House Price Crash Forum

International Affordability

MarkG

HOLA441

I was just doing some research on the web to see whether I should really be considering buying a house in Canada right now, and found this comparison of international affordability pretty interesting. I don't remember it being discussed here before, though a search brought up a couple of mentions of it:

http://www.demographia.com/dhi-ix2005q3.pdf

Amongst other things, Britain accounts for 5 of their '25 Most Unaffordable Housing Markets', and the graph showing house price multiples compared to planning restrictions is pretty telling as to one major reason why. More than that, their average cost to income rating for America is about 40% _lower_ than Britain, yet America has already begun its crash.

I'm glad to see I'm moving to one of the 25 most affordable markets, and the price of houses we're looking at are pretty much in line with the price to income numbers in the document. It looks like people who are thinking of buying a house in London should be buying in London, Canada, not London, England!

HOLA442
  • 3 months later...
HOLA443

Mega Bump!

What a fantastic find! This should be pinned. The information in that document is so revealing.... and that's from March!

The place I'm moving to is only "Moderately Unaffordable"..... phew :P

HOLA444
Mega Bump!

What a fantastic find! This should be pinned. The information in that document is so revealing.... and that's from March!

The place I'm moving to is only "Moderately Unaffordable"..... phew :P

Good to see UK is a still a world beater. Most unaffordable housing, most debt, best tax haven for nom dom's...

HOLA445

you should only buy a house in Canada if you plan to live there ....

My bet is that Canada will evolve into the next Saudi Arabia over the next twenty years. The oil sands are a vast oil resource and oil companies will look three times before they invest in russia and africa. If you do a little research you'll all see there is intense interest in developing the tar sands especially now Venezuela is hand in glove with China.

If you are under 45 and would like to see the pigs get their just desserts you should be emigrating - Canada is already desperate for all trades and professions related to oil and I hear welders working in athabasca are earning 120k CAD pa. GBs government is controlled by people with grey hair and for me the most sickening thing was to hear their solution to the house price crisis is to build council houses. Ever hear a Labor MP talk about the effects of intergenerational wealth transfer? All you renters fancy a council house built on waste disposal ground? The pigs won't accept the fair solution is to relax land control and build millions of new houses on greenfield sites - and at the same time these pigs want free health care, free dental plans, free bus passes, and state pensions.......... all paid for by their kids who will find themselves burdened by spiraling taxes, health insurance, and contributions based pensions.

wake up folks and dont be left standing at the gate.

Edited by bpw

HOLA446