House Price Crash Forum

There Are Now 2.5 Million People

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7.9m economically inactive, plus those officially unemployed. How do these figures compare to total unemployment/economically inactive levels in the past, anyone know?

Not sure about the comparison, but I'll bet it's not been as high before as it is now.

I guess you need to be a bit careful about "economically inactive" though. What exactly does it mean? I took early retirement at the age of 50, with a large final salary pension. I may be included in the numbers. but I've still got a large income, and don't need to work (well not in the conventional employee sense). How many others like me are within these numbers?

There was a program on radio 4 just before christmas about 'incapacity' benefit.

Apparently the number is increasing by 3000 per day. They didn't make it clear if that was a net gain - I assume some people do actually stop claiming it and return to work?

If it is a net gain, how long before the entire population is bed-bound?

:(

First it was value of a house of a poor guy who had commited suicide, now you're targeting the disabled, strewth now who's clutching at straws.

First it was value of a house of a poor guy who had commited suicide, now you're targeting the disabled, strewth now who's clutching at straws.

Nobody is targeting the disabled, the truly disabled that is. And there aren't many people in that camp. My uncle was hit by a car when he was 21. Spent his life paralysed from the waist down, which is tough these days, it was worse 40 years ago with no wheelchair access etc. He retired at 65 a self-made millionaire.

Obviously there are people who really can't work. The severly mentally and/or physically disabled and these people need looking after. What I object to is those who do F*** all because of 'a dodgy back'. ******, there are plenty of things they can do.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

There are around 1.4 million on incapacity benefit suffering from STRESS.

This stress is made worse by the fear that they will be forced to return to work when they are tumbled. :D

Guest pioneer31

I think incapacity benefit should be staggered according to the severity of your ailment. For example someone who is paralysed should get more than someone with stress!

It has occured to me that we have so many bogus claimants because they get too much money? They're obviously surviving quite well on benefits. Maybe it's time they didn't?

I know 2 people who have been unemployed for over 10 years. Both are now 'sick', one has sciatica and the other is depressed

So am I when I look at my paypacket

This is why the key figure is the number of people in full time employment. If there are substantially more people employed today than 8 years ago this could justify an increase in house prices, not to current levels, but an increase. Shifting unemployed people on to another list of people who do not work does not support an increase.

Don't know what we'd do without migrant workers like fingerless electrcians and one legged roof tilers.

Agreed, there is abuse by immigrants too, but the vast majority of abuse is by "indigineous" Britons. At the same time most immigrants work hard at crappy low paid jobs that wouldn't get done otherwise. By all means "close the borders" if you want, but first get the lazy brits back to work.

While I agree this is another NuLabour stats fiddle to mask unemployment, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't genuinely more sick people around these days.

After all, anyone born today has a 1 in 3 chance of developing cancer during their lifetime. Plus, it's a great testament to British thick skins that so many of us can muddle through modern Britian without becoming seriously mentally ill.

Yonmon,

Slightly tongue in cheek comment from me - although two examples were true I believe. However it does expose the poetntial for abuse of the system. As for needing basic maths I'm not sure that is true, accurate data is required to calculate the benefit (or otherwise) and I don't think that exists.

COAB,

After all, anyone born today has a 1 in 3 chance of developing cancer during their lifetime

Isn't this partially a factir of lifespan - if you don't die of some other (now curable) disease you have longer to contract some other curable and non-curable diseases, cancer being one that has a higher chance of occurence later on in life?

How about this then....... :unsure:

At my local hospital where the wife works, staff on long term sick with stress are unable to return to work as there is a backlog waiting to see the stress councillor.

Why can they not see her?

Ye you guessed it.........she's off sick with stress :lol:

So can I but it doesn't mean I automatically know how many scroungers are indigenous brits.

?

For goodness sake, stop being so obtuse.

If there are 2.5m "on the sick" are you honestly claiming that the majority could be immigrants? Over 1.25m immigrants on the sick? Even the BNP wouldnt make such an absurd claim, surely?

Sometimes I despair....