• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Has someone hacked your account Narcs? :o You're scaring me man! :P

Come on, what's prompted all this then? Are you changing your view on dollar (hyper)inflation? or just the timing of it? or is it just sterling that's scaring you?

Hyperinflation is still the outcome but I'm not seeing the policy responses to justify it anytime soon. The near term reality is deflation. Heck, there's not even a whiff inflation right now.

In this current climate, cash is most definately king but Sterling is the emperor without clothes.

Sterling does seem to have bottomed against USD though. Look at the weekly MACD cross. It could rally to 1.70 over the next few months which I see as a great opportunity to diversify out of the Pound.

Edited by narco

HOLA443
Hyperinflation is still the outcome but I'm not seeing the policy responses to justify it anytime soon. The near term reality is deflation. Heck, there's not even a whiff inflation right now.

In this current climate, cash is most definately king but Sterling is the emperor without clothes.

Sterling does seem to have bottomed against USD though. Look at the weekly MACD cross. It could rally to 1.70 over the next few months which I see as a great opportunity to diversify out of the Pound.

It does appear that way still. I think all this inflation talk is a little premature. Bee in the bonnet stuff in the media at the moment. You know how CBs love to try and talk the market. That seems to be what they're doing with QE at the moment.

There is very often a "pullback" after a MACD cross from a low like you have just pointed out. That can often be a good entry point. It will be interesting to see if it happens after this cross. Sterling does appear to be basing at the moment. Looks a little like USD did earlier in '08 after it hit 71.

HOLA444
It does appear that way still. I think all this inflation talk is a little premature. Bee in the bonnet stuff in the media at the moment. You know how CBs love to try and talk the market. That seems to be what they're doing with QE at the moment.

There is very often a "pullback" after a MACD cross from a low like you have just pointed out. That can often be a good entry point. It will be interesting to see if it happens after this cross. Sterling does appear to be basing at the moment. Looks a little like USD did earlier in '08 after it hit 71.

I agree Sterling looks like it's forming a short term base but I recently read this article from May 2008. The fundamentals for Sterling are scary.

http://www.theplanningbusiness.com/bpicpoundeuro.htm

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

To be honest I was close to selling half my stash recently. It's only that I can't be bothered with the hassle of buying them back again. When gold falls in price, the retail market gets cleaned out.

I'm expecting paper gold to get hit further than most people expect during the next round of deleveraging / stock market crash.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
I love the way you get to choose which currency each of us should measure our investment in.

Not really, I live in the UK. I get paid in Sterling and had my savings in Sterling. I'm looking to move any future money out of GBP. Parity with the USD is coming.

HOLA4413
I paid £350 - £400 for a lot coins that are now selling for upwards of £700. A Britannia recently just sold on ebay for £890. :blink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/One-ounce-1-oz-Fine-...A1%7C240%3A1318

How many of yours have you sold so far?

To draw a parallel with house prices (yes, OT for you Narco since you never post anything on the subject) but isn't this just a little bit like those people who "made" XXX pounds on their houses over the past 10 years, but since they never sold, they never banked the cash, and are now seeing their "profits" dwindle away month by month.

HOLA4414
How many of yours have you sold so far?

To draw a parallel with house prices (yes, OT for you Narco since you never post anything on the subject) but isn't this just a little bit like those people who "made" XXX pounds on their houses over the past 10 years, but since they never sold, they never banked the cash, and are now seeing their "profits" dwindle away month by month.

I think gold might fall for a while, maybe even for a few years but we haven't seen the top yet. ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I think this is good.. Jim Rogers in 2003

Extremely good call from Rogers, especially the last sentence.:)

But here is is a little less lucky prediction about iceland, atleast his prediction was good for 7 years:)

I guess you win some and loose some:)

I guess the Iceland one depends when he got out.

If I were being cynical, I would suggest that the best way of attracting investment money to you is to give people a positive story. Shorting is a negative story, going long is a happy positive story. Who wouldn't give their money to Rogers when he is selling them positive stories about his fabulous investment ideas?

What you/we should do Carseller is make a bunch of positive story video, fly around the world selling them at seminars, and just in case make some negative story videos at the same time. Then in 5 years we can launch our youtube video channel and post whichever ones turn out to have been the most successful (and bin the others). ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Yes, I've been watching this since the afternoon, it's been rising and rising from about 575, currently 618.

Interested to see how prices fluctuate during the inauguration in 15 minutes.

Edited by Digs

HOLA4420
£617/toz new all time record high price today. Yet this thread is dominated by people insisting that gold is proving to be a poor investment. :lol:

Yep, I suspect it is because they are still caught up in yesterday's orthodoxy that deflation is negative for gold. Obviously not! :lol:

They are still believers of the narrow doctrine that gold will only perform in some inflationary spending spree in the markets. :blink:

Yet, the way to look at gold today is not as a commodity but as a currency in its own right.

What we have today is a hyper-deflation; all paper assets deflate including cash/currencies this time round. Our currencies are not backed by anything real [as they were in the 30's] and will themselves perform like a financial asset as international creditors and investors take fright and take flight out of them.

Eventually, the dollar will have to go the same way.

My strategy will be to infrequently trade [a smaller percentage of my holding] between gold and the dollar using the volatility to add to my ounces. I reckon gold and the dollar are shaping up to fight it out in the currency market. It may take quite a while before the dollar finally rolls over.

Today, it is about the preservation of capital, and imo in a hyper-deflation it will be best preserved in gold. Buy assets at a later date after they have become less valuable relative to gold.

We will probably see [hyper] inflated prices in the end but the prime cause for this will not be more money on a spending spree in the markets but some currency shock where the currency suddenly devalues/depreciates/deflates.

Edited by roman holiday

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Gold are starting it's expansive phase now.

I can feel it. The vertical phase of the move. The run to at least 2400 dollars. The masses are getting in. I am hearing people talking about gold. Just regular people that are of the type that buy mutual funds when the price is high.

HOLA4425

Without hijacking this into the usual INF vs. DEF handbags, can someone just answer me the following:

• What did the shiny, yellow stuff do during the last recessions?
  • What did the shiny, yellow stuff do during the last depression?
  • Was the previous depression deflationary, and were the previous recessions inflationary / deflationary, and what happened to interest rates (if anything) to compensate?
  • What are the reasons NOT to buy the shiny, yellow stuff?
  • Is it too late to buy the shiny yellow stuff, and I should buy the shiny, silvery stuff instead?

(phew..)

Thanks

gb