House Price Crash Forum

3 Million Tenants Face The Boot

HOLA441
ahhh....i pay £200 pcm for a 1 bed, sucure tenancy and garden. they also fix me boiler....

now thats not CHEAP or below the market rate !!!

...its normal.

you all just have been convinced its a good idea to pay triple that for your rents.

why ?

i dont know why you do it.

agreed, council rants arn't cheap, for those that pay at least, it's private rents that are expensive.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
agreed, council rants arn't cheap, for those that pay at least, it's private rents that are expensive.

agreed to.

why is it someone has lost all proportion of reasoning regarding rents and now thinks that £200 is below the maket rate, when it has followed the governments rate of inflation since 2001. in 2000 £200 was normal for a 1 bed flat in chorley. chorley wages have not risen sice 2001. so why should rents.

all private rents have followed daft inflation. hype inflation and speculation.

and now they turn on me.......for being sensible and not stupid.

the only thing thats above market value is the current level of 'muppetery'

HOLA444
I'd just like to say that Will hutton is a swivel eyed NuLab TwatLad.

Thanks for listening.

agreed

The sooner we can kick out this bunch of morons the better - my money is on a Tory/Lib dem/green coalition to introduce PR and then we can lose this Nu Labour bunch forever

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Bart of Darkness
More will be done, including offering cash bonuses, to move people out so that those in dire need can get a home.

If people are in "dire need", build more fecking council houses!

OK, you might have to specify that no right to buy will exist on these homes until say 25 years have passed, otherwise it would probably be viewed as a waste of time. by local authorities But that wouldn't be an insurmountable problem IMO.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I have to agree with Cletus et al on this. passing this housing down the generations is wrong.

This kind of thing really gets my goat. I agree that social housing is required but I have a friend who lives in a council flat with her partner because her family had a council house that wasn't big enough for the whole family. This is fair enough. but then my friend gets RTB and only have to live in it for 2 years before they can let it out. I love the girl - but this makes me sick. My morality strings are being pulled all over the place with this. elp!

HOLA449
Guest Bart of Darkness
NO - because how can people then profiteer from the BTL market if LAs create social housing...

oh - no !! we'd be ruined and the government would need to create some real wealth to our economy....

Damn your eyes! You've spotted the one tiny flaw in my otherwise perfect plan.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The income that councils get from renting out council houses is significant.

Those houses have paid for themselves many times over.

If these houses get sold off, councils will be out of pocket and will have to cut back services or put

council taxes up.

HOLA4412

I think most of us are pro social housing for those that really need it, but like some of the posters above, I dont think social housing should be thought of in the long term for everyone. Sure those who are unable to look after themselves need to be helped by society, but those who just dont put the effort in can go live in the streets, some people take the piss.

We all know someone like this, I know an old school friend who gets a council house in the centre of town and enough £s to buy booze. Now if he knew that was going to run out eventually maybe he'd get off his ****, the reality is he is quite content and will never do a thing.

HOLA4413
Only 4% of council houses in Scotland were built after 1982 so yes it is not just them being sold off, they stopped building too. Add up the rent of the average council tenant over a period of 25 years and they have more than paid off the cost of the house.

True for private tenants as well - should they have the right to buy ?

HOLA4414
The income that councils get from renting out council houses is significant.

Those houses have paid for themselves many times over.

If these houses get sold off, councils will be out of pocket and will have to cut back services or put

council taxes up.

They are currently paying housing benefit for people in genuine need to pay the rent for someone's BTL at market rent.

Meanwhile, well-off sons of council house tenants park their BMWs outside their council house.

The plan is for those in need to go into the council houses (perhaps with a time limit), while those who can support themselves pay to rent or buy like the rest of us.

If rents are generally too high then that is a separate issue. Why should some get special treatment just because their parents were once in need many, many years ago?

HOLA4415
I think most of us are pro social housing for those that really need it, but like some of the posters above, I dont think social housing should be thought of in the long term for everyone. Sure those who are unable to look after themselves need to be helped by society, but those who just dont put the effort in can go live in the streets, some people take the piss.

We all know someone like this, I know an old school friend who gets a council house in the centre of town and enough £s to buy booze. Now if he knew that was going to run out eventually maybe he'd get off his ****, the reality is he is quite content and will never do a thing.

I've said this before earlier on. This is a symptom of the ridiculous benefit system and is not exclusive to social/council housed tenants.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm...-name_page.html

You could not even begin to imagine the amount of contempt I hold for this Nu Liebour shower of sh1t! I really hope this backfires on them big time!

Don't see the problem with this. People will be means tested, so why should the people who struggle worry?

I know about, and have heard about people living in council houses maying minimal rent who are very well off and are happy paying a low rent for somewhere in Central London, and I think i'm right in thing.

What would be worrying is the level which they determine people are entitled to live in Council Housing, and that people who genuinely deserve council housing at low rent get it.

The government needs to free up some of this housing for the illegals it's let into the country on benifits anyway, as housing them in bnb's and hotels is costing a fortune

HOLA4418
Don't see the problem with this. People will be means tested, so why should the people who struggle worry?

I know about, and have heard about people living in council houses maying minimal rent who are very well off and are happy paying a low rent for somewhere in Central London, and I think i'm right in thing.

What would be worrying is the level which they determine people are entitled to live in Council Housing, and that people who genuinely deserve council housing at low rent get it.

The government needs to free up some of this housing for the illegals it's let into the country on benifits anyway, as housing them in bnb's and hotels is costing a fortune

Because as usual it will be the people who work but dont have high levels of earnings that will end up struggling the rest will have their rent paid for them as they do now if they rent privately. There will be a whole group of people who will struggle to keep their heads above water perhaps they would then be better off working less hours and keeping their home.

HOLA4419
Because as usual it will be the people who work but dont have high levels of earnings that will end up struggling the rest will have their rent paid for them as they do now if they rent privately. There will be a whole group of people who will struggle to keep their heads above water perhaps they would then be better off working less hours and keeping their home.

Hence why I said what is worrying is how they determine the threshold.

Government can't win ever can it, not that I like Labour at all, but policies like this will always be controversial. One thing which is appalling is i read somewhere and can believe that this government more than any other has made a greater % of people dependent on benefits and handouts, such that people are becoming reliant on it.

Suppose In an ideal world everyone would have a house, a car, not worry about bills, be paid a decent wage, be equal... hang on sounds a bit like communism! which is the better of the 2 evils I wonder

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Only 4% of council houses in Scotland were built after 1982 so yes it is not just them being sold off, they stopped building too. Add up the rent of the average council tenant over a period of 25 years and they have more than paid off the cost of the house.

good point. my mother bought her council house after paying the rent for 35 years. i think she had more than paid for it by then,

but what is really gallling is the suggestion that all council housing estates are ghettoes. some are but most are not,

labour are really going hell for leather for the middle class (read propertied class ) vote with these tacky americanised policies trusting that the working class will keep voting them in because they dont know any better.

at the end of the day it is just another step in the inevitable turning of the uk into a clone of america

YOU EITHER BUY , RENT FROM A RACKMAN OR LIVE IN A TRAILER PARK.

There will be no other options,

edit: of course there will be a fourth option : PRISON.

i reckon UK prison population will eventually reach 200,000 as they lock more and more of the poor up,

Edited by kenclarkesshoes

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
I don't understand why someone that lives in a council house should still receive below market rent

and what is a fair market rent ?

perhaps private rents should be brought down to the level of social rents which are fair. private rents are absurdly high because house prices are absurdly high and so the whole circle keeps turning.

Accommodation and profiteering from it is the biggest issue in the UK at present and Labour are pandering to selfish VIs. nothing less.

HOLA4425

A working-class 10'-wide terraced home costs £800PCM+ a month. That's frankly way too much for two working parents on 12k-13k a year.

The best way to lower rents is to build all the social housing that's needed and some more besides. I'd have much preferred a council flat instead of paying 40% of my tiny pay-check for a room in a slum when I was trying to find my feet as a young graduate.

Private rents would have to fall as people would have an alternative to brutal rents or suicidal mortgages.

I'd say building council housing's better use of money than tax credits, starting wars, a national ID card and big-brother CCTV networks.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned