House Price Crash Forum

West Yorkshire (leeds & North Yorkshire)

We are an Estate Agency based in Chapel Allerton, North Leeds and have a small, knowledgeable and friendly team.

We cover the whole of Leeds for both Sales and Lettings....

Why not give us a try?

err - website sales and lettings page doesnt work, but the one detailing your new recruit (George the Spaniel) does.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know! Nightmare.... I apologise about this, the web team are sorting it out as we speak!

You can find us on Rightmove though...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/estate-agents/a...brandName%3Dsto

I must admit, I have has a quick sneak around this website for the last 20 minutes. It certainly is fab!

Leeds auction result:

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/LotDe...amp;S=C&O=A

3 Wood Moor Court, Sandmoor Avenue, West Yorkshire LS17 7DR

Lot 426, Auction 17th and 19th February 2009, Guide Price £145,000 - £165,000, Result £180,500

From Land Registry, originally sold for £360k on 29/06/07.

Sox

We now have this property to let!

We are an Estate Agency based in Chapel Allerton, North Leeds and have a small, knowledgeable and friendly team.

We cover the whole of Leeds for both Sales and Lettings....

Why not give us a try?

ok you are either young and innocent or have leather balls to make this post on this website.

But tell us , no BS , what its really like in Leeds? Whats the student effect? Give us some real facts, not VI , and maybe we'll give you a try when the time comes

ok you are either young and innocent or have leather balls to make this post on this website.

But tell us , no BS , what its really like in Leeds? Whats the student effect? Give us some real facts, not VI , and maybe we'll give you a try when the time comes

To be quite honest, I have found from past experience that people ask an estate agents opinion to find out the truth, not any made up jargon which is often the case. As a company director, I have tried to lose the 'BS' and be quite genuine with the general public which is generally helping us to attain a decent reputation in our area. In truth, the sales market is obviously not as it was previously, the buyers are still all there in their flocks and offers are still being put forward, it is just a great shame about the financial aspect. Some decent offers are being declined by surveyors of lenders and in reality, many FTB's can just not afford to purchase a property on a 25% mortgage. Until lenders get their acts together and start lending again, the lettings option will remain favorable to the younger market where they can secure a decent property on a flexible basis. The sales market has started to pick up again (most probably as we are now entering the summer period) but once again this is coming at a price... Buyers are hearing and seeing what is conveyed in the media and generally place initial offers well under asking prices which genuine sellers are now beginning to consider. Investors are generally 'nervous' to spend in the current climate and once again need to be tempted by high returns to part with their money. In summary, it is fair to say that the wildly used term 'market value' is now attaining a set level making it easier for a purchaser to know where they stand when offering and a vendor to know which price to market the property at. Generally there has been a lift in the sales market and the general public are now once again looking at the residential market as a 'sound investment.

In terms of the rental market, again in truth prices have started to slightly fall. This is especially the case in the 'high end' rental properties in our area. If landlords are willing to accept this slight dip in the rental market and slightly reduce prices, properties still let quickly. To cut a long story short, as I am sure you are all probably aware, with so many rental properties available due to people unable to sell at the price they want, the rental market is flooded and tenants can afford to be picky and offer lower amounts on asking prices. The tenant demand is still as high as ever but competition is at its greatest in terms of presentation, popularity and of course price.

Does this answer your question?

To be quite honest, I have found from past experience that people ask an estate agents opinion to find out the truth, not any made up jargon which is often the case. As a company director, I have tried to lose the 'BS' and be quite genuine with the general public which is generally helping us to attain a decent reputation in our area. In truth, the sales market is obviously not as it was previously, the buyers are still all there in their flocks and offers are still being put forward, it is just a great shame about the financial aspect. Some decent offers are being declined by surveyors of lenders and in reality, many FTB's can just not afford to purchase a property on a 25% mortgage. Until lenders get their acts together and start lending again, the lettings option will remain favorable to the younger market where they can secure a decent property on a flexible basis. The sales market has started to pick up again (most probably as we are now entering the summer period) but once again this is coming at a price... Buyers are hearing and seeing what is conveyed in the media and generally place initial offers well under asking prices which genuine sellers are now beginning to consider. Investors are generally 'nervous' to spend in the current climate and once again need to be tempted by high returns to part with their money. In summary, it is fair to say that the wildly used term 'market value' is now attaining a set level making it easier for a purchaser to know where they stand when offering and a vendor to know which price to market the property at. Generally there has been a lift in the sales market and the general public are now once again looking at the residential market as a 'sound investment.

In terms of the rental market, again in truth prices have started to slightly fall. This is especially the case in the 'high end' rental properties in our area. If landlords are willing to accept this slight dip in the rental market and slightly reduce prices, properties still let quickly. To cut a long story short, as I am sure you are all probably aware, with so many rental properties available due to people unable to sell at the price they want, the rental market is flooded and tenants can afford to be picky and offer lower amounts on asking prices. The tenant demand is still as high as ever but competition is at its greatest in terms of presentation, popularity and of course price.

Fair reply. As an EA you will of course look on the positive side. I am thinking of investing in student/HMO properties but the yields still don't stack up. If I buy at £100k, I need approaching £1000/month to make the investment/hassle worthwhile. Nowhere near there yet. In fact rents seem to be crashing faster than property. The market is corrupted atm by insecurity and gov. meddling so staying on sidelines. Keep on posting - your insight is valuable.

Fair reply. As an EA you will of course look on the positive side. I am thinking of investing in student/HMO properties but the yields still don't stack up. If I buy at £100k, I need approaching £1000/month to make the investment/hassle worthwhile. Nowhere near there yet. In fact rents seem to be crashing faster than property. The market is corrupted atm by insecurity and gov. meddling so staying on sidelines. Keep on posting - your insight is valuable.

Speaking to various investors, a 'thought out puchase' of 4-5 bed properties close to student areas to do on a 'room-to-room' houseshare basis seems to be stacking. The best way to condict these is one a peak basis, one year contracts starting each July.... Just a thought for you.

On the negative side, they take up a lot of management and if one tenant needs to leave mid tenancy it can leave you with big problems.

:lol::lol::lol:

Re: decent offers, I made a very decent offer on Ferrari 612, shame a bank refused me a 110% loan. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

this is verbose rubbish and does not square at all with my experience of the leeds property market. Private lettings are currently cheaper than housing association lettings - dropping like a stone

houses are sticking and not selling, and tho the NHS head office and public sector lackeys are yet to feel pain, those who work for Bradford and bingley and HBOS and associated companies, I sh*t you not, are REALLY feeling it.

Leeds property markt heading south fast. oh dear.

i mean, comeon, what on earth does this mean?:

In summary, it is fair to say that the wildly used term 'market value' is now attaining a set level making it easier for a purchaser to know where they stand when offering and a vendor to know which price to market the property at.

ridiculous...

It's been on the market for ages!

This is a reasonable deal for anyone that's looking...

here....

bring on the arguments...

Not bad - at the moment, but probaby further to fall. Even if it doesn't, the service charge will get you.

Golden rule IMO don't buy in city centre unless includes parking, so its worth considering if you must buy.

Whats rental on these?. £750pm?

Not bad - at the moment, but probaby further to fall. Even if it doesn't, the service charge will get you.

Golden rule IMO don't buy in city centre unless includes parking, so its worth considering if you must buy.

Whats rental on these?. £750pm?

Its a repo. The tape over the cistern gives it away.

£750pcm seems about right.

Its a repo. The tape over the cistern gives it away.

£750pcm seems about right.

If you take out IO for £110k at 6%, thats about £6.5k interest pa

Add £1k service charge.

Rent at £750 pm is £9k which leaves £1.5k for voids, maintenance, agents fees, hassle and risk

Worth It?

If you take out IO for £110k at 6%, thats about £6.5k interest pa

Add £1k service charge.

Rent at £750 pm is £9k which leaves £1.5k for voids, maintenance, agents fees, hassle and risk

Worth It?

Maybe for a modern 2 bed house in a nice area, but a block that will need millions spending in 40 years?

No.

Maybe for a modern 2 bed house in a nice area, but a block that will need millions spending in 40 years?

No.

I tend to agree with your comment.

Surely, in time, this type of city centre development will suffer from a gradual downward spiral of voids, failure to cover service costs/repairs and so on leading to severe delapidation and final abandonment.

As you say, in 40/50 years time, how are the remaining leaseholders going to raise the funds to pay for what could be a colossal repair bill on the remnants of a 99 year lease?

I remember, in my home town, seeing multi-story blocks of flats being built when I was five years old only to see them demolished by the time I reached 40.

Sox

Edited by Bootsox
I tend to agree with your comment.

Surely, in time, this type of city centre development will suffer from a gradual downward spiral of voids, failure to cover service costs/repairs and so on leading to severe delapidation and final abandonment.

As you say, in 40/50 years time, how are the remaining leaseholders going to raise the funds to pay for what could be a colossal repair bill on the remnants of a 99 year lease?

I remember, in my home town, seeing multi-story blocks of flats being built when I was five years old only to see them demolished by the time I reached 40.

Sox

K2 is the best example. I think that had a fortune spent on it not so long ago.

If you take out IO for �110k at 6%, thats about �6.5k interest pa

Add �1k service charge.

Rent at �750 pm is �9k which leaves �1.5k for voids, maintenance, agents fees, hassle and risk

Worth It?

That's cheap with a capital C!

Very close to city square and station...

Oh, and imagine it's about £100 a month for service charge, but what people often forget is that that includes buildings insurance and maintenance. If you had a freehold I imagine you would spend this in drainpipes, fences, painting etc

hark...was that a touch of optimism on these boards...

Possibly, but not for long I'm afraid:

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/LotDe...amp;S=C&O=A

Leeds 10 Wood Moor Court, Sandmoor Avenue, West Yorkshire LS17 7DR

A Leasehold Self-Contained Purpose Built Second Floor Flat

BY ORDER OF L BROOKS MRICS AND A PACKMAN MRICS OF ALLSOP LLP ACTING AS JOINT FIXED CHARGE RECEIVERS

Lot 405 Auction 2nd and 3rd June 2009

Guide Price £145,000 - £165,000

Result £169,000

From Land Registry:

Originally sold 29/06/07 for £300,000