House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441

If you're a Brit you can still trade GDX or XGD.TO if you want by opening an online account with T D Waterhouse.

These are the only pure Gold miner ETFs I know of.

They are easier and more transparent to trade than funds such as Blackrock Gold and General or Investec Global Gold and the spreads are tighter.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
What's going to happen in 2008?

Our all-star line-up of experts make their predictions in a Special New Year’s Commodity Watch Radio:

* Dr Marc Faber

* Jim Rogers

* James Turk

* Michael Hampton

* Zapata George

* Campbell Smythe

* Dave Skarica

http://commoditywatch.podbean.com/

Happy Listening and Happy 2008.

Frizz

I have listened to the whole thing. :o

Seems like a very long and extended post from the most extreme goldbug almost as though Goldfinger choreographed it - I know he will like it.

Last bit was intersting - US house builders have overcorrected - time to buy the quality US house builder. I would not risk it myself but I bought some more silver half way through :o

I like Zapata - he is a one off. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting it Frizzers.

Edited by Compounded

HOLA443
HOLA444
Gold chart 31/12/07 -

Looks to be heading higher ...

I was wondering if it's worth keeping tabs on BullionVault's "number of Kilos" of gold?

Right now, it's:

London New York Zurich

1,119.309 100.759 3,686.673

Might be an interesting gauge of how many people are starting to panic?

Most, though would go for GLD ETF or something like that.., but it's still an interesting measure, is it not?

Has anyone been watching these numbers for the last 3-4 months?

HOLA445
... and a major block of countries reverted to a metal backed currency, then there's every likelihood they'd actually choose silver rather than gold!
I fully expect silver to get to well above $50 an ounce. People should hold both silver and gold.

I also expect that China will go back to something like its traditional silver dollar standard rather than a pure gold standard. Especially since they know that the Fed has only gold (at least so they tell us) and therefore no means to counter such a move. Isn't China the world's biggest silver producer? I wonder why, and what are their plans? :)

Edited by Goldfinger

HOLA446
... But here's the thing, you don't need to embrace nutty economics like the barking Mises Institute rubbish to feel there's a problem in our economy and want to make changes. There's plenty of economists who are pursuing exactly these ends within the Neo-Keynsian mainstream tradition.

I would suggest you read some Hayek such that you can see what he thinks about Keynes. :)

HOLA447
I initially ignored my advisor because;

1) I was ignorant about cash and the banking system until I came to Hpc.

2) He talks like cgnao.

3) He has a vested interest. He is raising venture capital for a fledgling German gold mining company, GPMT Aktiengesellschaft, (www.gpmt.de) that has mining rights in C.America. (If anyone has a minimum of £10,000 to burn PM me and I'll put you in touch, he loves to chat about gold, but contracts are in German)

4) He's my brother.

kb

Hmm, I am getting interested. :)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
goddamnit - i want it to come down so i can buy some more!!!

but all its doing is shooting up and the pound dropping - ****!

I admit, it does feel like a bad time to be buying, but these are interesting times!

The gold bull run is fully underway, but there's no sign of it stopping yet, imo.

I foolishly sold out after I'd made some nice profits, only to watch the GBP slide last week. I got back in at 2.00 and I swear, that's it now for me. I'm holding.

EDIT: even if gold falls slightly, do you really think the $2=£1 is sustainable? I simply can't see it being at 1.9X for very long on it's downward spiral.

Edited by chris c-t

HOLA4415
goddamnit - i want it to come down so i can buy some more!!!

but all its doing is shooting up and the pound dropping - ****!

Kruggers are now selling for £453 :o at this rate gold will go to Mars Let-alone the Moon.

Every thing i have spare is in physical gold.... For now. Things may change though.

HOLA4416
Kruggers are now selling for £453 :o at this rate gold will go to Mars Let-alone the Moon.

Every thing i have spare is in physical gold.... For now. Things may change though.

i know what you mean - i paid £350 for some britannias last year, £86 for some sovereigns - these prices are insane but where do i want my money? in a falling pound or a rising gold? if i truly believe that the pound in in for a beating (and i do) then i'll have to put my money where my mouth is!

HOLA4417

A £453 kruger will appear as cheap as chips at some point in the near future but I agree, they will become out of reach for many... :(

You can buy smaller denominations and silver still offers excellent value.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
If I was the Chinese and wanted to get rid of $1 trillion and increase gold reserves, I would use $100 billion to push it down on the paper market (COMEX, TOCOM, et al) while secretly buying and taking delivery of as much as possible on the physical market (London, Zurich).

But the chinese govt. can buy gold on paper now, no? I think we are talking private investors here, right?

So, how many $Trillionaires are there in China? 0.0

HOLA4421
They desperately want to keep it below $850, but they can't.

This is all you need to know and is 100% correct, guaranteed.

All else is noise, lies, spin and co-ordinated market and media manipulation by corrupt governments, insolvent banks and desperate central banks seeking to hide the ongoing debasement of all currencies.

http://www.reuters.com/article/hotStocksNe...02?rpc=401&

Gold surges to 28-yr peak, close to record $850

Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:31am EST

LONDON (Reuters) - Gold swept to a 28-year high on Wednesday driven by surging oil, a weaker dollar and simmering geopolitical tension, making a test of record highs at $850 an ounce a real possibility on the first business day of 2008.

I haven't seen that old chestnut referred to for a long time. A year almost.

HOLA4422
A £453 kruger will appear as cheap as chips at some point in the near future but I agree, they will become out of reach for many... :(

You can buy smaller denominations and silver still offers excellent value.

Agreed, I baught 100 silver britannias last year and this year im looking into buying silver bars.

Im not rich enough to fill a room with silver like most of you guys but it still looks like a good bet to me.

HOLA4423

Well worth a read....

Word Of Gold Rush Spreading ... by Sean Brodrick 1/2/2008

http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/Issues.aspx...terEntryId=1330

Traditionally, gold buyers in those countries accumulated gold in jewelry form. But there's evidence that is already changing. India already has precious metal ETFs and China shouldn't be far behind.

That means two countries with a combined population of over 2.4 BILLION people will suddenly be able to buy gold with ease!

HOLA4424
Well worth a read....

Word Of Gold Rush Spreading ... by Sean Brodrick 1/2/2008

http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/Issues.aspx...terEntryId=1330

Traditionally, gold buyers in those countries accumulated gold in jewelry form. But there's evidence that is already changing. India already has precious metal ETFs and China shouldn't be far behind.

That means two countries with a combined population of over 2.4 BILLION people will suddenly be able to buy gold with ease!

You make a good point, I'm not sure that Chinese and Indians haven't had access to gold previously, but the general concept (that at some point precious metals will break out from a relatively narrow investor base) is an important issue.

Unfortunately I'm not looking forward to that frothy possibility. Here's why. I've been buying gold for the best part of thirty years, and I've always considered it as an insurance policy, a hedge that underpins other investments. If the gold and/or silver price suddenly mushrooms I'll be faced with an uncomfortable dillemma, sell (because all frothy booms needed to be treated with suspicion), or hang on because the insurance component of precious metals will be just as valid at £1000 per ounce as it was at £100 per ounce?

Tricky.

HOLA4425