House Price Crash Forum

How did they finance the other 200k ???

One worked for a charity, and the other worked in "fashion". They were only 26 years old???

Just amazes me how people who don't have seemingly well-paid jobs can afford to spend so much money...

Say it with me...... "Self-cert Interest-Only"

How did they finance the other 200k ???

One worked for a charity, and the other worked in "fashion".  They were only 26 years old???

Just amazes me how people who don't have seemingly well-paid jobs can afford to spend so much money...

Many prime lenders will lend ridiculous multiples if lending less than 75% LTV (Loan to Value).

C4 should be ashamed of themselves making money out of people who will end up bankrupt. :angry:

There's no way those two will go bankrupt; they were as posh as all get out. I imagine that Daddy - who was never mentioned - was a merchant banker or something similar who met Mummy when posted to Hong Kong. They probably bought their huge house in Mill Hill for about £10k around 30 years ago and are minted.

It was mentioned that they'd been saving for a year as well as Mummy giving them a £100k deposit - good way of avoiding inheritance tax - so they probably had a 50% deposit. So they were looking at the equivalent of a £75k mortgage each which sounds like about 3 times salary - isn't that slightly less than the very conservative recommended formula on these boards.

They were spoilt bitches but I doubt they'll ever know the meaning of money worries.

It makes you cringe.

Kirsty has the cheek to get frustrated because for £100k each plus £100K from thier mum the two girls wanted a double bedroom each! The nerve!!!!!!!!! I mean for 100K each and 100k off their mum they should be happy with anything they can get, bloody spoilt some people!

And then they suggest a loft conversion for 30k 'when they can afford it' . When will that be Phil? Where on earth would they get that kind of money paying off a 100k loan to house share?

Then they described Newington Green as "Grittier", it's gritty alright!

I don't watch L3 for the reason that it's so staged, but I did catch a glimpse of it last night. Of course the seller is going to reject their offer - they know the buyer is on national television and for that reason is very likely going to eventually meet their asking price. It's not indicative of the market right now. 300k to live on a busy main road - ROFL!

You can give away as much money as you like and, as long as you don't die for 7 years or more after giving it away, it doesn't incur inheritance tax. Mummy looked as if she was good for a lot longer than another 7 years, which is why I reckon giving them the deposit was an inheritance tax dodge - probably just one of a whole range they're using.

I'm afraid that I gave up on Lx3 a LONG time ago. The sheer smugness of it all was giving me high blood pressure!

I'm gutted I missed last nights though. I used to live just off Newington Green and could have used a laugh! It does well to pretend to be Islington, but in reality it takes flippin' ages to get anywhere on the bus and is, err, fairly gritty to say the least! The sad thing is that 10 years ago you could buy a 5 bed house for 40K round there!

Still, I did the renting fratenity proud. Moved out after 6 months (due to a leaking roof), kept the deposit and forced the landlord into a void for 4 months! Quality!

Oh, and while we are at it, the agents were useless too. KFH? We used to call them Kinleigh F*ckwit & B*stard!

Guest pioneer31

Do Kirsty and Phil get some sick enjoyment from persuading young people to throw unspeakable amounts of money into a white elephant?

Those two girls will be found floating in the Thames a year from now.

Those two girls just annoyed me, i wonder how much they would have been able to save if they carried on living at home a while longer, or even rented?! They both also seemed to be incredible dim/stupid with the comments they made, and i guess a good example of whats FTBs are left, the sisters didnt even seem to get on that well together, and one sister having the 'bigger' room is really going to piss them off.

300k is an awful lot of money, even after the 100k gift they will be throwing away an awful lot of money away in interest payments. There is no way i would ever consider buying something as small for 300k...

for sure, it was a ridiculous episode, and by no means represented typical buyers.

I couldn't see why they didn't just rent - aged 23 and 26. Surely one or the other will have a partner at some point relatively soon and want the other one out but not be able to afford to buy their share.

I thought the flats they showed all looked poor value for around £300k - especially the one they bought. There seem to be plenty of comparable 2-bed flats for around £250k in Islington.

Key rule when sharing a flat - avoid getting bedrooms next to eachother, as there will be no privacy. I imagine the wall the separated the rooms was not part of the original structure - so even more likely to offer little sound protection.

i loved how Kirsty implied she would jump at the chance to live in a tiny bedroom with just a bed and no bureau or desk.

Also, how Phil and Kirsty played things both ways on the market being soft yet "this flat has gotten loads of interest" so they scared the girls into moving quickly. Obviously the owner knew he'd hooked a couple of suckers on his line.

I just thought: these girls have no clue what it means to owe £100k each.