House Price Crash Forum

Property As Status Symbol

When it came to naming the ultimate status symbol, over half the people surveyed rated owning an private island as the pinnacle of earthly attainment

.... other than in the Indian Ocean one assumes....

Of course the interesting thing about status symbols is that they are generally so fashionable that they prove in time to be extremely poor investments.....

Reminds me of a news article on radio 1 which said that in a poll a womens number one priority when looking for a man is him owning a property!!!

So I could have any woman if:

1. Looked like George Clooney, and was funny all the time

2. Was 6 ft tall and had a muscily body and big sexual organs

2. Works voluntarily for Fire Brigade one day a week to boast sex apeal

2. Owned a detached house which has its own private beach and land

3. Owned a Mercedes SLK (changed for a new one each year)

4. Pay off this womans 10K limit credit card each month without question

5. Allowed the woman to do whatever she wanted to do without question

6. Appeared monthly in Hello magazine

whoa. it looks shallow (and is, the way they've surveyed it). but if you think about it for a moment, there is nothing strange about wanting to own a place to lay your head and to support a family. In both the most primitive and the wealthiest of societies, having a sturdy home is a symbol of hard work and success.

it also is basic that women would want a man with property - indicating stability and a place to raise children.

So I could have any woman if:

1. Looked like George Clooney, and was funny all the time

2. Was 6 ft tall and had a muscily body and big sexual organs

2. Works voluntarily for Fire Brigade one day a week to boast sex apeal

2. Owned a detached house which has its own private beach and land

3. Owned a Mercedes SLK (changed for a new one each year)

4. Pay off this womans 10K limit credit card each month without question

5. Allowed the woman to do whatever she wanted to do without question

6. Appeared monthly in Hello magazine

Yes, you could. However, whether you would want such a woman is another question entirely (and a question that is easily answered).

there is nothing strange about wanting to own a place to lay your head and to support a family.

No, there isn't. There is, however, in desiring property for its STATUS, rather than its utility value, which is what you're talking about.

having a sturdy home is a symbol of hard work and success.

Or a basic human right? I don't call every human being having a roof to call their own the pinnacle of human achievement; rather the fundamental building block of a civilised society.

it also is basic that women would want a man with property - indicating stability and a place to raise children.

So much for women's lib. :rolleyes:

Yes, you could. However, whether you would want such a woman is another question entirely (and a question that is easily answered).

No, there isn't. There is, however, in desiring property for its STATUS, rather than its utility value, which is what you're talking about.

Or a basic human right? I don't call every human being having a roof to call their own the pinnacle of human achievement; rather the fundamental building block of a civilised society.

So much for women's lib. :rolleyes:

Honestly Zzg113, your command of the English language and your intellectual viewpoint is very much admired from this side of the water.

Nice reply.

Yes, probably we do, and it's sickening to see from day to day. If being mortgaged up the eyeballs and maxxed out on CC's is a sign of success, I'll take being "rich and unsuccessful" any day. :)

edit: not that I am rich (yet).. still working on the first million.. *sigh*.