House Price Crash Forum

Leaving A Rental Property

twatmangle

HOLA441

Hypothetical questions:

There are tenants living in rental accommodation. They give notice (1 full month and remainder of current month = 6 weeks).

Could they then refuse to allow the LL/agency have viewings until they had vacated?

Is the LL/agency allowed to show people around the home whilst they were out - without their permission or giving 24 hours notice?

Regardless of the law, is it reasonable for people to refuse to allow viewings whilst they were still living there?

Mr.Mangle

HOLA442
Hypothetical questions:

There are tenants living in rental accommodation. They give notice (1 full month and remainder of current month = 6 weeks).

Could they then refuse to allow the LL/agency have viewings until they had vacated?

Is the LL/agency allowed to show people around the home whilst they were out - without their permission or giving 24 hours notice?

Regardless of the law, is it reasonable for people to refuse to allow viewings whilst they were still living there?

Mr.Mangle

Nobody is allowed to go in your house without permission no matter what the contract says (unless it is an emergency). It is trespass/harrassment and a criminal offense under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977.

If they've been good to you though, I reckon it is good policy to allow viewings with the appropriate notice... especially if you want a nice reference.

HOLA443
Nobody is allowed to go in your house without permission no matter what the contract says (unless it is an emergency). It is trespass/harrassment and a criminal offense under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977.

If they've been good to you though, I reckon it is good policy to allow viewings with the appropriate notice... especially if you want a nice reference.

Sound advice. Thankyou

HOLA444

I would let prospective tenants view if they are accompanied and give reasonable notice. I know many people on this site have had problems but if everyone is reasonable that things normally work a lot better.

It is worth noting that if you were looking for a property to rent and an incumbent tenant would not allow access this could be causing you hassle - i.e. really like the property but need to move quickly or have to travel a distance to view.

MM

HOLA445

Most tenancy agreements I have ever signed have specified that the tenant must allow reasonable access for prospective tenants to view the property in the last 1 - 2 months of the tenancy.

It does seem only fair that a LL has the ability to show a property before a tenant moves out so that the property can be let again without a big void. I do usually stipulate that a 24 hour notice be given and nothing before 9 a.m and after 6 p.m. and nothing on Sunday.

Most agents and LL I have dealt with seem to think this is fair and I also usually suggest to them that I normally clean on a Friday morning so showing on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning while my kids are not there and the place is still tidy would be a good time to show it. If find they are usually grateful that a tenant actually bothers to clean at all and take the hint and try not to bring people round at other times.

HOLA446
Most tenancy agreements I have ever signed have specified that the tenant must allow reasonable access for prospective tenants to view the property in the last 1 - 2 months of the tenancy.

It does seem only fair that a LL has the ability to show a property before a tenant moves out so that the property can be let again without a big void. I do usually stipulate that a 24 hour notice be given and nothing before 9 a.m and after 6 p.m. and nothing on Sunday.

Most agents and LL I have dealt with seem to think this is fair and I also usually suggest to them that I normally clean on a Friday morning so showing on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning while my kids are not there and the place is still tidy would be a good time to show it. If find they are usually grateful that a tenant actually bothers to clean at all and take the hint and try not to bring people round at other times.

The *statutory* right to "quite enjoyment" overrides any *contractual* terms – so technically any AST clauses on access cannot be enforced …

… but allowing reasonableness to prevail is always preferable.

MM