House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Gold Is Going South Now

i dont believe this figure for a few reasons, like anything a single item will cost a lot more than mass produced item.

what is the cost derived from?, if its electricity costs well these vary, and why not just build your own hydro dam to cut there costs, or use nuclear plant energy at night on cheap rate.

does wage costs come into it?, then do the conversion in china instead.

So unless you explain how this cost comes about its going to be difficult to sit dwn and work out how to do it cheaper and thus proffitable.

you can not create gold from other base metals or any other element.

you can in fact change on element into another but it is extremely expensive and i don’t think gold has yet been "created" by man. although other elements in small quantities have been created.

He was taking the piss with his $980 gold comment

you can not create gold from other base metals or any other element.

you can in fact change on element into another but it is extremely expensive and i don’t think gold has yet been "created" by man. although other elements in small quantities have been created.

He was taking the piss with his $980 gold comment

I was for sure! The quit-witted would have seen the "?" that followed the suggested number (Post #75). Some take the question and spin it around into a fact without realising the suggested price was a bit tongue in cheek. I wonder who did that? 3 guesses.......

If (if) someone did manage to expand on the Russian scientist's success in creating trace amounts of gold into a commercially viable process the price of gold would sink like a lead ball.

Edited by Realistbear

I was for sure! The quit-witted would have seen the "?" that followed the suggested number (Post #75). Some take the question and spin it around into a fact without realising the suggested price was a bit tongue in cheek. I wonder who did that? 3 guesses.......

If (if) someone did manage to expand on the Russian scientist's success in creating trace amounts of gold into a commercially viable process the price of gold would sink like a lead ball.

want to link this Russian gold creator?

just from basic physics/chemistry, it is extremely expensive to turn one element into another. we can so far turn heavy elements into lighter ones but only a select few heavy elements and only a few % of the isotopes in nuclear reactors.

we can turn some light elements into heavier elements in hydrogen bombs and nuclear reactors.

i suppose if you bombard lower elements with neutrons you might get gold out eventually.

but again it would be extremely expensive

want to link this Russian gold creator?

just from basic physics/chemistry, it is extremely expensive to turn one element into another. we can so far turn heavy elements into lighter ones but only a select few heavy elements and only a few % of the isotopes in nuclear reactors.

we can turn some light elements into heavier elements in hydrogen bombs and nuclear reactors.

i suppose if you bombard lower elements with neutrons you might get gold out eventually.

but again it would be extremely expensive

Once humanity reaches a state were gold (and hence any other element!) could just be created out of

basically nothing, the world economy would change FUNDAMENTALLY. Say, you'd have a StarTrek-like replicator

that works almost for free. Not only gold would be worthless, but many other things as well (why not replicating

your own nuke?). I.e. the first thing that would plummet along with gold would be US-bonds (sorry, RB, I had to

write that one :P ).

But let's face it. There is no free lunch, i.e. creation of something will always cost something. And that keeps the

balance. If you need 0.5 ounces lead, 0.5 ounces platinum and 1000MWh of electricity to create 1oz gold, you

get nowhere with it (economically speaking).

In other words: I will buy more gold, possibly tomorrow. :lol:

I remember having a dream where it was possible to download solid objects from the internet; it quickly became a nightmare as everyone was razzing around in sportscars, had Eva Green (woof) for a girlfriend, and had access to any weapon imaginable. I woke in a cold sweat.

Seriously, I remember telling my then flatmate I was buying Gold last year; he chided me because Gold could be extracted from seawater. Whatever you do, you will have people telling you that it is stupid/wise for ridiculous reasons.

Guest The_Oldie

Gold now 639.45.

"Gold trading near a five week low, with some investors tending to sell the metal to cover losses in equities" said Bloomberg this morning.

I am still confident about gold and silver (especially silver) over the next couple of weeks at least.

Panicky traders will (in my rather limited opinion) be looking for a safe place to dump cash, and once the rush starts we could see a strong rally north. It probably wont last too long so judging when to sell will be for the skilful.

A few solid weeks for gold and silver. Their, my neck is out. :unsure:

I am still confident about gold and silver (especially silver) over the next couple of weeks at least.

Panicky traders will (in my rather limited opinion) be looking for a safe place to dump cash, and once the rush starts we could see a strong rally north. It probably wont last too long so judging when to sell will be for the skilful.

A few solid weeks for gold and silver. Their, my neck is out. :unsure:

Gold's southbound right now. USD 636.22. There will be great buying opportunities!

Gold's southbound right now. USD 636.22. There will be great buying opportunities!

Yes i think so, I get paid at the end of the week so i will see if my guess is right by then. Ill either be buying a few more ounces or a large bottle of Jack Daniels.... or both. :)

Edited by charliemouse

Guest Shedfish
I remember having a dream where it was possible to download solid objects from the internet; it quickly became a nightmare as everyone was razzing around in sportscars, had Eva Green (woof) for a girlfriend, and had access to any weapon imaginable. I woke in a cold sweat.

that is a very very good idea for a book

Rumour has it the Cartel placed around $40billion worth of shorts to keep gold and silver down whilst the sheep were being herded into T Bonds. Can't wait til they cover all those shorts; could start a stampede...

Wonder how much longer they can keep this going?

Gold still looks like it's being surpressed...

Wonder how much longer they can keep this going?

Gold still looks like it's being surpressed...

Gold may be being perceived as part of the wider commodity bubble. Demand for other metals may tank if China go Japanese and have a generational house market collapse along with stagflation. Gold may possibly just get tarred with the same brush.

Down to 635 now:

GOLD 03/05/2007 07:57 635.80

Gold may be being perceived as part of the wider commodity bubble. Demand for other metals may tank if China go Japanese and have a generational house market collapse along with stagflation. Gold may possibly just get tarred with the same brush.

Down to 635 now:

GOLD 03/05/2007 07:57 635.80

from where im sitting gold is up

£331.58 +2.18 +0.66%

The mines are not suddenly producing more than they were a week ago.

Countrys banks have not decided do change their minds and hoard Dollars again.

Jewelry is not going out of fashion (especially in India)

America and Iran haven't become best friends over night.

I don't see any new oil fields being discovered.

Ill stand my ground on this one. Gold and silver will recover due to fundamentals. <_<

Although the rest of the economy and the housing market will probably go to hell in a hand cart. :D

Gosh! i got a little emotional then. Lucky im not a day trader, id probably loose everything.

Edited by charliemouse

Expect gold to fall sharply when Japan opens in an hour. They've been limit down the last two days and it's their first chance to sell. Should be a good time to pick up bargains if you've got a trading account that lets you trade at this time.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...fer=commodities

``You've got some wealth deterioration in the stock market,'' said Frank McGhee, head metals trader at Integrated Brokerage Services LLC in Chicago. ``Gold is a store of value and it's convertible. People who need cash raise it through gold.''

Whoever is 'cashing in' their gold is doing it for a reason - it's certainly isn't to 'prop up' their other falling assets...

``In this type of market, people get nervous,'' said Graham Birch, who helps manage about $8 billion in precious-metals equities at BlackRock Investment Management in London. ``People are looking to put a bit of money back in the bank.''

Oh, dear...

Edited by dnd

Expect gold to fall sharply when Japan opens in an hour. They've been limit down the last two days and it's their first chance to sell. Should be a good time to pick up bargains if you've got a trading account that lets you trade at this time.

Well looks like it wasso obvious that the selloff came before Japan opened everyone positioning themselves.

I'm going to call the bottom for gold now. :P