House Price Crash Forum

Renters Answer Me One Question

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you walk/drive down the street.

How many houses cry out to you to be a home. How many have a nice garden that you could enjoy the coming summer in, or the house despite its many faults, just says you. How many would would be a relaxing safe haven for you, a place to truely call home.

Every single day you must pass hundreds of them. How many do you look at and think this?.

Every single day you must pass hundreds, it must be killing you.

Go on be honest. Tell the investment appraisal lot to f*** **f and the 'place to call a home' is the most single important factor to you, and its killing you.

Not a single one. The large two bedroomed flat I rent costs me about £260 a month in rent. I don't have to worry about the plumbing/heating/electrics/roof blowing off in a gale. I am saving money in the bank every month. I don't have to worry about if I have enough money to feed the family on a regular basis.

To buy an equivalent sized property I would be paying 2-3 times what I am now, to live in the same area. Bang would go my savings and my security/sanity.

Why would I want to risk this?

How many houses cry out to you to be a home. How many have a nice garden that you could enjoy the coming summer in, or the house despite its many faults, just says you. How many would would be a relaxing safe haven for you, a place to truely call home.

Every single day you must pass hundreds of them. How many do you look at and think this?.

Go on be honest. Tell the investment appraisal lot to f*** **f and the 'place to call a home' is the most single important factor to you, and its killing you.

Dude - you have obviously never lived in east London. I think I can honestly say none of the houses around here are crying out to me. I really don't feel the urge to splat down nearly 10X my salary to buy any of the very average places around here.

Mind you as someone who has always lived in rented accommodation - even while growing up - I don't really have the same level of obsession with property that other Brits have. If I have enough to buy one someday - all well and good. Meanwhile the interest on my still growing savings is paying all my rent.

Our place has a garden (which we are growing lots of veggies in - the landlord lets us do what we fancy with the house and garden) and it's true we have enjoyed several summers in it. I highly recommend renting somewhere with a garden.

As the slates flew off our roof on Thursday i smiled to myself, there's another £100 i don't have to find ;)

Yep. Thats another thing. I posted on another thread about one of the trees blowing down in my garden and the landlord sorted it out so it saved me a £100 that I would have had to pay if I had owned the place. Well what little did I know - just as I was sitting down to me lunch with a nice glass of wine and another tree fell over in the garden just like that. I rang up the gardener on my mobile between mouthfuls just to let him know of course and he was round there with a contractor and a chainsaw the very next day. Took two man days to get rid of it. Thats £300 quid saved this week and the boiler blew up twice over Xmas so that another £500 quid I saved.

Did I mention we had a great landlord. We are really well looked after and I would not change a thing. We treat him with respect and he does likewise.

Why can't a rented house be a home? It is to millions all over Europe. It is to me , and we have no problem with it. Not everyone is obsessed with ownership. People typically buy a house, tart(screw) it up as they like, live there 5 years then move on.The next person rips out the new kitchen, laminated flooring etc and tarts it up to their tastes.

Its a waste olf time and resources, me and my familly have many more important amnd interesting things to do in life other than liing the tv makeover dream.

Especially when the only reason to buy economically is in the expectation on hpi, and if you dont ge it oyure screwed

But, horses for courses etc

Could the OP get in touch with me. I cannot afford a house in my area (inspite of being a doctor) so was going to need to rent. However the market is obviously ripe for investment so he will no doubt be keen to do so together with me. Prices here rose 44% last year so you cant possibly lose out.

Yep. Thats another thing. I posted on another thread about one of the trees blowing down in my garden and the landlord sorted it out so it saved me a £100 that I would have had to pay if I had owned the place. Well what little did I know - just as I was sitting down to me lunch with a nice glass of wine and another tree fell over in the garden just like that. I rang up the gardener on my mobile between mouthfuls just to let him know of course and he was round there with a contractor and a chainsaw the very next day. Took two man days to get rid of it. Thats £300 quid saved this week and the boiler blew up twice over Xmas so that another £500 quid I saved.

Did I mention we had a great landlord. We are really well looked after and I would not change a thing. We treat him with respect and he does likewise.

I guess your argument that renting is better than buying must be true because trees are felled in high winds all the time :blink:

http://www.brickingit.com/

Ole! :lol:

It occurred to me tonight that I'm less worried about owning my own place than I have been for years.

I'll admit that if life is a series of peaks and troughs (to quote David Brent), then I'm in something of a trough right now - it's no fun being a lodger in a shared house when you're 38, especially when I think of how easily I could have bought a place in the mid-90s.

But never mind. You live and learn, and until I was 35 I had a fairly carefree time of it, alternating work with going backpacking round the world. It was a great way to spend my youth, and I'll cherish those memories for the rest of my life.

Anyway, the worry that's preoccupied me for a while is that of renting when I'm an old man; the idea that prices have spun out of my reach, even in my native NE England where terraced houses cost as little as £12,000 a decade ago.

I'm not worried about that now. I was looking at Middlesbrough prices on Rightmove today and, given what I earn and save in London, I could probably buy a reasonable three-bedroom house this year or next. For cash.

But I won't. Because in 2007, things are going the bears' way. There's a correction coming - and since the NE has been punching above its weight in terms of house prices these past few years, I suspect those moderately priced houses I just mentioned are overvalued.

My troubles - which, compared with those of most people on this planet, are pretty trivial anyway - will pass. I'll make sure of that. And to answer your question, no, I don't covet other people's houses. My horizons are a lot broader than that.

There are more things in heaven and earth than are ever dreamt of in a troll's petty imaginings.

Edited by Timelash
  • 1 month later...

not really because i given up work how does it feel that your paying me to live, get drunk take cheap profeesional courses ?

lol i have a leak guy came round to fix it.

Edited by crash2006