House Price Crash Forum

Newsnight Report On Belfast

Dylan

Most investment which has come into NI recently has gone straight into housing. There aren't lots of Japanese companies suddenly setting up in NI to explain house prices... NI house prices are completely speculation driven. Mostly by speculators who have never even been to NI before.

RPG alley

"...doubled in a year"

Teenagers at home doing drugs ?

Now it's daytime 'RPG on the xbox/ps2' alley.

That was a depressing article, place seemed like a time bomb to me. The NI divided situation is one of the best local motivations for becoming an atheist I know.

The Polish immigrant girl in the high price hotel was not doing her group any favours saying that the locals would rather stay on generous benefits than get a job. Rather ironic given Irish immigration over the years.

I thought Jeremy was going to pull that EA up on the downside of house prices 'allegedly' doubling in a year. Lovely place to live with all those ferrel kids on the street.

At least Newsnight ended on a high note with ITV getting their just deserts with the premium phone scam closing down big chunks of their garbage programming, pending investigation.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

That was a depressing article, place seemed like a time bomb to me. The NI divided situation is one of the best local motivations for becoming an atheist I know.

I thought Jeremy was going to pull that EA up on the downside of house prices 'allegedly' doubling in a year. Lovely place to live with all those ferrel kids on the street.

That bit with the EA reeling off his standard pitch on Jeremy was unbelievable. Total pie on the sky stuff. I found myself saying, 'You can't BS Paxman!' to the TV. :P But he didn't grill the guy (or even lightly flambe him). I liked the bit where the guy was bigging up the city and the camera focussed on a bench covered in graffiti. :D Subtle.

The comment from that Polish gel really got on my nerves. Just back from Poland - seemed like a society in crisis - totally corrupt, very right-wing and reactionary. Government was struggling to get the US son of star wars project based on Polish soil (as is Blair) :ph34r: Back there again on business in a couple of weeks. Interesting but depressing. Most people I know in N Ireland who aren't working would love a job but not at any price. Having endured decades of troubles-induced poverty, getting a job is pretty high on the agenda for many. But, unlike many of that lady's compatriots, they will not work for sub-minimum wages for illegally long hours (Visit Dungannon and you'll understand the situation).

Edited by gruffydd

The comment from that Polish gel really got on my nerves. Just back from Poland - seemed like a society in crisis - totally corrupt, very right-wing and reactionary. Government was struggling to get the US son of star wars project based on Polish soil (as is Blair) :ph34r: Back there again on business in a couple of weeks. Interesting but depressing. Most people I know in N Ireland who aren't working would love a job but not at any price. Having endured decades of troubles-induced poverty, getting a job is pretty high on the agenda for many. But, unlike many of that lady's compatriots, they will not work for sub-minimum wages for illegally long hours (Visit Dungannon and you'll understand the situation).

Yes you can always rely on a nation strong on religion to be right wing to the point of fascist. I'd laugh if they out Blaired Blair, me me me we. We will host the missiles to make the USA immune from attack. That way the American tradition of bombing other countries back to the stone age can carry on regardless. :ph34r:

Great quote from Paxman: "Irecommend a trip to Belfast to see where all of your tax money has gone" :lol:

Indeed it was! I've said it before - you people in England should start bringing this topic up with your MPs, let's see it raised in Parliament! If I were you I would be very angry at having to subsidise NI to such an extent. NI is like a child that has been taught to walk but still clings to its mother's hand and refuses to let go.

Indeed it was! I've said it before - you people in England should start bringing this topic up with your MPs, let's see it raised in Parliament! If I were you I would be very angry at having to subsidise NI to such an extent. NI is like a child that has been taught to walk but still clings to its mother's hand and refuses to let go.

Here here! Force the English/Scottish/Welsh politicians to give the NI politicians a good kicking!

Actually, it's more like a child with attention deficit disorder and withered legs. No offence intended, I'm referring to the entity not the great people who live there.

I will! Seeing that the Troubles are over, there's no longer any need for the level of subsidy currently being provided to N Ireland - I would prefer my Tax to go to starving children in Africa rather than subsidised concert halls and s*****y hotels in Belfast - you'd need your head checking if you went there on holiday anyhow, so these hotels must be for delegates travelling to public sector conferences.

BTW, what's wrong with S W A N K Y?

Edited by gruffydd

I will! Seeing that the Troubles are over, there's no longer any need for the level of subsidy currently being provided to N Ireland - I would prefer my Tax to go to starving children in Africa rather than subsidised concert halls and s*****y hotels in Belfast - you'd need your head checking if you went there on holiday anyhow, so these hotels must be for delegates travelling to public sector conferences.

It's got W A N K all over it.

I think you would find that withdrawing the subsidy would result in a slide back into political turmoil and terror. Peace has been bought with many billions of pounds of tax revenue.

It's got W A N K all over it.

I think you would find that withdrawing the subsidy would result in a slide back into political turmoil and terror. Peace has been bought with many billions of pounds of tax revenue.

Fair point! But we must acknowledge that a lot of that money has been wasted on pointless projects to pacify both sides in NI and provide ridiculous non-productive employment to keep the troublemakers occupied (devil makes work for idle hands and all that). Even if raising this as an issue in Parliament makes the govt decide to stop funding unnecessary crap, it will be worth it.

Edited by tara747

Ni is not the only subsidised area of the UK, take some areas in Scotland and your beloved Wales for example.

'After Ulster, Wales, the North-east and Scotland are the other big winners. The report estimates that London, the South-east and East Anglia together have paid out a net £250bn over the past 10 years.'

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business...icle2284057.ece

I think the overall question here is whether their will be a true breakup of the union or not, where self governance will be proper and not half-hearted. Then you get the Scots saying ok, we will keep our oil revenues and so on.....

Ni is not the only subsidised area of the UK, take some areas in Scotland and your beloved Wales for example.

'After Ulster, Wales, the North-east and Scotland are the other big winners. The report estimates that London, the South-east and East Anglia together have paid out a net £250bn over the past 10 years.'

I think the overall question here is whether their will be a true breakup of the union or not, where self governance will be proper and not half-hearted. Then you get the Scots saying ok, we will keep our oil revenues and so on.....

All the best paid public sector jobs are in London. London benefits massively from the public purse too.

East Anglia gains massively from EU subsidies due to the CAP system - handouts again.

I think Scotland would do very well from independence. Forget oil, they have massive potential for generating electricity using hydro electric power. They could sell it to us English & Welsh and become very rich.

I hate all this bashing of my fellow Brits.

Big up the BNP.

...Belfast - you'd need your head checking if you went there on holiday anyhow...

Have you ever been there? It's a great place to live or to visit. I lived there during the troubles and for a couple of years after the first ceasefire and it's far better than most all the ****hole towns in England.

Have you ever been there? It's a great place to live or to visit. I lived there during the troubles and for a couple of years after the first ceasefire and it's far better than most all the ****hole towns in England.

ssshhh - let him think there's bombs still going off - it kept a lid on house prices for years!

edit - Gruffyd if you're interested check out the NI forum and see the comments of 'the non-locals' who have moved there. That includes me - oops i suppose that makes me a VI Spinner :o

Edited by prophet-profit