House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Gold Is Going South Now

Gold's lost at least 10 days gains!

Who'll own up to being ruined? :rolleyes:

Not me. Gold is a good investment vehicle if you have the nerves for it. All about market timing and buying low and selling when its high and not holding too long (like BTL). I even sold my black gold today (UKCoal) but did do rather well in the last year--1.41 to 4.98. Beat the socks off Gold and just about any other commodity you care to name. In fact, coal is even less "fiat" that gold because at least you can use the stuff to keep warm.

Gone 80:20 now. 80% short term cash and bonds. 20% stocks and most in utilities as Warren B said last year that he was going into that area as you always need to turn on the lights, even in a recession. Canny bugger saw it coming--again.

Gold's lost at least 10 days gains!

Who'll own up to being ruined? :rolleyes:

It's bad, it's bad. Well, well. It will go up again. And then for good.

It's only, if the tops would only be so easily spottable as in the HPI

case :( Could have made a nice amount of gold today...

Goldfinger

It's bad, it's bad. Well, well. It will go up again. And then for good.

It's only, if the tops would only be so easily spottable as in the HPI

case :( Could have made a nice amount of gold today...

Goldfinger

I would have thought that NOW would be the time for all that money that is sloshing around to do two things to manilpulate the market 1) go big into short positions and 2) simultaneously buy heaps of gold.

The effect would be to force governments and banks to raise interest rates (they don't like high gold prices) and at the same time the higher IR's will kill business thus enhancing short positions making them money to plough into gold - and thus the next cycle begins.

Seems like the ideal time to manipulate the market.

IMHAL

It would be a surprise if the gold price takes longer to recover than the equities indices. And not just recover but continue upwards. It could be a bumpy ride, though. :o

It would be a surprise if the gold price takes longer to recover than the equities indices. And not just recover but continue upwards. It could be a bumpy ride, though. :o

Yeah, that's what I think. As it looks now, during the last hour, gold found support at $660.

And we should not forget: the slump has wiped out DJ profits year-to-date, but not gold.

I am quite confident that the macro-economic facts shine through soon. The sellers today

where nervous funds and people who have a generally shorter investment horizon.

Australia starts trading now. Let's see what they're doing.

Goldfinger

Hope this is the bottom! I am all in again, after selling some at the top of the rally after 4pm. If it goes up from here, this will have been a good day for me...

Hope this is the bottom! I am all in again, after selling some at the top of the rally after 4pm. If it goes up from here, this will have been a good day for me...

Congrats! You have already increased the amount of gold when you have re-invested all the money from the

sale earlier. I.e. it HAS been successful for you. (You won't count your success in paper money, will you?) :rolleyes:

Goldfinger

Edited by goldfinger

Congrats! You have already increased the amount of gold when you have re-invested all the money from the

sale earlier. I.e. it HAS been successful for you. (You won't count your success in paper money, will you?) :rolleyes:

Goldfinger

The plunge protection team was out in force today. As gold corrected, and went positive, the PPT drove it down hard, then at 3PM USA Eastern Time they propped up the Dow. It was falling off a cliff.

This is just the beginning folks.

Edited by Pluto

Goldfinger

Yes! I can't wait to get rid of this rubbish Gold stuff for some good old $$$!

Seriously, all that counts is grams gained. My family/friends think I am a nutter. I may as well be trading sparrow skulls.

The plunge protection team was out in force today. As gold corrected, and went positive, the PPT drove it down hard, then at 3PM USA Eastern Time they propped up the Dow. It was falling off a cliff.

This is just the beginning folks.

How can you prop it up? Not that many elfs on the planet to print enough liquidity surely? <_< No one is gonna by the promises/bonds are they? :blink:

How can you prop it up? Not that many elfs on the planet to print enough liquidity surely? <_< No one is gonna by the promises/bonds are they? :blink:

They have the full use of the Treasury's money. Basically unlimited funds. There was no way they could allow Gold to end up positive today. It would have caused a flight to precious metals.

We are in for some interesting times ahead, that is for sure. All those city boys must be pooping their pants about now.

Edited by Pluto

Gold's losses may be limited should investors seek a haven from turmoil in the markets, analysts said.

``If anything, the sell-off in Chinese stocks will increase demand for gold,'' said James Turk, founder of GoldMoney.com, which had $186 million worth of gold and silver in storage for investors at the end of January.

``As investors in China get burned with stocks, they will shy away from speculative stuff, and opt for the security that gold offers,'' Turk said before the close of Comex floor trading.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...fer=commodities

If you don't mind me asking, is this physical gold you're talking? Where do you trade that isn't subject to a 5% markup/down on the spot price? I've been holding onto a chunk of physical for a few months now, but even after some fairly significant rises from my buying price, the markup that Chard would take haven't made it worth selling.

I need to see at least a 10% rise in gold before I can even start thinking about coming out up. Is there a better way to do this?

Or are your discussions centered around something like GoldMoney, instead, where the markup is (presumably, haven't checked?) lower?

If you don't mind me asking, is this physical gold you're talking? Where do you trade that isn't subject to a 5% markup/down on the spot price? I've been holding onto a chunk of physical for a few months now, but even after some fairly significant rises from my buying price, the markup that Chard would take haven't made it worth selling.

I need to see at least a 10% rise in gold before I can even start thinking about coming out up. Is there a better way to do this?

Or are your discussions centered around something like GoldMoney, instead, where the markup is (presumably, haven't checked?) lower?

Bullionvault. Typical spread on the KG is about $80, and I pay a 0.02% commission. This means I can trade on relatively small movements, and buy back in to make more grams.

Trading in this way is little more than gambling though. Overall I am long.

Wouldn't hold physical if you want to take advantage of short term dips..

Bullionvault. Typical spread on the KG is about $80, and I pay a 0.02% commission. This means I can trade on relatively small movements, and buy back in to make more grams.

Trading in this way is little more than gambling though. Overall I am long.

Tahoma must have invested quite a bit to have a that good commission.

However, the highest commission is 0.8% at BV. That is still pretty good.

I.e. from a plunge of 1.6% on, you'd make grams (if you were that lucky

-- I wasn't today).

Goldfinger

They have the full use of the Treasury's money. Basically unlimited funds. There was no way they could allow Gold to end up positive today. It would have caused a flight to precious metals.

Who is 'they' or the PPT? (don't know the acronym)

It might have been more selling by some of the european central banks.

Gold has been going up in Sidney during the last hour...

Goldfinger

I was nearly spooked into selling my BullionVault gold last night. I'm glad I didn't, as my balance has gone up sharply overnight (though not to the level it was at 24 hours ago).

I was nearly spooked into selling my BullionVault gold last night. I'm glad I didn't, as my balance has gone up sharply overnight (though not to the level it was at 24 hours ago).

It's going to be VERY interesting today. So far, the direction is upward...

Goldfinger

I'm chuffed this morning. My BV account is worth what it was at $685 spot, and I now own more Gold. However, as GF says, it is going to be an interesting day...