HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Don't know whether to laugh or cry......

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=350453

...answers on a postcard please...

This quote is unbelievable:

Perhaps by having my parents guarantor the mortgage? They have over 100k equity/collateral now on their house

Cheeky cow!

I can't believe that anyone would seriously consider going after 100% of the equity in their parent's home!

Mind you not half so amazing as the fact that no one has given her the simple answer to her question: Any way to get a £150k mortgage on low salary? - No!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Degree counts for naff all these days IMO, I've seen some shockingly ill-equipped graduates, miles behind those of similar age who worked during that period

Not this old chestnut again. I've seen some shockingly ill-equipped people who never went to university. Studied at the univerisity of life apparently. Which they seem to think somehow makes it alright. And besides it's not how far behind they are when they start it's how far in front they are when they finished, not many non-graduate CEO's these days.

On topic, the guy is obviously a wind-up merchant or a loon. Not worth worrying about as he's plainly never going to acquire that sum on £15k anyway. I'm more worried about the people who CAN afford it short term, either as OO or BTL but will come hopelessly unstuck if interest rates rise and/or they don't get good capital appreciation. These are the kind of people who are driving the market ever upwards.

Edited by peemac

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Degree counts for naff all these days IMO, I've seen some shockingly ill-equipped graduates, miles behind those of similar age who worked during that period

I think there is an enormous amount of ignorance of what a degree actually is in this country.

There are no standardised degress in the UK. The quality of the degree varies from university to university. While some people know this fact, a lot of other people try very loudly to deny it, because they want to defend the quality of their inferior degree. Get over it: Degrees are not all the same. And they are not going to be for the foreseeable either, because there are no proposals for an overarching standards system to normalise them.

Top employers know that degrees are not equal, and many now operate a "white list" policy, only considering applications from a small subset of universities in the UK (Oxbridge etc.)

On the other hand, phrases like "shockingly ill-equipped graduates" and comparisons of fresh graduates in the work place with people who have several years work experience are fatuous. Universities are not work training courses. People learn skills other than those directly applicable to the daily reality of working for an employer. That doesn't mean that they are not worth employing, because they have knowledge, and have proved an ability (assuming the degree is from the top tier of universities of course) above and beyond the normal. This will be valuable to the employer once the workplace skills have been layered on top. That's why employers traditionally sought out graduates.

In my experience, a lot of people who have a downer on graduates (as compared to non graduates) either:

Don't understand that universities vary widely, that degree quality varies just as widely, and they may be talking about graduates from the least regarded places, which may very well be amongst the poorest candidates, and therefore people less able than the top non-graduates.

And/Or

Don't actually require graduate level skills in their employees, and therefore would often be better off not considering them, because they would bring apptitudes and skills that are of no use to the employer's routine business, at the expense of lacking daily skills which are required.

(PS forgot - also And/Or Don't have a degree, or have the Desmond and a bit of a chip)

Edited by Levy process

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

But she does plan to buy in a 'sort after' area.

If this is the standard of literacy we can expect from the average MSc candidate, is it any wonder that a degree no longer commands much respect? From my own experience in industry I can confirm that the 'White List' does exist and is generally interpreted as the 19 universities which comprise the Russell Group - Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, Bristol, Manchester etc.

Edited by Red Baron

HOLA4418

If this is the standard of literacy we can expect from the average MSc candidate, is it any wonder that a degree no longer commands much respect?

Without any disrespect meant to any individual poster on here, the standard of spelling, grammar and punctuation on here are depressingly poor (I know this is an internet forum but bad spelling is still bad spelling wherever it's done).

HOLA4419
Without any disrespect meant to any individual poster on here, the standardof spelling, grammar and punctuation on here are depressingly poor (I know this is an internet forum but bad spelling is still bad spelling wherever it's done).

C-...see me after school... ;)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
I have been moaning about standards declining even in the broadsheets. Looks like proofreading has been abandoned in favour of spell chequers...

...sorry, couldn't resist it again...

You throw 'em, I'll catch 'em

:lol:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

If this is the standard of literacy we can expect from the average MSc candidate, is it any wonder that a degree no longer commands much respect? From my own experience in industry I can confirm that the 'White List' does exist and is generally interpreted as the 19 universities which comprise the Russell Group - Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, Bristol, Manchester etc.

There's actually 20 universities in the Russell group, all good institutions. Although the top university for graduate employment isn't part of it.

HOLA4424

Plenty of extremely intelligent and capable people can't spell, especially in the tech sector.

The idea that arbitrary characteristics such as spelling ability, quality of handwriting, and whether you dress smartly have much impact on your chances of getting a good job is a bit outdated I think.

frug.

HOLA4425
Plenty of extremely intelligent and capable people can't spell, especially in the tech sector.

The idea that arbitrary characteristics such as spelling ability, quality of handwriting, and whether you dress smartly have much impact on your chances of getting a good job is a bit outdated I think.

frug.

Yeah look at that Hawkins. He's a right scruffy git moping about in his wheelchair. Slurs his words too, lazy ba5tard and I'll bet his handwriting ain't up to much either.

I wouldn't give him a job. I wouldn't give that scruffy tw@t Jobs one either, nor Gates.

Edited by peemac