House Price Crash Forum

Climate Change - The New Big Business?

The video below rasied some good questions about the validity of claims that CO2 is causing global warming.

I don't doubt that we need to start living more in balance with our resources, but a part of me has to ask the question:

With oil being a finite resource, that is apparently going to dwindle over the next 50-100 years, are the energy barons going to be positioning themselves to be the dominant players in renewable energy? And to what extent will the taxpayer be subsidising them? It seems strange that with all that's going on in our economy, that CO2 emissions and climate change is becoming such a severe problem.

Watch the vid below and see what you think.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...ial+engineering

The video below rasied some good questions about the validity of claims that CO2 is causing global warming.

I don't doubt that we need to start living more in balance with our resources, but a part of me has to ask the question:

With oil being a finite resource, that is apparently going to dwindle over the next 50-100 years, are the energy barons going to be positioning themselves to be the dominant players in renewable energy? And to what extent will the taxpayer be subsidising them? It seems strange that with all that's going on in our economy, that CO2 emissions and climate change is becoming such a severe problem.

When George Bush starts talking about climate change i get suspicous.

I can remember in the 80's there used to be a lot of talk about Nuclear power stations being very bad for the environment. Now because of global warming, all of a sudden they are the good guys.....

F

Global warming has F all to do with our CO2 output. Period!

In fact CO2 output has fk all to do with the environment.

Govts attempts to get people to 'reduce carbon emissions or 'lower your carbon footprint' or any of this nonsense is just political code for using less fuel.

Remember - use less power, switch off the lights insulate your houses etc....unless they are wind powered in which case its ok.

The real message is "WE ARE HITTING PEAK OIL AND WE HAVE FAILED TO SECURE SUPPLIES FROM OUR ADVENTURES IN IRAQ. NOW USE LESS OIL GENERATED ENERGY OR IT'LL BE A FKN DISASTER."

If you dont know this then your head is in the sand.

Govts attempts to get people to 'reduce carbon emissions or 'lower your carbon footprint' or any of this nonsense is just political code for using less fuel.

Remember - use less power, switch off the lights insulate your houses etc....unless they are wind powered in which case its ok.

The real message is "WE ARE HITTING PEAK OIL AND WE HAVE FAILED TO SECURE SUPPLIES FROM OUR ADVENTURES IN IRAQ. NOW USE LESS OIL GENERATED ENERGY OR IT'LL BE A FKN DISASTER."

Yep I agree 100% with you, also it would do wonders for inflation too!!

Most of the planets in the solar system are 'heating up' - it's to do with the solar cycles - not CO2 emissions

Gov is hijacking it to raise taxes and business is hijacking it to shift new products/services...

I assume what you mean to say was 'CO2 has fk all to do with global warming'.

Even if it is code for using less fuel, is this a bad thing? Fuel is abused by the richest nations, just like money.

Regardless of the reasoning behind it, I think most people would agree that wasting energy where it is not needed is financially silly from an individual point of view, as well as from the point of view of living in balance with your resources. Who said it was ok if they are wind powered to be wasteful?

You say that we didn't secure the oil in iraq? How could the us/uk have gained any more power than they have now if they wanted more security over the oil? I would have called planting a US/UK friendly Iraqi prime minister pretty good security, what were you expecting? Iraq to become another American state maybe?

"If you don't know this then your head is in the sand?"

If you had studied any scientific subject to any significant level you would most certainly know that no scientific area of study is black and white, and the more we learn the more the cause/effect perspectice can change. This is true of all scientific areas, whether this be Ecology, or the immune system. How one piece of data gets interpreted can have a dramatic consequence on how the rest of the data gets interpreted in relation to it. Maybe the scientists in the video weren't the best in their fields? maybe they're close to the top, but maybe there are many more with a better undestanding? I have my doubts and cynicism, but I am not so arrogant and opinionated as to judge anyone who is not aware of a particular perspective.

Edited by Meditating Hamster
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't had time to watch the video, but I went to "thefriendsofscience.org"website the group who made it. On the front page there is a graph depicting solar output vs global temperature, although they've left out the last 20years of data, even though that data is easily available.

Of course the last 20years of data shows solar output relatively flat whilst global temps and CO2 levels increasing.......So my guess is the video is full of horseshit too!!!

Are they......got a link please??

Can't remember where I first heard about it but had a quick look on Google...

The Whole Solar System is Undergoing Global Warming.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread221608/pg1

SUV's On Jupiter?

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/novem...6suvjupiter.htm

This is quite interesting as well...

Scientists threatened for 'climate denial'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...1/ngreen211.xml

Can't remember where I first heard about it but had a quick look on Google...

The Whole Solar System is Undergoing Global Warming.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread221608/pg1

From the above link re Pluto

"That's a 300% increase in atmospheric pressure in Pluto, which is the highest increase in any planet in the Solar system, and it is increasing as Pluto orbits away from the Sun. If the Sun is the cause for global warming in the solar system, as some scientists say, why is it that Pluto, the planet that is the farthest away from the Sun, experiencing the most severe effects, and it is getting worse and worse as it orbits away from the sun?"

Scientists threatened for 'climate denial'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...1/ngreen211.xml

Hmmm some green loonies send death threats to people they don't like....so what, jail the green loonies.

Most of the planets in the solar system are 'heating up' - it's to do with the solar cycles - not CO2 emissions

Gov is hijacking it to raise taxes and business is hijacking it to shift new products/services...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pres...yths/index.html

the 3rd graphic down gives solar radiation recieved on earth, the recent warming is not due to solar radiation changes

errr.......that doesn't say the sun is warming up......in fact it says the complete opposite.

Sorry, that was my point. There is no evidence of an increase in temperatures due to solar activity. This is a good site infact for those who come up with the usual "Conspircay theory", "ways to increase taxes"; "natural cycle" arguments.

Personally, i give more creedence to the International Panel on Climate Change (who met in Paris last month) than those deniers on this site. But may be the hundreds of renowned scientists are wrong after alll :unsure:

Edited by Servettien
Sorry, that was my point. There is no evidence of an increase in temperatures due to solar activity. This is a good site infact for those who come up with the usual "Conspircay theory", "ways to increase taxes"; "natural cycle" arguments.

Personally, i give more creedence to the International Panel on Climate Change (who met in Paris last month) than those deniers on this site. But may be the hundreds of renowned scientists are wrong after alll :unsure:

indeed....www.realclimate.org is tops as well

AGW has now become orthodox, the sceptics realise they have lost the scientific battle, and hence to a large extent the political battle as well, but they are trying to confuse the general public in an attempt to delay amelioration measures.

Not sure the political battle has been won - far from it. I don't see any real measures being taken in the major economies yet. I am a pessimist and believe that the only thing that will cause real action to be taken is Peak Oil and the increasing expense of energy.

Sorry what I mean by political battle is that the politicians privately acknowledge AGW, they just haven't got the mandate to do what needs doing, after all if a government goes a bit wibbly over some fuel tax protests the changes of actually getting a government to actually seriously address carbon emissions is almost nil.....

Not in my term of Office "NIMTOS"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure pretty much anyone who can think for themselves and don't act as sheep, who follow the tabloids blindly to the slaughter, know that global warming is not man made.

Global warming is clearly reflected by the activity of the sun. When solar activity increases and there are more sun spots then the Earth gets hotter. If not, it gets cooler. Simple as. Chart the evidence and you will see during the industrialisation period that the temperatures were not getting warmer, but cooler. It was only more recently have we begun to see global warming.

The thing about CO2 as well, the relationship is reversed. Whenever the temperatures are warmer then they will be more CO2. This is because of the amount of animals and plants and the size of the oceans, which emit much more CO2 when the climate is hotter. This is a lesson for those who see statistics and assume causality.

On top of that think of the more extreme consequences of blaming man for global warming. Sub Saharan Africans have the lowest life expectancies and live in the most awful conditions. Forget about burning coal and polluting cars being bad for your health, these people have to burn wood and breathe in the toxic smoke because they don't have access to electricity. Wise up developed world. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. Stop hindering the growth of developing countries with your rhetoric! Shame on you!

However one thing I would add to this debate is that emissions do still need to be cut. Not because CO2 causes global warming, because I firmly don't believe this to be so, but because of other toxic pollutants. Sulphuric Acid, Nitrous Oxides, and so on will cause damage.

I'm pretty sure pretty much anyone who can think for themselves and don't act as sheep, who follow the tabloids blindly to the slaughter, know that global warming is not man made.

Global warming is clearly reflected by the activity of the sun. When solar activity increases and there are more sun spots then the Earth gets hotter. If not, it gets cooler. Simple as. Chart the evidence and you will see during the industrialisation period that the temperatures were not getting warmer, but cooler. It was only more recently have we begun to see global warming.

The thing about CO2 as well, the relationship is reversed. Whenever the temperatures are warmer then they will be more CO2. This is because of the amount of animals and plants and the size of the oceans, which emit much more CO2 when the climate is hotter. This is a lesson for those who see statistics and assume causality.

On top of that think of the more extreme consequences of blaming man for global warming. Sub Saharan Africans have the lowest life expectancies and live in the most awful conditions. Forget about burning coal and polluting cars being bad for your health, these people have to burn wood and breathe in the toxic smoke because they don't have access to electricity. Wise up developed world. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. Stop hindering the growth of developing countries with your rhetoric! Shame on you!

However one thing I would add to this debate is that emissions do still need to be cut. Not because CO2 causes global warming, because I firmly don't believe this to be so, but because of other toxic pollutants. Sulphuric Acid, Nitrous Oxides, and so on will cause damage.

Sources for your statements ? Because the sources i checked showed no increase in solar activity (http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/12/28/090/30666)

I am sorry but I tend to believe 100s of qualified scientists in the matter who said it's 90% likely it's caused by man made activity. As for burning wood being more toxic than emissions from various fossil fuels or nuclear ....

Sources for your statements ? Because the sources i checked showed no increase in solar activity (http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/12/28/090/30666)

I am sorry but I tend to believe 100s of qualified scientists in the matter who said it's 90% likely it's caused by man made activity. As for burning wood being more toxic than emissions from various fossil fuels or nuclear ....

Huh? - there are a number on this thread - here are some more...

Global Warming on Mars -- and Jupiter, Pluto, Neptune

http://www.dailytech.com/Global+Warming+on...article6544.htm

Increased solar activity not only warms the earth directly, it increases the strength of the solar winds. This reduces the amount of cosmic radiation striking the earth, which directly reduces the formation rate of clouds. Less clouds = more warming.

Global Warming Detected On Mars

http://www.dailytech.com/Global+Warming+De...article6331.htm

Abdussamatov's claims tie in nicely with recent research by Professor Eigil Friis-Christensen of the Danish Space Center, which correlates Earth's warming not to greenhouse gases, but to changes in cloud formation due to solar activity increases.

Bad News for Global Warming Alarmists

http://www.dailytech.com/Bad+News+for+Glob...article5914.htm

Svensmark points out that already-observed changes in solar flux act to reduce cloud cover, and thus cause the earth to reflect less solar radiation back into space. This quite obviously causes a moderate degree of warming...just as we've seen.

You are simply being conned with this as with so many other things - you are being convinced into reducing your consumption of - or dependance on - fossil fuels ie oil

Edited by dnd
check out these government approved stats

who do you believe?

So how do you "know" that solar radiation is causing global warming then if you reject science...

The solar argument is actually quite a good one.

Think about it,CFC's were blamed for the increasing hole in the ozone layer...now these CFC's should be reaching the atmosphere and doing damage where the weather systems are most active( along the tropics+/- a few degrees lat.)

But the holes are directly overhead the magnetic poles.Which could indicate a link between a shifting/strengthening magnetic field and the breakdown of O3 molecules at atomic level.

the increase in magnetic activity could also increase the heat generated in the earths core and magma....which gets circulated by convection.

The earths tectonic plates are shifted around by the faster convection of magma...leading to increases in seismic activity(earthquakes,tsunamis and so on)....ring any bells?

also,the excess heat will be spewed out of hydrothermal vents in the ocean(el nino?????...or OH,NO,THE NORTH ATLANTIC CONVEYOR!!)

Just be patient, in about 20 years time or so there will be less solar activity, the global warming rubbish will die out and people will be desperate to stick more CO2 into the atmosphere.

I don't usually use wikipedia but what the heck, here's an interesting article about the 'global cooling' scaremongers back in the 70s. That's right, GLOBAL COOLING, widespread media scaremongering about the Earth cooling down! Oh how short the human memory really is!!!