House Price Crash Forum

Historic Interest Rates, Historic Average

Here's the historic interest rates: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mfsd/iadb/R...p?Travel=NIxIRx

In the attached spreadsheet you can work out the average interest rates over any time frame, this also takes into account the duration of that rate, so a long period of no changes is taken into account:

Have a play around..:

Historic_Interest_Rates_Combined_With_Inflation.zip

Historic_Interest_Rates_Combined_With_Inflation.zip

Edited by Jason
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Just some clarification, in the second column is the inflation rate for that year. As an example if the suffix M says 12 that means that £1 that year is equivalent to £12 today.

Here is the excel file with IRs back to 1694 and inflation inserted back to 1750.

Edited by Jason
  • 2 weeks later...

A most useful data set. Thank you for sharing it.

A question: I have been trying to work out the cumulative compounded interest since mid-1935, using the time period applying to each rate change. Do you have any ideas as to how I could do this, please?

• 3 weeks later...
A most useful data set. Thank you for sharing it.

A question: I have been trying to work out the cumulative compounded interest since mid-1935, using the time period applying to each rate change. Do you have any ideas as to how I could do this, please?

That would be quite easy to do, just add your figure in down near the year 1935, and copy the formula up multiplying it against the interest rate divided by 365 for the daily interest rate (or if your smart work out how many days in that year, which will take into account leap years) times the number of days that rate was applicable.

• 2 months later...
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Done! :)

A further favour could you update the file in post #4. I tried on my download but am not familiar with playing with excel as I have a very old version. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Done.

Hopefully, I'll have to update it again on Thursday.

Thanks Jason I will now be able to email it to my Clientele who have been pushing me for a few weeks. You would be surprised who is interested in this file. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Updated with base rate change to 1.5% on 8th Jan 09.

This looks like a great set of data, but being new here, I'm a little confused as to the terminology.

What does columns showing data such as "2.9%-M-1.0" as for example in November 2003 mean?

I take it M represents the inflation adjusted value of sterling at the time - ie in November 2003 a pound is worth the same as it is now?

What does the 2.9% represent, is this the average mortgage rates margin over base rate?

Are average mortgage rates shown as fixeds or SVR? If fixed what length of fixed?

Many Thanks Jason,

The Dark Knight