House Price Crash Forum

Down Periscope, Prepare To Dive

Phone call was to the letting agent. Letting agent called back within minutes. The Indian family with new baby have lived there a year since coming to the u.k., they couldn't say no.

HMS Greedisgood is a very fancy boat that has been glamourised by the press. And made a lot of people rich, the rate rises must go way higher than this. IMHO

.. one question is , is this rent raise inflationary? Or does it just evaporate.

It's certainly 50 quid that can't be spent elsewhere.

Glamorous boats aren't necessarily seaworthy.

Bit arrogant really calling yourself 'Realist Bear'. Putting yourself on a bit of a pedestal there. Like you feel you've got a clearer insight than others???? Hey, calm down, it's just my opinion of how your name sounds.

Believe it or not this forum is made up of all sorts of people with differing opinions, as such there is no 'official' line. Some think the bulls are nowhere to be seen, others don't. Such opinions can change as quickly as a post is made.

As for the future, I think most bears have a little belief (and a little hope) that the housing market might become a little more realistic in the furture. Nothing wrong with that. Hope is good and bears have good cause for renewed hope this week.

I agree that "Realist Bear" is an arrogant name. Hence my caricature of it.

I also (and this may surprise you) share your hope that the housing market becomes more realistic. I am bullish in that I suspect the market will remain reasonably buoyant for a while yet, but I would like to see, and expect to see, an eventual price correction, preferably gradual. I don't want a sudden crash because of its impact on the wider economy, and therefore on our jobs. But a long slow decline, I could live with.

I agree that "Realist Bear" is an arrogant name. Hence my caricature of it.

I also (and this may surprise you) share your hope that the housing market becomes more realistic. I am bullish in that I suspect the market will remain reasonably buoyant for a while yet, but I would like to see, and expect to see, an eventual price correction, preferably gradual. I don't want a sudden crash because of its impact on the wider economy, and therefore on our jobs. But a long slow decline, I could live with.

You've just stated there what you'd like to see not what you're seeing and your-hoped for consequences.

Considering your earlier criticisms of previous posters, the difference is? (other, of course, than they don't share your views).

You've just stated there what you'd like to see not what you're seeing and your-hoped for consequences.

Considering your earlier criticisms of previous posters, the difference is? (other, of course, than they don't share your views).

Markets fluctuate. This is a given.

For that reason I expect to see HPI fall. In time, house prices in real terms must drop. Not even the bull with the loudest snort would claim that house prices will never ever fall ever again. They must, because it's a market, and that's what happens. Not worth arguing about.

What is worth discussing is WHEN it will happen, by HOW MUCH, and for HOW LONG it will continue. Unlike most people on this site, I don't claim to know the answers to these key questions. Many people here fail to see the difference between 1) what will happen and 2) what they would like to happen. This is the same failure that makes huge profits for bookmakers who offer odds on football matches.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, the third torpedo has been despatched at the lumbering freighter and now we just have to sit tight with our stopwatches ticking and wait for the sound of the percussions to reach us... CRUMPF... CRUMPF... CRUMPF... muffled but ghastly through the dark water. Then the squeal of bulkheads collapsing as the ridiculously top-heavy, overcrowded vessel heads gracefully to the bottom. :o:lol:

If you feel a bit down any time soon, just imagine those torpedoes, unstoppable and closing in fast. :)

I missed this thread when it was first 'aired', but the analogy is quite true. Although, it's more like I'm part of a crowd who's discovered the incoming torpedos, and i've tried to warn everyone without a rubber ring - but have been laughed at. So, I move off to less luxury life boat, yet we're still laughed at living in cramped conditions. But I don't want everyone to drown, I just didn't want the captain to steer the boat into the incoming torpedo's.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I missed this thread first time round, awesome stuff. :D

Time and Tide, have you been watching Das Boot by any chance? :lol:

I'm hoping for screams of ALARRRRRRRRRRRRRRM!!!!! on Thursday!

:lol: Love it.

DasBoot_GF1x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I missed this thread first time round, awesome stuff. :D

Time and Tide, have you been watching Das Boot by any chance? :lol:

I'm hoping for screams of ALARRRRRRRRRRRRRRM!!!!! on Thursday!

Yea, :P great film, isn't it...

Basically a bunch of guys jammed together in a dank, dark, smelly environment, getting bored, waiting for that one long-delayed moment of vindication and glory....

Pity the torpedo got jammed in the tube this week, but all ready to resurface to periscope depth next month...

Yes, the third torpedo has been despatched at the lumbering freighter and now we just have to sit tight with our stopwatches ticking and wait for the sound of the percussions to reach us... CRUMPF... CRUMPF... CRUMPF... muffled but ghastly through the dark water. Then the squeal of bulkheads collapsing as the ridiculously top-heavy, overcrowded vessel heads gracefully to the bottom. :o:lol:

If you feel a bit down any time soon, just imagine those torpedoes, unstoppable and closing in fast. :)

A little abstract for me. Is it me?

• 3 months later...
Actualy I thought it was a reference to the three interest rate rises which have already happened and wil be starting to take effect now.

As for VIs on the starboard bow, we've had those for years.

I did not take the OP to be a reference to IR hikes. In fact i didn't take it to be a reference to anything other than general wishfully thinking. I put it in the camp of "tighten seat belts, mind your head, put a nappy on, here we go" and all the other stuff you see punted round here. Sadly, the truth is that HPI is going like a train. As for condemning vested interests, the irony is sublime.....

If interest rate rises won't have any effect, why have so many bulls and trolls turned up lately to tell us so?

It's not so long ago that the bulls and trolls were proudly proclaiming 'the next interest change will be a cut and we should get on the boat before it sails without us'... now they're having to resort to telling us that, ok, interest rates are now 50% higher than they were a few years ago with more expected, but it won't make any difference anyway.

Every index proclaims HPI is going up. It needs to stop but i cant see it yet.

Sadly, the truth is that HPI is going like a train.

Yes but the train is going too fast for the approaching a set of points that are set for the sidings, the driver is going down the train telling everyone of problem.....

'oh there is nothing to worry about sir', he explains and opens the door.

'so there is no need to panic then?'

'No in theory we may come off the rails but this train is different' he shouts as he jumps off.

killerbee.

Edited by killerbee
And what's really great about it is that it's in true HPC tradition.

Celebrating disaster to come. Never ever disaster now.

The glee is always aimed at what you would like to see, not at what you are actually seeing.

Ever noticed that?

I now see interest rates rising, first time buyer numbers down, wages not keeping up with house prices, small reductions in asking prices, not to mention all the numerous gloomy articles in newspapers regarding the property market.

Oh Spain is in a bit of a mess too, I imagine a few Brits have got second mortgages there adding further pressure on them.

Now have you noticed that ?

PS : Oh and the formation of groups like 'PricedOut.org' and errr.. this website. If one person in the whole country says they are priced out of the market you might just ignore them, but now if you get a whole group.....

Edited by Bill