House Price Crash Forum

West Yorkshire (leeds & North Yorkshire)

I have plenty but it would breach the confidences of people I work with so no specifics I am afraid.

The lads running the management company are a keen and pleasant bunch and I think do their best given they have limited manoevrability. The shops may well have two year rent free periods but they still have to pay rates, taxes, wages, utilities, etc. I would be concerned that there is simply not enough trade to sustain the businesses (except Tesco and the Alea) beyond 2010. I seek no pleasure in this either, some nice people down there. I had a decent meal in Larocca last week.

No idea if and when the guided bus will happen but I do think it will bring many positive benefits to the whole area.

So are you going to buy then? Do you realise how much values would need to drop to make them comparable to rents?

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have lived in Aspect 14 for over four years now, renting :lol: at 695/month throughout. I'd have to say the area isn't quite as bad as has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Not had any issues in my time there apart from the usual bit of noise at weekends you get in these apartments. I go to the local pubs now and then as well, a bit rough but no worse than some of the ones down the Headrow or near the station.

Personally I do not want to buy a flat as a FTB, I'd prefer to buy a house rather than a box. In the 4 years I've saved 10k+ so an OK 2 or 3 bed would suit me fine as my flatmate also has a similar deposit (and I'd probably be able to ask the parents for a loan but prefer not to). We both walk to work, and want the 2/3 bedder to be within walking distance of the centre (for supermarkets/gym etc). Leeds seems to have a real shortage of properties in somewhat decent areas within walking distance of the city. So I'm pretty much resigned to renting while I stay in Leeds.

Edited by Pick It Down
Have lived in Aspect 14 for over four years now, renting :lol: at 695/month throughout. I'd have to say the area isn't quite as bad as has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Not had any issues in my time there apart from the usual bit of noise at weekends you get in these apartments. I go to the local pubs now and then as well, a bit rough but no worse than some of the ones down the Headrow or near the station.

blimey. not much of a comparison. haven't you tried the Briggate bunch - Whitelocks, The Angel (real gem - allegedly haunted) and of course North Bar. Not to mention The Grove.

and fwiw leeds centre is surrounded by council estates, so I wouldn't bother buying a house for long term anywhere accessible to the city centre. Half decent area is LS3/LS6 by the Uni (NOT Little London!?!?!?!?!?!), but still noisy and sees crime. You might like LS4 / LS5 which feel urban but quieter and have smashing bus connection to town now along Burley road - 10mins.

With the students moving into massive private halls there are lots of empty former HMOs in LS4 especially (I live here) and I know families are moving back in which is a welcome change from the studentification.

Edited by Si1
Any idea what % drop from peak is?

House was estimated to be £400,000 in 2007 so I would say 23.5% drop from peak. Is that what you meant? Still a ridiculous amount for a house, and the transaction I think is is no way representative of whats happening in the market in general.

House was estimated to be £400,000 in 2007 so I would say 23.5% drop from peak. Is that what you meant? Still a ridiculous amount for a house, and the transaction I think is is no way representative of whats happening in the market in general.

Yeah drop from peak. 23.5% isnt bad, but I'm sure it still costs a lot more to buy than rent.

• 2 weeks later...
Leeds auction result:

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/LotDe...amp;S=C&O=A

3 Wood Moor Court, Sandmoor Avenue, West Yorkshire LS17 7DR

Lot 426, Auction 17th and 19th February 2009, Guide Price £145,000 - £165,000, Result £180,500

From Land Registry, originally sold for £360k on 29/06/07.

Sox

Wow, that's quite a fall. It just goes to show how crazy the property market was in Leeds just a few years ago. I remember seeing flats for sale in Leeds City centre in the region of £400,000 and thinking at the time just who can afford that?

PPM

Im thinking about buying a 2 bed flat in leeds city centre, seen quite a few at west point that are reasonably priced. Anyone know much about this development? Ive done a little research, bit tricky for price comparisons though because they are all different floor plans, but i think £120K with parking is where the price needs to be. Was hoping to line up some viewings this week, then realised that theyve all put their prices up this week! - from £149K to £175K ! this particular one has been on the marked for 18 months which has set alarm bells ringin for me.

Im wanting to buy the flat outright, I know its not a financially savvy move but i want the security of owning my own place, so i can raise £120K cash, anyone think there is a better development for my money? I need the 2 beds and parking, and walking distance of the train station is essential. Im not keen on the armouries development, just not for me. - Oh and if theres a decent ea in leeds let me know because all the ones ive spoken to so far are full of it, dont assume a cash buyer is a niave first time buyer ffs

any help much appreciated....

Im thinking about buying a 2 bed flat in leeds city centre, seen quite a few at west point that are reasonably priced. Anyone know much about this development? Ive done a little research, bit tricky for price comparisons though because they are all different floor plans, but i think £120K with parking is where the price needs to be. Was hoping to line up some viewings this week, then realised that theyve all put their prices up this week! - from £149K to £175K ! this particular one has been on the marked for 18 months which has set alarm bells ringin for me.

Im wanting to buy the flat outright, I know its not a financially savvy move but i want the security of owning my own place, so i can raise £120K cash, anyone think there is a better development for my money? I need the 2 beds and parking, and walking distance of the train station is essential. Im not keen on the armouries development, just not for me. - Oh and if theres a decent ea in leeds let me know because all the ones ive spoken to so far are full of it, dont assume a cash buyer is a niave first time buyer ffs

Hi,

If you are seeking advice on buying a flat in Leeds you are probably looking on the wrong website!

However, as a compromise, why don't you try a 6/12 month let to really suss the place out?

Regards

Sox

Hi,

If you are seeking advice on buying a flat in Leeds you are probably looking on the wrong website!

However, as a compromise, why don't you try a 6/12 month let to really suss the place out?

Regards

Sox

I'd second that - you'll find rent cheaper than mortgage. Try gumtree but watch out for scammers.

Can't see flat prices going up even in medium term unless houses go up first.

One thing you have sussed though IMO - you MUST have parking

PS west point is a building site.

Also don't forget about £1000 service charge on top of council tax

Even though you don't need a mortgage I would think carefully about buying an apartment. They are leasehold and have a service charge. What will happen to the service charge when the managing company decides it needs a bit more cash in hand or inflation starts to go large? Leeds is having a crash in a league of its own right now, look at the results in Eddisons last auction Eddisions 19 Feb. Freehold houses in Leeds are getting more reasonable by the day. Just wait a while and they'll be back to £20k, which is about what they are worth. Stay away from the students and the criminals though.

cheers for the replies. 6 month let to suss it out is a good idea, seems as though the prices wont rise in the near future. Giving auction bidding serious consideration as it seems the only sensible way of finding the true market value.

If you are still tempted to buy don't buy of-plan. See Luminere threads

Hunters - best of a bad bunch

Brewery wharf

Don't buy, rent.

Once the communal areas turn to ratshit then you have slum city.

How many millions did they spend refurbishing k2 after only 30 years?

my letting agents are manning stainton - no idea if they do city centre rentals or not - and they are broadly pretty businesslike and clued up.

Dunno about them as estate agents tho, just letting agents. Spencers are very good imho but I think they only rent out their own stock, mainly to students/young profs, prob not in the city centre.

• 2 weeks later...
Prices in Pudsey are slipping on small 1 bed houses at the moment. I have been watching Rightmove for a couple of months and the prices are dropping by up to 5k at a time.

The market is stone dead in Pudsey at the moment, my mate is trying to sell his house. It's been on the market for about 8 weeks with only one viewing. So far he has had to knock 4k off the asking price, there is just no interest what so ever.

I know exactly what you mean, i was looking to rent in pudsey or farlsley and the price is really cheap, really nice spacious 3 bedroom town houses are going for £500pcm compared to the 600pcm i was quoted in the middle of last year, surley a sign that people are struggling to sell and are just trying to make some money rather than nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

We are an Estate Agency based in Chapel Allerton, North Leeds and have a small, knowledgeable and friendly team.

We cover the whole of Leeds for both Sales and Lettings....

Why not give us a try?

We are an Estate Agency based in Chapel Allerton, North Leeds and have a small, knowledgeable and friendly team.

We cover the whole of Leeds for both Sales and Lettings....

Why not give us a try?

Welcome to the forum, you can spend many a happy hour here.

By the way, what's your lowest price?

And now?