House Price Crash Forum

West Yorkshire (leeds & North Yorkshire)

Guest daddy bull

HOLA441
oh yes........and several multi-lane carriageways, the motoring equivalent of Clapham junction!

And just between Little London and Lovell Park (and HBOS). :huh:

Not to mention the fact that they were reported as falling apart...

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Is there any evidence of a downturn in two bedroom flats in the citycentre or on the outskirts of the city centre?

Are there many still being built and awaiting the market. How many and what are the completion dates?

Have Flats & family homes (3/4 bedroom houses) held their prices/risen much since 2005?

Has there been a slow down in turnover or increasing FOR SALE signs?

Answers and other thoughts (anecdotal evidence) most welcomed.

DB

You may not have to wait too long for a downturn. When it happens the BTL parasites will be s***ing themselves. They will be falling over each other as they rush to the estate agents to put "their" properties (part paid for with other people's money) on the market.

Just be patient. It WILL happen.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
what do people think of the market in Armley?

Do you still think it has the potential to increase?

it's grown beyond my wildest expectations last 3 years, really didn't expect that. Material improvements like the nice Tesco Metro and Wilko's (honestly you should have seen what it was like before...), and also location of student facilities to the area suggest room for growth. **BUT** things like this have been getting cited for 20-odd years about Armley improving, and apart from the last 3 years (the only time in its history that Leeds has taken part in a housing boom) it's never come to fruition. I'm a bear, so take what I say any way you will, but I don't know of any fundamental reason why it should change its long-term trend, except with an ongoing strong economy for the North as a whole, so also depends on how much you buy into the new labour miracle economy. This would suggest to me that it will see a strong reaction (aka falls) to trend when the rest of the market corrects, but that really is my own opinion!

HOLA446
Drove through Leeds over the weekend on the way to York - what a dump! - all the problems of a big city with none of the benefits

I love living in Leeds, and get stressed by all the posh gits in York, 'niceness', lack of working class soul etc. I mean, the McDonalds in York station closes at 9 at night, it's not what you call living. Not exactly a gig capital, smaller pokier shops, less of a buzz. Each to his own, eh.

If I worked in York I'd seriously consider living in Leeds and commuting.

HOLA447
Guest Bart of Darkness
Drove through Leeds over the weekend on the way to York - what a dump! - all the problems of a big city with none of the benefits

Is Leeds really that bad?

I love living in Leeds, and get stressed by all the posh gits in York, 'niceness', lack of working class soul etc. I mean, the McDonalds in York station closes at 9 at night, it's not what you call living. Not exactly a gig capital, smaller pokier shops, less of a buzz. Each to his own, eh.

If I worked in York I'd seriously consider living in Leeds and commuting.

You've just sold me on a move to York.

HOLA448

IWS - were you lost? You don't drive through Leeds to get to York from Manchester.

Our benign and munificient leaders built a road over the Pennines (especially so the disaffected could escape Manchester I heard :lol: ). It gently glides through the peaceful sylvan valleys of upper West Yorkshire and then dumps you into the swamp land in the Vale of York. Gets no nearer than my house to Leeds (about 6 miles).

West Yorkshire - the sunny side of the Pennines :D

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Bart of Darkness
West Yorkshire - the land that time forgot :P

Naaah, that's Barnsley. Over there, "Walking with Cavemen" was listed under "Current Affairs" in the local TV listings.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Eddisons auction at LUFC on 10th May has Lot No. 130, Flat 1, Aspect 14, Elmwood Lane, Leeds up as follows;

Guide Price: £110000+

Category: Vacant Residential

Full Address:

Flat 1, Aspect 14, Elmwood Lane, United Kingdom, LS2 8WE

Category Heading:

Vacant modern style 2 bedroom apartment in purpose built block

Description:

Situated

Off Clay Pit Lane close to the junction with the Inner ring Road A58(M) in the city centre.

Ground Floor

Communal entrance hall, Private hall, bathroom, open plan living area with kitchen having built in appliances, two bedrooms, en suite shower room to one bedroom.

Outside

Communal grounds.

Note

* Double glazing

* We are informed that the flat was formerly let at £600 p.c.m.

* A service charge is payable.

Tenure

Leasehold for a term of 999 years from 1.1.2003 @ £150pa

Net House prices says....£201,500 on 23rd November 2003 :o:o:o

http://www.eddisons.com/pages/auctioncatal...n=16&Page=9

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...&curPage=15

Update, with a reserve of only £115k this flat failed to sell yesterday.

http://www.eddisons.com/pages/home_page/pr...n=16&Page=9

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Wow, that looks like one of the better developments as well, if all these new builds in Leeds are going to be worth less than £100k each there is going to be carnage.

I got my hair cut in Leeds on Saturday. My barber was thinking about buying a house for his stepdaughter (well, getting the student sharers to pay the mortgage... erm, most of the mortgage - when I pressed him) and when I asked him why he thought prices would keep going up he stuttered something about Euros and being more like Europe (yeah, I know)... my point being that even this gent quite quickly admitted that the flats were horrendously over-valued. I suspect the innercity flat crash (outside of London at least) has already got well on the way.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Hello,

Just registered. I've lurked for ages, but I saw this on rightmove and had to share it...............

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-761...=1&tr_t=buy

Made me laugh in the extreme. I think they had the YTS lad write this one up.

Love the "Black Tarmac Finish" - NICE !

Anyway, I live in Wakefield, a bona-fide FTB. Wouldn't mind buying, but I'm unwilling to bankrupt myself each month for something that just isn't worth it.

For example - My mate sold a 1 bed back to back South Leeds, in 2003 for 45K. Now you're looking at 75K !!!!

Its utter madness and I refuse to join the party. Some people are still giving the old rubbish about "they only go up. you know" "My mother bought her house for £4K in 1979 - Look what its worth now".

But also I am finding more and more people who say its all gone on too long and it'll end in tears.

The property pages in the Wakefield Express are getting thicker, with more "New Price" and "No Chain".

The To-Let signs are still piling up around the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

So I really think we aren't far off now.

Especially when you can get this................Comanding views of the 1960s Market Hall, I think........

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-142...=6&tr_t=buy

or hows about this one................Lovely views of all the cr*p stuck on the wier near chantry bridge. I mean WHO would want to buy this one, down there, for this price?????? - Certainly not this muppet.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-151...=1&tr_t=buy

Ho-Hum!!! - I dispair, I tell ya!

HOLA4418
Hello,

Just registered. I've lurked for ages, but I saw this on rightmove and had to share it...............

:lol: It's a work of genius!!!

I particularly like the "White Numerals" listed as a "FEATURE"!!!!, but the best has got to be;

"Viewing Highly Recommended"!!!!??? WTF???

(A small square of tarmac costing £25 grand with it's main features being two stripes and a number painted on it, can't possibly be appreciated by just a photograph. You really need to be there otherwise you just won't enjoy the stench of urine???)

HOLA4419
Wow, that looks like one of the better developments as well, if all these new builds in Leeds are going to be worth less than £100k each there is going to be carnage.

this is one of the ones that people with local knowledge would expect to be the worst - may look like a posh development, but it's one of the developments just between the city centre and Little London, which is considered to be a very very rough area.

I'm still being bearish especially re: 'up and coming areas', and go as far as saying, for flats in this locale in leeds, sub-50k might be a top price I'd feel was fair for them, similar to what you'd think any basic two bed property would be in a very very underprivileged area

HOLA4420
Hello,

Anyway, I live in Wakefield, a bona-fide FTB. Wouldn't mind buying, but I'm unwilling to bankrupt myself each month for something that just isn't worth it.

For example - My mate sold a 1 bed back to back South Leeds, in 2003 for 45K. Now you're looking at 75K !!!!

Its utter madness and I refuse to join the party. Some people are still giving the old rubbish about "they only go up. you know" "My mother bought her house for £4K in 1979 - Look what its worth now".

But also I am finding more and more people who say its all gone on too long and it'll end in tears.

The property pages in the Wakefield Express are getting thicker, with more "New Price" and "No Chain".

The To-Let signs are still piling up around the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

So I really think we aren't far off now.

Especially when you can get this................Comanding views of the 1960s Market Hall, I think........

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-142...=6&tr_t=buy

or hows about this one................Lovely views of all the cr*p stuck on the wier near chantry bridge. I mean WHO would want to buy this one, down there, for this price?????? - Certainly not this muppet.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-151...=1&tr_t=buy

Ho-Hum!!! - I dispair, I tell ya!

I'm looking to buy in Wakefield too, Someone told me there are only 5 people living in the riverside development and looking on rightmove it seems the company which built the flats has had to rent them out themselves.

Nothing seems to be shifting currently, I know three people with houses up, none of them have had any viewings and one has just reduced by £15k

HOLA4421
I'm looking to buy in Wakefield too, Someone told me there are only 5 people living in the riverside development and looking on rightmove it seems the company which built the flats has had to rent them out themselves.

Nothing seems to be shifting currently, I know three people with houses up, none of them have had any viewings and one has just reduced by £15k

I haven't been down to Thornes to see these new developments, they seem about as useful as t1ts on a bull to me.

Its hardly Chelsea Harbour now is it?

I'm pretty much priced out of Shakey Wakey.

The prices of bog standard terraces one or two beds, are stupid in this town, between 90 - 110K. Even the ones in the less salubrious parts of "the merrie city". (In truth, are there any salubrious parts......?)

When its 120K for an ex-council semi in the shimmering golden eden that is Lupset, its time to have a serious look at what the flipping blime is going on.

I suppose its because its a mid size dormitory town, good transport links to peoples workplaces (the M1 & M62 cross just north of it). Good -ish schools, if you count the 3 private ones (QEGS, Silcoates, WGHS) - Personally I went to one of the sprawling comprehensives, but got to Uni in South Wales and then came back (D'oh!!!!)

I see in the paper that the bigwigs of the city are up in arms again as the Lonely Planet Guide to Great Britain has left Wakey out (AGAIN!!!)

It was the same story when the last edition was published too. ("But we have a cathedral, Pugnes Boating lake & the Henry Moore Sculpture park" - Well Whoopy Sh1t!, thats gonna flood the place with folks blowing their tourist wads innit)

On an ancedodal point, last year my mate sold his terrace in Stanley, 3 beds inc. the dorma, cellar, bit of a garden, it was on for 129K, it sat there for 6 months, minimal viewings, then got a sale for the asking price, after he kicked Beaumonts EA into touch.

It seems that most places are sticking for a few months and then go. Others just sit there and moulder (Asking price too high?) - And a VERY few places go straight away - More money than sense methinks.

Also places I have seen up for sale perhaps a couple of years ago, seem to be coming back on the market again.

Whether these were BTLs that weren't coughing up the golden eggs that all the tinpot property tycoons expected, or are up again for other reasons I dunno.

But the crowning turd in the waterpipe has to be this.......... I have the dubious pleasure in living in the soon to be abolished constituancy of MR ED BALLS !. (I wouldn't buy a used car from the man) - Needless to say he won't be securing my vote in the next GE.

He's one of the guilty men in my book, El Gordo's economic monkeyboy, the architect of HPI. What does a privately educated, Oxbridge & Harvard graduate from Norfolk have to say about a very working class/lower middle set of post industrial Yorkshire pit villages?........Not much in my book. Unless its because the last MP was Bill O'Brien an ex-miner with a good majority and the place has only elected Labour MPs since 1906 ??.

Also its strange that the sitting Lab MP for Morley, (this will be the new merged constituancy) - Suddenly stepped aside so the galant ED could fight for this place instead of him.

I think Mr BALLS will be in cabinet before not too long and will be hanging his monogrammed towling robe on the back of the bathroom door of Number 11 shortly after that.

(On second thoughts he better make it a Kevlar robe and a tin hat, cos he's the lucky chap whose gonna have to spin his way out of the mess that the Brownster is leaving when he moves next door)

Anyway, Tirade over..............

HOLA4422

Hi All

I have been looking at prices around the north of Leeds for the last year or so in any detail, and have followed them loosely off and on for the past couple of years.

It appears property is taking a lot longer to sell and there are a number of (allbeit small) reductions around where I live. I have certainly noticed a distinct fall in the number of properties that have SSTC and under offer on right move.

The resale prices of "luxury flats" outside of the city centre are also noticably suffering - not just the city centre.

Cheers

WR

HOLA4423

Has anyone seen the Huge 'New Forest Village' development in Middleton, South Leeds. Five big developers all asking £220k + for three story three bed towns. This huge development will have a link road to the acre road estate and the much troubled Heritage Village, hardly any of the properties have sold and builders offfering huge incentives on completed houses....surely no one is so stupid as to pay over 200K to live on Acre Road in Miggie ?

HOLA4424
Has anyone seen the Huge 'New Forest Village' development in Middleton, South Leeds. Five big developers all asking £220k + for three story three bed towns. This huge development will have a link road to the acre road estate and the much troubled Heritage Village, hardly any of the properties have sold and builders offfering huge incentives on completed houses....surely no one is so stupid as to pay over 200K to live on Acre Road in Miggie ?

middletons not the nicest area by any stretch - 220k? my word, that's almost comical...!

I'd have thought significantly sub-100k would be more optimistic??

HOLA4425

Had a bit of a stroll down the river Aire tonight, walking back along East Street, Bow Street and Marsh Lane. Although I drive through this area on a regular basis, my walk enabled me to fully take in the number of apartments being built.

Extrapolating a sign I saw for a proposed 200 apartment development. I would say, in this one small area of Leeds, there must be at least another thousand under construction.

Also noted that a lot of the apartments being constructed on Bow Street have had their windows put through (there is a playground, some fields and existing council properties over the road).

Anyway, had a few beers making my way back via “he-re” letting/estate agents at Leeds Bridge House. Looking through their window, a couple of properties caught my eye:

No 110 Magellan House: now for sale at £185k, originally sold 22/08/03 for £177.5k

…and

No 129 Magellan House: now for sale at £195k, originally sold 22/08/03 for £200k and again on 30/07/04 for £211k.