House Price Crash Forum

What Is Wrong With This Picture?

I don't think this is an urban myth...

1. Neighbour of a relative advertises the family car in the local paper for circa £8k.

2. Two guys of Eastern appearance turn up to view. Like car. Agree to buy.

3. Next day they turn up with a cheque for £8k. Cheque is from the DHS.

4. Vendor is suspicious. Will not release car until it checks out.

5. Two gents leave, leaving cheque. Vendor phones DHS to check all is OK. "Oh yes, Sir. This is quite genuine and normal. The assistance is so that they have transport to look for work..."

6. Vendor is taken aback but banks cheque.

7. Once cheque is cleared the two guys, collect car and drive away.

Two weeks later....

7. Friend of vendor sees the car pull up in local supermarket. Old chap gets out who she knows.

8. Vendor says "Nice car, used to be XXXX's"

9. Old chap "Yes. Really? Actually, I bought it yesterday from two gents. Only paid £5k. A bit of a steal really for its age and condition!"

10. Once original vendor got to hear of this she was onto the DHS top complain. Needless to say DHS did not give a toss.

Nice to know our taxes are being looked after so carefully. Makes you wonder how well they take care of our other important stuff - like nuclear fuel, etc? :angry:

Guest muttley

Very annoying, but not a new phenomena. 25 years ago I knew a girl who became a single mother (think Pulp "Disco 2000") and moved into council property, much to the dismay of her middle-class parents. She told me of a scam where people (not her) would move all the furniture out of their new property,and ask the DHSS to come round and inspect. They would then receive a cheque to buy new furniture, but would then move in all the old furniture which they had hidden next door.

I suppose there have always been people who are prepared to play the system. I feel sorry for honest, hard working people who live hand to mouth when I read stories like this.

1. Neighbour of a relative advertises the family car in the local paper for circa £8k.

5. Two gents leave, leaving cheque. Vendor phones DHS to check all is OK. "Oh yes, Sir. This is quite genuine and normal. The assistance is so that they have transport to look for work..."

Two weeks later....

7. Friend of vendor sees the car pull up in local supermarket. Old chap gets out who she knows.

9. Old chap "Yes. Really? Actually, I bought it yesterday from two gents. Only paid £5k. A bit of a steal really for its age and condition!"

10. Once original vendor got to hear of this she was onto the DHS top complain. Needless to say DHS did not give a toss.

Nice to know our taxes are being looked after so carefully. Makes you wonder how well they take care of our other important stuff - like nuclear fuel, etc? :angry:

urban myth.

frug.

Two weeks later....

This makes me SICK. Where was this? Have you sent these details to the newspapers? The Daily Maul should get this story NOW. SICK SICK SICK. This country is SICK.

Urban Myth is it?

Nice to see the media managed to hush up the wildcat strikes in a few DSS branches up here last year. These were caused by the staff getting utterly sick of handing out backdated benefit cheques. You see, although as the bleeding hearts love to tell us, Asylum Seekers get reduced benefits, they fail to tell you they get them backdated and paid after three years. In one hit.

Turns out the £14,000 cheques the staff were handing over was about a years wages to most of them, and they were fair sick of it. Hence the one day action.

I wonder, does objecting to this make me a 'racist'? Do I even give a flying ****?

Yes of course it is an urban myth. Would you like to post a link to any reference to a government regulation which allows the DWP (it hasn't been the DHSS since 1988) to give out grants for a car "so that they have transport to look for work". They might be able to help with your bus fare to get you to an interview, but that is about it.

Muttley's anecdote on the other hand is probably true, there is a discretionary emergency social fund which can be used to buy furniture if you are destitute.

frug.

Yes of course it is an urban myth. Would you like to post a link to any reference to a government regulation which allows the DWP (it hasn't been the DHSS since 1988) to give out grants for a car "so that they have transport to look for work". They might be able to help with your bus fare to get you to an interview, but that is about it.

Muttley's anecdote on the other hand is probably true, there is a discretionary emergency social fund which can be used to buy furniture if you are destitute.

frug.

In fact just Google 'social fund'. There are some grants, but these are very specific, such as for a new baby and for funeral. Most of the other elements of the social fund are LOANS - i.e. you have to pay it back (albeit interest-free). I remember i was working in the DSS when Thatcher changed the grant system to a loan, so this is an urban myth that is 18 years out of date.

Billy-G, please post any article on the web about these wildcat strikes - or was it soooo hushed up there is nothing at all on the Internet?

It made the news on Radio Clyde for about an afternoon up here Ian, after that it went the way of the Asian gang rape story, where it was pulled after a few airings on the news. A lot of controversial stuff up here does get pulled after a very brief time as a headline, to be honest. I'll see if I can find it though.

I may be wrong, but I think the radio Journalist had a soundbite from an un-named employee who was commenting on the benefit cheques getting written.

The reason it all sticks in the head, is that about a week after I heard the story on the news, my wife (an IFA) did a remortgage for a couple, and the wife worked in the branch which had the strikes, and she gave her the full story on it. Lets just say the feelings conveyed were a little less than P.C. - it turns out the action was little to do with performance evaluation, but a lot to do with pay freezes, abuse of the staff from members of the public and no support from management on this, and the infamous 'backdated Giro', two words which even the most English challenged Asylum Seekers seem to be able to grasp. Her words, not mine.

Edited to say - There you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3671419.stm Seems like less than nearly three years ago now!!

Edited by billy-g

I had a 'loan' for £28 from the social fund a few years back (2002). I'd just got back from Australia and literally did not have a pot to pi55 in. Self inflicted I grant you, after cadging my way around the world for a year, but at least I'd paid into the system prior to leaving. I went into the social said I was skint and they lent me £4 a day for week. They then spent the next 3 years chasing me for it and I only paid up when we had a child and applied for tax credit.

Benefit abuse and scams are absolutely rife. A girl I used to be acquainted with as a teenager many years ago used to get someone to cash her giro, walk into the socia, tell them it had been stolen and get another one. She did it 4 weeks in a row once. :o

Edited to say - There you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3671419.stm Seems like less than nearly three years ago now!!

I think this might have been a different strike altogether. Seems to make reference to the implementation a performance evaluation scheme (never popular in the public sector for some reason) and nothing to do with paying out cash to asylum seekers.