Ftse Towards <6000, Dow Jones Towards <12000

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I sold the last of my UKCoal shares on Tuesday after the Shanghai Shakeout. Bought last February (2006) at 1.41 and sold the last at 4.988. Also dumped my beloved RBS shares for a 500% profit over 10 years but see the buggers are up over 2% today! :angry:

Thinned all my mutuals out after the Shanghai Shakeout and took considerable profits over the last 3 years. Now about 80% in short term bonds and cash and only 20% in stocks, mostly utilities, large cap value, and diversified International funds to hedge currency fluctuations.

The nice thing about holding things you can sell with the click of a mouse is that you can preserve profits. Unlike BTL and property investments. When they start to tank you end up chasing the market down and have to keep dropping your price to stay ahead of the pack and find a sucker to buy on a falling market.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I cashed in my mutual fund several months ago, largely because of what I'd been reading on this site (and because the fund hadn't performed that well in any case). As the SM has soared ever higher, I've thought: 'Maybe I shouldn't have listened to those cranks.' But now that shares are going tits up, I'm glad I did. So much for the likes of... well, every media commentator who wrote in the New Year that they'd keep rising blithely upwards in 2007. And the guy in the recent Motley Fool podcast who said: "If you're going to invest, put the bulk of your money in a FTSE Index tracker first."

Like a lot of people on here, I'm driven by a gut feeling that something's not quite right in this miracle economy of ours. I'm hoping that that feeing will be vindicated when it comes to house prices too.

HOLA4414

I cant belive it, why has this happened to me. I thought i could make it in the workd of shares

Ive lost thousands.....

:( Im am now ruined............. :(:(

:(:(

on MSN'S Virtual trader :lol:

Nearly everything I have has gone down & im in at leat 21 different sectors

Good way of keeping tabs on the economy ;)

Edited by Crashman Begins

HOLA4415
what happened

Al said earlier today he didn't mean a recession was possible in 2007, only that it wasn't probable. As the speech went public the stock markets appeared to bounce back. Al's initial remarks about a week or so ago are being blamed by some for the Shanghai Shakeout that happened a few days ago.

HOLA4416
Al said earlier today he didn't mean a recession was possible in 2007, only that it wasn't probable. As the speech went public the stock markets appeared to bounce back. Al's initial remarks about a week or so ago are being blamed by some for the Shanghai Shakeout that happened a few days ago.

I bet he's going to get pissed on in his Lodge meeting tonight. :lol::lol:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
not wishing to ruin the party, but doesn't this mean people will be even more bricks and mortar obsessed for a bit, having seen their unit trusts knifed in the guts?

It is rumoured that millions of OOs and BTLers MEWed to buy stocks. Especially BTLers as their yields hit 5 year lows recently killing cash flow.

In 1987 the HPI party lingered for 18 months after the SM crash. I doubt there will be that much delay this time as houses already began slowing (slowing) in October 2006 and mortgage borrowing is also cooling if the CML and BBA are to be believed. Also, the market is going nowhere over most of the country--just London/SE speculation and if the SM crash is the beginning of a bear market for stocks the layoffs in the City will begin very soon.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
It is rumoured that millions of OOs and BTLers MEWed to buy stocks. Especially BTLers as their yields hit 5 year lows recently killing cash flow.

In 1987 the HPI party lingered for 18 months after the SM crash. I doubt there will be that much delay this time as houses already began slowing (slowing) in October 2006 and mortgage borrowing is also cooling if the CML and BBA are to be believed. Also, the market is going nowhere over most of the country--just London/SE speculation and if the SM crash is the beginning of a bear market for stocks the layoffs in the City will begin very soon.

Well, that's reassuring. I live in one of those relatively cheap parts of SE London where the HPI party is still going strong. Everything in the 240-275k bracket (ie a 3 bed terrace) is under offer about a week after it appears on the EA's website, so I have been becomnig steadily more depressed. Though general market data points to a slowdown i can't see it yet.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423