House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pobby

Interesting Phone Call

Had a phone call from a mate of mine.Told me that he shouldn`t have bought his house 2 years ago what with rates going up.Being single he has decided to down size and buy a flat.Now I just wondering how many others are now thinking about bailing out.What would the effect be if,Like friend,they are not selling to rent but just down sizing to avoid the ever increasing interest rates.

Will he actually save any money by buying a flat, when transaction costs are taken into account? Around here flats cost almost as much as terraced houses, even the flats where some builder has bought a terraced house and converted each floor into one flat.

What would the effect be if,Like friend,they are not selling to rent but just down sizing to avoid the ever increasing interest rates.

It still means a fall in demand for property - but my guess is that most people at that level would rent - there is so much cheap rental accommodation that, once they've been through what is going to become a nightmare of selling up, they will be glad to rent for a while until the dust settles. They will be patting themsleves on the back for having got out while they could.

He still wants to have a mortgage as if he goes renting he has a large exit penalty.In fact looking @ his area he will be able to buy more cheaply.He was complaining that a house he bought for 95k has just been sold for 410k!!!!!!!!!!!Startling