House Price Crash Forum

Welcome To The 190 Guests Currently Visiting Our Party

Hello! I registered! :)

Nice site and forum you've got here. I've been reading it all day after finding it linked from a BBC news article.

I've just got married, live in Guildford, and not looking forward to the misery of buying an overpriced house :(.

I've been scanning topics going back as 2005, and with people predicting an imminent downturn I'm not sure who to believe!

Hello! I registered! :)

Nice site and forum you've got here. I've been reading it all day after finding it linked from a BBC news article.

I've just got married, live in Guildford, and not looking forward to the misery of buying an overpriced house :(.

I've been scanning topics going back as 2005, and with people predicting an imminent downturn I'm not sure who to believe!

Don't believe anyone. You have to decide for yourself.

However, the more you learn the more informed your decision will be.

Sorry if that sounds patronising, but don't take anyone's opinion as gospel. And I do mean anyone.

Don't believe anyone. You have to decide for yourself.

However, the more you learn the more informed your decision will be.

Sorry if that sounds patronising, but don't take anyone's opinion as gospel. And I do mean anyone.

My opinion is that house prices will go up, that is until they go down, in which case they might go back up,

or back down.

I hope that is clear and helps with your decision.

Thank you.

My opinion is that house prices will go up, that is until they go down, in which case they might go back up,

or back down.

I hope that is clear and helps with your decision.

Thank you.

Crystal, hehe.

Our rent is currently a steal for the area (750 quid a month - not changed in 6 years). Equivalent houses in the area are on the market for £250k. I'm just loathe to buy now and instantly double my rent - I think I'd rather save the cash and hope that the incessant price march can't go on for ever.

:blink:

Wonder what's brought you all here? Don't forget to register :)

that's spooky there's 190 again at present :unsure:

edit - 50+ more since writing this post!

edit 2 - no 190 again!

Edited by prophet-profit
Crystal, hehe.

Our rent is currently a steal for the area (750 quid a month - not changed in 6 years). Equivalent houses in the area are on the market for £250k. I'm just loathe to buy now and instantly double my rent - I think I'd rather save the cash and hope that the incessant price march can't go on for ever.

Straightforward and eminently sensible :)

The market was teetering on the edge of collapse in 2005 until the BoE cut rates. There were houses around here that had been on the market for a year or more, in some cases 'selling' two or three times but failing to complete... then they were sold for real within three months of the rate cut.

No-one predicted that the BoE would be such morons at that time, and I believe even King has said it was a mistake. If they hadn't cut rates in 2005 and had raised them in 2006, we'd be in the middle of a crash right now.

Mid afternoon yesterday there were 320 guests!

Sorry, one of them's quite often me. I'm not stalking you, it's just that if spotter drones are out and about it's easier to crash-dive and show some legitimate (but entirely unimproving :P ) screen instead, and not irritate the t1t5 off of you all by forgetting/being prevented from logging out politely, like what a gent should and all.

Straightforward and eminently sensible :)

Thanks. I figure it's wise to save up a large pot on cheaper rent while we can. When saving up for our wedding over the past year we were putting a grand a month away - I just hope that HPI won't outstrip that. I'd really really love to come up smelling of roses in a couple of years when I can put down 25% or 30% on a house :D.

Bizzarely I'm not too phazed by large interest rates. I would rather borrow at a higher rate and know what was realistically affordable than to borrow in a trough and then get f*cked over a few years later when rates double. My mum borrowed for her first house (£10,000!) in the early eighties at 17% (I think). Some people might think I'm mental for wanting to borrow when interest rates are high :blink::)

Also, interesting news today about the BoE. Can't wait to see the faces of people at work when a quarter or a half is added on to interest rates. They've been telling me that prices won't drop for the past two years :)

No-one predicted that the BoE would be such morons at that time, and I believe even King has said it was a mistake. If they hadn't cut rates in 2005 and had raised them in 2006, we'd be in the middle of a crash right now.

Nice to know, thanks.