House Price Crash Forum

West Yorkshire (leeds & North Yorkshire)

Guest daddy bull

Agreed on Pudsey. Had a look around there too and came to a similar conclusion. Effectively you're surrounded by heavy traffic. But it has something which looks more like a High St than Bramley and almost feels like a little market town.

On both, you really have to know the location very well indeed to avoid a bad street. And bear in mind that some streets around there can turn bad over time. That essentially happened to us as BTL at the lower end of the market moved in to dominate the west leeds street we lived in. Ended up with lots of problem families/couples moving in over the space of five years. I'd be very careful about any back to backs, especially those without gardens as they are prime BTL targets. Older council housing could certainly be a good deal - providing you avoid the concrete ones.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know Pudsey.

Last year I was sat in a pub in Whitby when in walks Mr + Mrs late 40s from Pudsey.

'Oh, our cleaners let us don again so we have come over for a weekend to handle change over at our holiday let. We could not get anywhere close so we've took a taxi in from Hinderwell (I think).'

She then got more and more p1ssed and tried to pick up other men. He just stood there let some hen picked dork.

I rest my case.

Agreed on Pudsey. Had a look around there too and came to a similar conclusion. Effectively you're surrounded by heavy traffic. But it has something which looks more like a High St than Bramley and almost feels like a little market town.

On both, you really have to know the location very well indeed to avoid a bad street. And bear in mind that some streets around there can turn bad over time. That essentially happened to us as BTL at the lower end of the market moved in to dominate the west leeds street we lived in. Ended up with lots of problem families/couples moving in over the space of five years. I'd be very careful about any back to backs, especially those without gardens as they are prime BTL targets. Older council housing could certainly be a good deal - providing you avoid the concrete ones.

+1 to all this

The Bramley centre has an unusual charm, if you squint. But providing you have a car you can get to the kirkstall shopping areas (new development opening this month) or Pudsey, Horsforth or even armley if you like a working class pub crawl with your shopping...

Yeah, Bramley centre and even Armley town st have a kind of charm. I was a regular visitor to both when I lived near those parts. There's a kind of unremitting grimness and lack of pretentiousness to them both which has it's own attraction. Plus it was quite cheap to shop there and populated by characters out of a Mike Leigh film. Missus and I still laugh about the time we passed two old ladies who on examining a pack of bog rolls observed "One pand? Not baaaad!". And the corner shop which stocked Diet **** in its refridgerated section according to the shelf price label. Never mind the huge and ancient chap who regaled us with wrestling champion tales in Fultons which actually turned out to be true.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Bramley centre and even Armley town st have a kind of charm. I was a regular visitor to both when I lived near those parts. There's a kind of unremitting grimness and lack of pretentiousness to them both which has it's own attraction. Plus it was quite cheap to shop there and populated by characters out of a Mike Leigh film. Missus and I still laugh about the time we passed two old ladies who on examining a pack of bog rolls observed "One pand? Not baaaad!". And the corner shop which stocked Diet **** in its refridgerated section according to the shelf price label. Never mind the huge and ancient chap who regaled us with wrestling champion tales in Fultons which actually turned out to be true.

The butcher in the Bramley centre is the kind of butcher middle class areas can only dream of. None of this organic free range malarkey. Decent quality meat, nevertheless,always offering a deal that's competitive with the supermarket, saves you time with the kids as can pop in super quick and ask them what's good value today for dinner, far quicker than having to fight your way through the supermarket queues just for some fresh meat.

Back on topic. Apparently nothing's shifting at anything I look at in the nicer streets of Bramley. 3 and 4 bed doer uppers just stuck at 90k or so. I would guess that over the long wave of this horrendous housing bubble deflation well be seeing reasonable houses for small multiple of 10k in years to come. By 2030. Which is too long for me but all the same.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

My mum and her partner have been trying to sell a house up in Woodlesford. I am in London and don't know much about the market in this area.

I have been saying that if is isn't selling then the price isn't right. Anyone know what the market is like in this area? I think it is on for £350k at the moment. They have reduced it a bit.

14 hours ago, Sawitcoming said:

Hi,

My mum and her partner have been trying to sell a house up in Woodlesford. I am in London and don't know much about the market in this area.

I have been saying that if is isn't selling then the price isn't right. Anyone know what the market is like in this area? I think it is on for £350k at the moment. They have reduced it a bit.

I cannot comment on that region but North Yorks is suffering from MMR - 4x househld income comes to about 120K tops.

Any house on for more than 200k struggles to sell.

The incoes are just not their to support house prices. Most houses are bought by people aged 25-55.

Have a look at houseprices.io for an idea of what price they are clearing at.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 28/07/2017 at 11:42, Si1 said:

Non quantitavely, local houses in Bramley/west Leeds were getting stuck and reductions in the spring and are now going sstc at middling prices.

There's been a bit of a price bounce in Bramley it seems, with some active kite flying going on too:

91 Westover road - https://www.manningstainton.co.uk/properties/11687131/sales/westover-road-leeds-west-yorkshire-ls13/SPR182018

Aston place - https://www.manningstainton.co.uk/properties/11709143/sales/aston-place-leeds-west-yorkshire-ls13/PUD180323

• 9 months later...
18 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Opinions on this BTLer please:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69667144.html

(Don't actually know how much it sold for)

Now for rent:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-82575215.html

31/10/2017 £138,000 16 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
17/07/2015 £113,000 4 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
18/10/2013 £88,500 28 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
15/04/2011 £140,000 18 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
29/10/2010 £113,000 19 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
21/05/2007 £114,995 12 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
27/10/2006 £136,500 16 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
10/04/2002 £53,500 10 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
24/11/2000 £43,995 12 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
24/11/2000 £40,000 12 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
10/12/1999 £58,500 18 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
10/01/1997 £42,600 10 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF

10 minutes ago, spyguy said:
31/10/2017 £138,000 16 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
17/07/2015 £113,000 4 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
18/10/2013 £88,500 28 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
15/04/2011 £140,000 18 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
29/10/2010 £113,000 19 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
21/05/2007 £114,995 12 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
27/10/2006 £136,500 16 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
10/04/2002 £53,500 10 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
24/11/2000 £43,995 12 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
24/11/2000 £40,000 12 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
10/12/1999 £58,500 18 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF
10/01/1997 £42,600 10 Bellmount Place, Leeds, LS13 2NF

It's not in that list because it sold in the last 6 months and has been put straight up to let.

17 hours ago, Si1 said:

It's not in that list because it sold in the last 6 months and has been put straight up to let.

Not sure.

LR is showing some sales in LS13 for April.

Should know for sure in ~2 months time.

Its possible that it did not sell and was put up for rental.

37 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Not sure.

LR is showing some sales in LS13 for April.

Should know for sure in ~2 months time.

Its possible that it did not sell and was put up for rental.

Ah 'no longer on the market'. That's what it says, not sstc, good point....

4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Ah 'no longer on the market'. That's what it says, not sstc, good point....

Just done a quick check on rental prices - Id be clueless to what prices in Bramley are.

Guess whats the sponsored search result ?????

https://www.home.co.uk/for_rent/results.htm?long=1.63531&lat=53.8108&location=ls13&TOWN_SEARCH=1&MAP_SEARCH=&high=&low=&pcmpw=m&minbeds=&maxbeds=&house=true&flat=true&room=true&radius=1&sort=PRICE_DESC&found_since=&loose=1&showmap=0

55 houses, prices everywhere.

• 2 months later...
On 30/08/2019 at 18:42, Si1 said:

One of my Dads mates family 'own a lot of property in Morley'

Poor ffers.

Something seems to be going very wrong in Leeds exurbs.

Hammering being had.

• 2 months later...
On 01/09/2019 at 19:01, spyguy said:

One of my Dads mates family 'own a lot of property in Morley'

Poor ffers.

Something seems to be going very wrong in Leeds exurbs.

Hammering being had.

I know people finding it very easy to sell terraced houses in Bramley currently, making big gains on last 5 years (40% after subtracting improvements)

31 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I know people finding it very easy to sell terraced houses in Bramley currently, making big gains on last 5 years (40% after subtracting improvements)

Dunno.

Home.co.uk points to ls13 being 'typically northern'- big increase from 02 to 08, falls, then same nominal prices still at 02ish plus big fall off of transactions.

I dont get the Leeds exurbs. They all look the same to be, horrendous roads.

7 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Dunno.

Home.co.uk points to ls13 being 'typically northern'- big increase from 02 to 08, falls, then same nominal prices still at 02ish plus big fall off of transactions.

I dont get the Leeds exurbs. They all look the same to be, horrendous roads.

Look at terraced houses, orange. I know people actually making those gains, this is not noise.

Screenshot_20191102-092843.jpg

Edited by Si1

Armley

Look at terraced and flats, orange and blue

Notice the 20k increase is reflected in price but not percentage by 20k increase in semis, implying the market may be getting pushed from the bottom up - ie by people getting in with the cheapest property they can get, BTL.

Screenshot_20191102-093315.jpg