced out of the market.

How is it even possible for one sentance to contain so many contradictions?!

OMG it gets worse!!

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/bi...2060582,00.html

It's David Icke all over again!

HOLA4416
The press have jumped onto our protest bandwagon, two articles up already and apparently we're on all the bill boards in Brighton this morning :-)

http://money.guardian.co.uk/houseprices/st...2074647,00.html

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/localnews/d...llors_visit.php

An excellent article on 24dash.com too,

http://www.24dash.com/news/1/20260/index.htm

We need as many of you who can make it to come along to Brighton. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to really put your point across at a highly politically sensitive moment. Blair is probably resigning on Thursday so what better time to tell the new PM what you think of his handling of the housing market!

Of course we all know it was the Tories who put up the IR to 15% last time after Labours inability to do so, I call it clever management.

Labour create the slump and the Tories have to pick it all back up again.

Give it 4 years or so Labour will be back to claim the boom years again. Same old, same old. :unsure:

HOLA4417
It's in today's Mail.

daily mail

If this Brighton demo gets any more publicity I reckon Macavity Brown won't come out of hiding 'til next week at the earliest :lol:

Fabulous reader comment to the above article by "Brown" of Lincoln (particularly the spelling):

The suggestion of decreasing all house values by 20% is ludicrous (Ray B, Newcastle). This would be in illigal and would achieve only at short term relief at at most although most people would withdraw there house rather than sell. The shared ownership schemes are the way to go as you cannot force the market. I, like many many others had to save and sacrifice to enable me to buy so are thes peole realistically expecting to be given everything on a plate ? This is so typical of the younger generation that demand and expect everything but are unwilling to work hard and forego luxuries to achieve this. Work , save and give up your fags , drink and half your nights out. Then you may just surprise yourself how quickly you can grow a decent deposit. Brown, Newcastle.

Yes "Brown", I'd like my house on a plate please, with a side order of gold-plated pension.

What's that you say? I was born a few years too late? Oh. Terribly sorry. My mistake.

Edited by Ethel

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Eggs are a bit boring, why not blow bubbles at him?

Imagine a picture in the papers of Gordon Brown surrounded by bubbles :lol:

Cheap, simple and effective! I like.

I'm tempted to come along myself, all the way from Bristol.

How about doing something to symbolise all the children who haven't been born due to the housing boom? Rocking some empty cradles, or something like that.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
:lol: Imagine the headlines: Brown's Blowing Bubbles. Brown's Bubble Bursts in Brighton

That's a good idea,

This might do the trick:

PARTY BUBBLE MACHINE This bubble machine generates a flow of beautiful big soap bubbles for an amazing effect.

Bubble Machine

I Might come down after all, chance of a lifetime this. I'll have to do a bit of running round the country S- Express Stylee.

I'll be in touch with articstoat if so. :)