House Price Crash Forum
fatso

Roger Bootle - Interesting Torygraph Article

This leads to the conclusion that there is probably a lot of speculation built into the housing market, in the sense that the price that people are prepared to pay for property is founded on the belief that prices will go on rising smartly. But if that faith were to fail then the demand for property would fall.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...2/26/ccom26.xml

fatso

An excellent article, I just think he was about 12 months out (as was I)

2007 is going to be an interesting ride. All my hatches are battened down, awaiting the storm. :ph34r:

the most interesting thing was the VIs dependence on immigration and their belief that ever increasing numbers of immigrants are the key to high house prices.

that explains why so many people who may have been previously oposed to immigration are so gung-ho for it.

im agnostic on the question.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

An excellent article, I just think he was about 12 months out (as was I)

2007 is going to be an interesting ride. All my hatches are battened down, awaiting the storm. :ph34r:

And did not dear old Roger predict in 2005 that IRs would be 3.5% end of 2006. :P

....and this article on the explosion of personal debt in the Independent reminds us why the market is so vulnerable.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...icle2103690.ece

'The ballooning number of personal bankruptcies and IVAs give the lie to the notion that we can borrow our way out of debt. And it seems self-evident that banks cannot continue to profit from customers who are going broke. Yet, in the short term, that's exactly what they're doing.'

Did anyone notice it was a virtual copy of the thing someone posted on here recently - a word document called Bear and Bull.

The author on here said it was a dialogue he'd prepared to counter his father's arguements that prices won't crash.

The similarities were more than coincidence me thinks!

the most interesting thing was the VIs dependence on immigration and their belief that ever increasing numbers of immigrants are the key to high house prices.

that explains why so many people who may have been previously oposed to immigration are so gung-ho for it.

The bigggest scam in christendom

Did anyone notice it was a virtual copy of the thing someone posted on here recently - a word document called Bear and Bull.

The author on here said it was a dialogue he'd prepared to counter his father's arguements that prices won't crash.

I'm copyrighting all my posts from now on

:lol:

© dnd ltd 2006

Fatso - the place for this is on the newsblog - interesting how there tends to be a different readership there than on the forum - I shall post it there.

I thought the newsblog was now just a lot of opinions from Firstrung - you may as well opinion them in the forum. If there is ever an article worth reading, someone kindly posts in the Forum anyway.

It also explains why people who used to think immigration is a good thing are not so sure.

Personally I moved up the housing ladder because of immigration so I know from personal experience that helps HPI.

Personally I think that immigration has caused house prices to rise and we are in trouble if a) immigration reduces a high price crash will damage the economy and B) immigration does not reduce HPI will continue which will be bad for young people and people want to move etc.

Thanks Tony.

Edited by iamnumerate

Personally I moved up the housing ladder because of immigration so I know from personal experience that helps HPI.

ladder?

ladder?

I rented rooms to immigrants and saved the money and put it to a deposit for a more expensive house.

Now I do the same and can pay my mortgage. Of course with pay rises I hopefully won't need them in the future.

Are you hinting that my dear old Dad might be Roger Bootle?

:lol::lol::lol:

I think we just looked at the same data in the same way.

Have to get to work on the 2nd draft of Bear and Bull soon, I'll let you all see it when it's finished!

It also explains why people who used to think immigration is a good thing are not so sure.

immigration per se is not necessarily bad!!!!!!

....depends what the motive behind immigration is.

If we are seriously short of skilled people then it's worthwhile poaching a few from elsewhere.

THIS ROUND OF IMMIGRATION IS DIFFERENT.

I Don't think there is a great amount of skill required for serving at a restaurant.....god knows I used to when I was 18 as a part-time job to get through uni.

...the immigrants that come here ARE well educated,and THIS is the type of job they are doing.

....meantime,we have an army of inumerate,illiterate chavs who can't be bothered to work and get paid MORE than these immigrants for loafing around in parks drinking Thunderbird all day.

I honestly don't know who comes out best out of this.

....from a country point of view,it's not exactly running a tight ship is it?.

THE GOVERNMENT WANT A POOL OF UNEMPLOYED TO KEEP THE WAGES DOWN/TAXES UP.....DEPENDENCY.

...if people are easy to replace with cheaper alternatives then the T's&C's of such establishments will be reduced horribly.

...if an employer has difficulty sourcing your skill they will cough up the cash.....basic supply and demand.

You do know that there as well as there being hard working immigrants that there are lots of immigrant chavs ?

Sadly I am related to some by marriage and they live off our taxes just the same as UK ones do.

Also many hard working immigrants get subsidised housing - unlike all English people I know who work.

Personally I think immigration could be a good thing if we said no benefits for 5 years, break the law and you get deported and of course - no more muslims I travel in London so I'd rather not get blown up.