House Price Crash Forum

West Yorkshire (leeds & North Yorkshire)

Guest grumpy-old-man
Hello,

Just registered. I've lurked for ages, but I saw this on rightmove and had to share it...............

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-761...=1&tr_t=buy

Made me laugh in the extreme. I think they had the YTS lad write this one up.

Love the "Black Tarmac Finish" - NICE !

Anyway, I live in Wakefield, a bona-fide FTB. Wouldn't mind buying, but I'm unwilling to bankrupt myself each month for something that just isn't worth it.

For example - My mate sold a 1 bed back to back South Leeds, in 2003 for 45K. Now you're looking at 75K !!!!

Its utter madness and I refuse to join the party. Some people are still giving the old rubbish about "they only go up. you know" "My mother bought her house for £4K in 1979 - Look what its worth now".

But also I am finding more and more people who say its all gone on too long and it'll end in tears.

The property pages in the Wakefield Express are getting thicker, with more "New Price" and "No Chain".

The To-Let signs are still piling up around the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

So I really think we aren't far off now.

Especially when you can get this................Comanding views of the 1960s Market Hall, I think........

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-142...=6&tr_t=buy

or hows about this one................Lovely views of all the cr*p stuck on the wier near chantry bridge. I mean WHO would want to buy this one, down there, for this price?????? - Certainly not this muppet.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-151...=1&tr_t=buy

Ho-Hum!!! - I dispair, I tell ya!

hello lumsden,

I am also in Wakefield.

That parking space advert is fooking hilarious. :D:D

good for you for finding this site & not buying, you couldn't have timed it better for the start of the big crash.

We are renting at the moment & I can't believe how many of those chantry waters apartments flats are up for rent on rightmove, varying from £550 per month to £950 :o:blink:

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the welcome GOM.

I've read your posts in the past, you seem to be pretty clued up. (I've lurked for nearly two years, so I've seen quite a few)

Interestingly the front of the Express Property Supplement this week has a wonderful headline about the development on Ings Road (commanding views of homebase, I think)

"Flats are snapped up as city living gets popular" - Wakefield only a few years behind the times then.

"55 to 60 percent have been snapped up by investors keen to capitalise on interest in the rental market" - Thats where the smart money is you know.

"Initially one bedroom flats were for sale at £95K and two bedroom for £127K. but the cheapest still available is for £146K" - BARGAIN!!!! - where do I sign up?

I would scan this front page in but the scanner is banjoed at the moment.

I love the Express Property pages, its so bullish, you could stick horns on it and taunt it with a red sheet for entertainment.

I've read your posts in the past, you seem to be pretty clued up. (I've lurked for nearly two years, so I've seen quite a few)

Interestingly the front of the Express Property Supplement this week has a wonderful headline about the development on Ings Road (commanding views of homebase, I think)

"Flats are snapped up as city living gets popular" - Wakefield only a few years behind the times then.

"55 to 60 percent have been snapped up by investors keen to capitalise on interest in the rental market" - Thats where the smart money is you know.

"Initially one bedroom flats were for sale at £95K and two bedroom for £127K. but the cheapest still available is for £146K" - BARGAIN!!!! - where do I sign up?

I love the Express Property pages, its so bullish, you could stick horns on it and taunt it with a red sheet for entertainment.

I've tried to find it but the web site seems to have gone big brother mad :blink:

I was actually up a couple of weeks ago for the weekend and the thing that struck me is that the town seems to be really starting to struggle, all Wakefield used to be was "a good night out" but now even most of the pubs I went in seemed dead, We went to two between 10:30pm and 11:00pm and in both the barman was waiting for us to drink up before he shut early, then at the end of the night no queue for a taxi, straight to the front and home (I can remember queuing all the way up cheapside towards what is now wildcats during the 90's)

I'm wondering what the smoking ban will do to the local economy with most of Westgate and going up Northgate being bars, if more people decide the stay in and drink/smoke then the same thing could happen as happened to Kirkgate when he Ridings opened.

Guest grumpy-old-man

yes, we (mrs GOM) were laughing at that headline, especially as there is a "When will the housing bubble pop" article on page38 of the wakey property today, it quotes housepricecrash.co.uk ref Jake Brumby as well.

Guest grumpy-old-man
I've tried to find it but the web site seems to have gone big brother mad :blink:

I was actually up a couple of weeks ago for the weekend and the thing that struck me is that the town seems to be really starting to struggle, all Wakefield used to be was "a good night out" but now even most of the pubs I went in seemed dead, We went to two between 10:30pm and 11:00pm and in both the barman was waiting for us to drink up before he shut early, then at the end of the night no queue for a taxi, straight to the front and home (I can remember queuing all the way up cheapside towards what is now wildcats during the 90's)

I'm wondering what the smoking ban will do to the local economy with most of Westgate and going up Northgate being bars, if more people decide the stay in and drink/smoke then the same thing could happen as happened to Kirkgate when he Ridings opened.

I have never drank in Wakefield, but we have noticed that a few places have been closing down in the last year or so. Also there are tramps/homeless people now living in the old building on the corner where the theatre is, as you go past the station, never seen that in the 7 years we have been down here. It just looks really run down now.

The place & surrounding areas seem to have gone downhill as well.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/site/detail/1345507

I saw this on trouser property snake.

It's only went down 40 grand in just over a month but even at £135K the price seems a bit optimistic ;)

sweet Jesus! You could buy something equivalent in London for less than £175k! What a joker...

Looks good price,any idea what the original prices were when sold say 2 years ago.

Well the cheapest flats (by a long way) on Dock Street are

Sale Date Price Type Tenure New Build Map Address

1 14/08/2006 £130,000 Flat L No Map 1, Flat 21, Dock Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS10 1NB

2 13/11/2002 £107,500 Flat L Yes Map 1, Flat 21, Dock Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS10 1NA

so even if its the cheapest flat on the street we're back to 2002 levels - if its a more expensive one then they've fallen further than that!

Hold the front page...

What is this I see.......?

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=11811

Ok, so Sharp Lane, isn't anywhere near Leeds City Centre (If its the road from Leeds Rd to Miggie that I think it is, near Kev's chippy).

But this looks like it could be a new build, 2 bed and the price seems more reasonable (ish) than I've seen for a while.

I know there has been alot of construction around there.

Does anyone know anything about "My4walls" ?

It seems to be linked with some government assisted purchase scheme, Theres gotta be an almighty catch somewhere?

Hold the front page...

What is this I see.......?

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=11811

Ok, so Sharp Lane, isn't anywhere near Leeds City Centre (If its the road from Leeds Rd to Miggie that I think it is, near Kev's chippy).

But this looks like it could be a new build, 2 bed and the price seems more reasonable (ish) than I've seen for a while.

I know there has been alot of construction around there.

Does anyone know anything about "My4walls" ?

It seems to be linked with some government assisted purchase scheme, Theres gotta be an almighty catch somewhere?

Well clearly they are not the brightest bunch on the block - its like a sketch from Monty Python -

My4walls offers three different schemes for low-cost home ownership. They are designed to help people in different situations find lasting and affordable ways of entering South and West Yorkshire’s property market.

They are:

Open Market

Social Homebuy

New Build

First Time Buyer Initative

Doesn't that look like 4 schemes to you? Our main weapon is fear - fear and surprise . . . . Our two main weapons are . . . .

Have a look at http://www.my4walls.org.uk/housing/about-t...15eb20ed94bdd2a

Skipton: A tourist honey pot, with its Castle, canal marina and five day street market, home to Skipton Building Society, a massive employer, an area of low unemployment and stunning scenery, know as the "Gateway to the Yorkshire Dales" Its 52 minutes by train to Leeds, the UK's biggest financial district outside of London. And 40 minutes from Leeds Bradford International Airport, in other words it's a desirable place to live.

12 months ago [ May /July] there were 4 houses for sale in view of where I'm renting. They are in an area in high demand by ex professional/ middle class downsizers. Slap bang in the middle of town down by the picturesque canal side. Town centre 2 min walk, bus station 3 min walk, supermarket 3 min walk, railway station 5 min walk. You could say prime position for loaded aging boomers.

First on market 2 bed town house on @ 245K, within weeks followed by next on market another same type 2 bed town house on @ 250K, followed by a 4 bed [converted garage] BTL town house @ 250K [could have been 260K not sure] then next door to it a 3 bed town house @ 239K.

12 months on: 2 bed @245K went in a couple of months for 247.5K to a targeted buyer. The other 2 bed @ 250K [bought 6 months earlier for 240K] has 12 months on gone to rent just recently after failing to sell. The 3 bed house eventually sold for asking @ 239K Nov 06. The 4 bed @ 250/60 was reduced to 241K but still no interest, tenants left and still fails to sell. The for sale signs is removed and is advertised for rent again. Been empty a while then got a tenant the other week on 6 month let [seller who's next place not quite ready] Just noticed it is back on the market again [may have been on a while as sign is not in my line of sight this time], reduced to 229.95K.

Now when house's like these start to stick in Skipton you know the market in the round is in trouble.

Edit: I omitted to point out the obvious, but here it is for those who may not have cottoned on. After nine months the 3 bed sold for 239K last November is now in negative equity. If you consider its 4 bed next door neighbour is now being offered [and spurned] @ 229.95K ........

Edited by Catch22

The houses in Skipton are nasty houses in poor location, might be next to the canal but also next to a main road, and what is going to be a huge building site for the next 4 years. No one will buy those cos they are crap houses ! I have loads of examples of how the market is moving in Skipton. Agreed, it is not moving as fats as it was, but those houses are n a good example as they are crap houses in a crap location.

The houses in Skipton are nasty houses in poor location, might be next to the canal but also next to a main road, and what is going to be a huge building site for the next 4 years. No one will buy those cos they are crap houses ! I have loads of examples of how the market is moving in Skipton. Agreed, it is not moving as fats as it was, but those houses are n a good example as they are crap houses in a crap location.

I personally would not touch those fronting onto the main road, for obvious reasons. But to call the houses on that development crap houses, makes me question you judgement. I'm an apprentice trained trades man who cut his teeth on building sites, and I know a crap built house when I see one. You state nobody will buy those houses because they are crap, well 2 bed crap as you put it was selling @247.5K last year. The MD of Novo homes, the company who are developing the adjacent Dewhirsts Mill complex, who also developed Bradley Mill,and Carlton Mill, has a house down there. Obviously a multi millionaire who likes to live in a "crap area" out of choice. But it sounds like you are a fully wired in sort a guy :rolleyes:

Edited by Catch22
no idea

If you look at my previous quote is shows you

16/06/2006 £110,999 Flat L Yes Map Ellis Court, 48 Apartment, Textile Street, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, WF13 2EX

So thats down £18K in 13 months - ummm - I smell a bloodbath brewing

SB

If you look at my previous quote is shows you

16/06/2006 £110,999 Flat L Yes Map Ellis Court, 48 Apartment, Textile Street, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, WF13 2EX

So thats down £18K in 13 months - ummm - I smell a bloodbath brewing

SB

is that what the vendor paid for it, or just the first asking price when the vendor put it on the market?