House Price Crash Forum

Won't There Come A Point This Year ..

Won't there come a point this year where the stagnation in the housing market, caused by the unaffordability of property driven ever upwards by EAs and VI spin, when the lack of property turnover will really start to hurt EAs?

When this point is reached (realised) their best option will be to precipitate as short and sharp a correction as possible to re esablish demand. A long drawn out stagnant flat market will really hurt.

In my opinion we will see them start to talk the market down by the summer but they'll have a big job on as they've spent years convincing the sheeple that a cardboard box in a desirable area really is worth £.25m+ !!

They're screwed :lol:

Edited by Prude
Won't there come a point this year where the stagnation in the housing market, caused by the unaffordability of property driven ever upwards by EAs and VI spin, when the lack of property turnover will really start to hurt EAs?

When this point is reached (realised) their best option will be to precipitate as short and sharp a correction as possible to re esablish demand. A long drawn out stagnant flat market will really hurt.

In my opinion we will see them start to talk the market down by the summer but they'll have a big job on as they've spent years convinving the sheeple that a cardboard box in a desirable area really is worth £.25m+ !!

but if you believe everything on this site the whole uk economy is on the brink of collapse - so you're screwed too :).

In my opinion we will see them start to talk the market down by the summer but they'll have a big job on as they've spent years convinving the sheeple that a cardboard box in a desirable area really is worth £.25m+ !!

I lived through the last crash in London and what I can safely predict is that EA firms will already be pencilling in a big cut in bonuses and then follow up with a big cull of junior sales staff at the end of March 2007. The full year figures are pretty much in already for December year end firms and with market volume in free fall the top management will probably be holding meetings as we speak.

I can also safely predict that many people working in agents will already have been told they must raise their game and as the pressure grows they will be left with no option but to tell buyers to cut prices or take their business elsewhere. When you have to make your numbers as any who has ever been a saleman knows you would rather have a sale at any price rather than none at all.

It happened last time and it will happen again.

if you believe everything on this site the whole uk economy is on the brink of collapse

What does Britain do these days other than lend money to people to buy ever more expensive houses and sell them on the next sucker?

We have an economy largely based on rising house prices and easy credit. When those come to an end, what will be left? Even north sea oil is running out.

Brown can't hire everyone to be 'diversity counsellors' or 'tree planning operatives'.

What does Britain do these days other than lend money to people to buy ever more expensive houses and sell them on the next sucker?

We have an economy largely based on rising house prices and easy credit. When those come to an end, what will be left? Even north sea oil is running out.

Brown can't hire everyone to be 'diversity counsellors' or 'tree planning operatives'.

What's going to happen? People will restart working and thinking and using their brains to thrive. The little period of easy money has gone, not comes the time for the

strong people.

People will restart working and thinking and using their brains to thrive.

Who is going to 'restart working' and what are they going to do that can't be done much cheaper abroad?

And where will they get the money from to start up a company to do whatever they've found that's worth doing here?

Friend worked as an EA before the last crash, i remember him having new flash company cars, first a new Xr2, then an XR3i. Believe it or not, i was jealous. When buyers started to get few and far between his car went and not long after his job. He said things changed from it being a sellers market (making up prices as they went along, sucking up to sellers) to telling them they had to drop prices and being quite aggressive about it (they needed to be as people wouldn't/couldn't believe it (house prices always go up)).

but if you believe everything on this site the whole uk economy is on the brink of collapse - so you're screwed too :).

bring it on - the current way of living and being is insane. Many lessons will be learnt during the coming depression.

Back to VIs though - can't wait for them to join forces with us to talk it all down as fast as poss! :lol:

Edited by Prude

I think a key difference is that people are, if it's possible, even more actively interested in the value of their home than ever before largely thanks to the internet.

People consider the value of their home to be whatever the one round the corner is on Rightmove for, maybe a bit more, certainly not a penny less.

I suspect this is how EAs arrive at many of the valuations.

It's also why so little ever sells here, since the "benchmark" properties - on the market since 2003/4 - were overpriced then and remain overpriced now despite reductions.

I think a key difference is that people are, if it's possible, even more actively interested in the value of their home than ever before largely thanks to the internet.

People consider the value of their home to be whatever the one round the corner is on Rightmove for, maybe a bit more, certainly not a penny less.

I suspect this is how EAs arrive at many of the valuations.

It's also why so little ever sells here, since the "benchmark" properties - on the market since 2003/4 - were overpriced then and remain overpriced now despite reductions.

Must be some EAs on the brink then ..

What will happen when the new BTL brigade get repoed - no more nice monthly management fees either - Oh dear :P