House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Says "inflation Is 2%"

HOLA441

up to 20% from May

A rise in rail fares for passengers who travel into London after the morning rush-hour has been criticised by a rail passenger group as unjustified.

Passengers travelling towards the city on South West Trains (SWT) in the late morning face an increase of up to 20% from 20 May.

Rip off, start walking :P

everything else is going up but Miracle Gordon says 2% inflation 2% pay rise what a muppet.

HOLA442

Times article: Postal union demands 27% pay rise and shorter working

Royal Mail is facing union demands for a 27 per cent pay rise that the post group claims will cost an extra £1 billion a year, The Times has learnt.

When the CWU last held out for a large pay increase four years ago, it led to a long fight between Allan Leighton, chairman of the group, and the union. Mr Leighton incensed the union by writing directly to workers to urge them to vote against strike action, which, by a narrow margin, they did.

The pay talks are at an early stage, but the present one-year pay deal runs out next month.

GordEnron hasn't yet destroyed the Post Office enough to take away their striking power. The 27% is just an ititial negotiation stance, but looks like they'll be getting above inflation raises.

No wonder the BoE sounded the crash alert yesterday...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Work in Local Government. Just got this email today about pay rise of 2%. Union is quoting 4.6% inflation (dont know where this figure is from though!;

"Council workers across the country were dealt a severe blow today by a paltry 2% pay offer by local government chiefs.

With today’s inflation figures rising to 4.6% the trade unions dismissed the claim as “insulting and demeaning” and “not good enough to consult on”. The employers accepted that the unions would not put the offer to the membership, but asked for further talks. They agreed to take the unions rejection back to local authorities across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

UNISON Head of Local Government Heather Wakefield said:

“This is effectively a pay cut. With today’s inflation rates going up to 4.6% and living costs rising much faster than council workers pay, millions of workers are being pushed closer to the breadline. This is a paltry pay award which will drive down the morale of staff further. "

HOLA446
Work in Local Government. Just got this email today about pay rise of 2%. Union is quoting 4.6% inflation (dont know where this figure is from though!;

"Council workers across the country were dealt a severe blow today by a paltry 2% pay offer by local government chiefs.

With today’s inflation figures rising to 4.6% the trade unions dismissed the claim as “insulting and demeaning” and “not good enough to consult on”. The employers accepted that the unions would not put the offer to the membership, but asked for further talks. They agreed to take the unions rejection back to local authorities across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

UNISON Head of Local Government Heather Wakefield said:

“This is effectively a pay cut. With today’s inflation rates going up to 4.6% and living costs rising much faster than council workers pay, millions of workers are being pushed closer to the breadline. This is a paltry pay award which will drive down the morale of staff further. "

Well, I think they have no option but to withdraw their labour - go on strike then.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I use the trains, First Great Western to get to work 4 days a week. Fare went up in Jan from £7.40 to £8.00 a day. Then I use SWT to get into london 1 day a week. Travelling after 9.30 it was costing me £14.80 before Christmas, then went up to £16.20 in the new year, with the 20% increase next month it is going to cost me nearly £19.50!

Thats just over 31% increase on my london ticket in 5 months, if it carries on at this rate it will be a 74% for the year! Thankfully I only have to travel to london until the end of October when my course finishes. Then I can buy a weekly season ticket again.

HOLA449
I use the trains, First Great Western to get to work 4 days a week. Fare went up in Jan from £7.40 to £8.00 a day. Then I use SWT to get into london 1 day a week. Travelling after 9.30 it was costing me £14.80 before Christmas, then went up to £16.20 in the new year, with the 20% increase next month it is going to cost me nearly £19.50!

Thats just over 31% increase on my london ticket in 5 months, if it carries on at this rate it will be a 74% for the year! Thankfully I only have to travel to london until the end of October when my course finishes. Then I can buy a weekly season ticket again.

Absurd and ridiculous! They only get away with it because... THEY CAN!

HOLA4410

There are two inflation rates that the government uses a fudged RPI rate (currently 4.8%) and a really, really fudged CPI rate (currently 2.8% I think) that is the one that the Bank of England have been told to use for interest rates.

HOLA4411

The only consolation I get is that my 1.5% private sector pay rise covers most of the rail increase..... (some consolation)

Yes that's right my rise in public transport costs has wiped out my pay rise. Absolutely ridiculous! If things carry on like this my wife and I will be better off moving jobs and home so we can both work in the same town and walk to work. I could take a 2K pay cut and still be better off.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
The only consolation I get is that my 1.5% private sector pay rise covers most of the rail increase..... (some consolation)

Yes that's right my rise in public transport costs has wiped out my pay rise. Absolutely ridiculous! If things carry on like this my wife and I will be better off moving jobs and home so we can both work in the same town and walk to work. I could take a 2K pay cut and still be better off.

But surely less -than- inflation pay rises will have the same effect on house prices that the much-hoped-for IR increases will have, i.e. reduce the affordability of current prices so that they fall.

I can't understand why everyone gets upset about it on here. You should be cheering it in the same way you do when IRs go up.

Edited by Casual Observer

HOLA4415

The Times is covering a few of the subjects raised here….

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle1545471.ece

The Chancellor delivers his last Budget today battered by the revolt by officials, fears of rising mortgages, the worst inflation figures since 1991 and with one poll suggesting that David Cameron’s lead would stretch to 15 points if Mr Brown were prime minister.

Then came the surprise news yesterday that the traditional measure of inflation, the retail price index, rose to 4.6 per cent, up 0.4 per cent on the previous month, the worst figure for almost 16 years.

It looks like the whitehall ‘worms’ are turning against GB. Interesting day in Westminster today???

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Stealth inflation is everywhere. Two years ago I was paying £2.50 to use the toll road around Birmingham. This has now gone up by 60% to £4.

Yep, it's crept up on people - they've hardly noticed - their greed/attention has been focused on HPI - which will disappear virtually overnight once the credit stops flowing

Labour is about smoke and mirrors - it's finally catching up with them now as people finally wake up that inflation is a problem and they have been lied to...

HOLA4418
Stealth inflation is everywhere. Two years ago I was paying £2.50 to use the toll road around Birmingham. This has now gone up by 60% to £4.

"Stealth?" They are brazen with hyper-inflated rises these days because in a miracle economy debt is just illusion and MEW is a never-ending source of money.

I wonder what Brooon will say when he delivers the poison in a few minutes?

Aim..............we have had the longest period of growth since Claudius became Emperor....aim......inflation and debt doesn't count.....aim.............house prices are expected to level out over the coming years and will continue to remain buoyant as we enjoy the greatest period of prosperity since Edward II......aim..........the trade deficit has grown but that is because of the carousel fraud... the noo, och.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Jesus Christ. When will this country WAKE UP!!! They say you get what you deserve, but no one deserves this stalinist muppet. 2%?!?! What planet is the fat Scot living on? :angry:

That sums it well but the problem is the UK should deserve better Chancellor than someone who cooks the book for his political gain.

Why should this country WAKE UP as long as they can MEW to buy the Plasma tvs, holidays, cars they can't afford? surely they'll wake up when the music stops but it will be too late for too many.

HOLA4421
This is a paltry pay award which will drive down the morale of staff further. "

The people I know in local government seem like they have high morale. And why not? They have locktight jobs. They have weak productivity targets. They are removed from commercial reality. And most of their revenue stream is collected by enforcement (by law) rather than on the basis of customer satisfaction.

Basically, it's a posh social security service for people who can't handle real jobs.

HOLA4422
The people I know in local government seem like they have high morale. And why not? They have locktight jobs. They have weak productivity targets. They are removed from commercial reality. And most of their revenue stream is collected by enforcement (by law) rather than on the basis of customer satisfaction.

Basically, it's a posh social security service for people who can't handle real jobs.

I know!!! whos the bigger mug then? ME for working in Local Government (Posh Social Security) or YOU paying for it? Ha ha.

HOLA4423

here's the thing you don't all seem to grasp - train fare rises don't matter.. why? because nobody uses a train, they're all empty, no overcrowding in sight. however, pop down your local halfords or comet and there are people everywhere snapping up sat navs and mp3 players - some are buying 100 of each.. now that's what R E A L L Y matters so lucky for us inflation 'is' 2% (not)..

:lol:

Edited by ca-uk